Poser 11 SR7 is available

• @anomalaus said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@Deecey these issues may relate to a missing font in MacOS Sierra. Could you check to see if you have the 'Apple Symbols' font in the 'Font Book' application? It's missing on my system, yet is described in this tech note: Fonts included with macOS Sierra as being included. Since, I believe, that that is the font that Poser probably relies on to display the ⌘ symbol (I've done some research to enable Unicode text entry, that was u2318). It is definitely NOT the font called 'Symbol', which does not include that character (apparently named 'Place of interest').

I will attempt to download and install 'Apple Symbols' font and report whether that fixes the problem, which would then definitely be an OS update, rather than Poser issue.

[EDIT} Hmmm, might have jumped the gun here. I DO have Apple Symbols font installed. Font book just decides to group all of the /Library/Fonts contents before any of the /System/Library/Fonts contents, so the alphabetic list starts again at A, and Apple Symbols.ttf is located in /System/Library/Fonts.

Not sure where to look now.

I'm on Yosemite, and they aren't there either.

• Well, I finally got an Update Available popup from within PP11, so I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and download/install it.

So far, so good on Windows 7 Pro. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

• It's an oddity. PP11 is 'bloatware' compared to PP 2014. PP11 commandeers almost 1 gig of system ram to just sit there, empty. I see it does render faster, but what is all that ram doing?
    That is PP11 from the start.

• Poser Ambassadors

P11 uses 341 MB when I start it up, a modest increase from 292 MB for PP2014.
    There are several improvements in P11 (UI scaling, vector UI elements, new library, added functionality) which probably increase the footprint.

• @McGrandpa Really? With the latest update, PP11 is sitting at just 315MB, and that's with the 64bit version. Mine doesn't load a figure at start up, otherwise my default scene is the same. And I don't have everything stuffed into a single runtime either.

Of course, that's not including the extra 75MB PP11 requires for the "Chromium Embedded Framework". Apparently, the library is still some sort of web applet. PP11 uses its own embedded copy of Chrome rather than the browser bundled with the OS, such as IE, as previous versions did.

• Mine loads up using less memory than Firefox...

I wonder if some of the load isn't cached data for those reporting high resource usage? My default scene has BB's old Envirosphere, the old "Studiocubed" room, the ground plane, three lights that are on and a default studio texture loaded onto the Envirosphere.

I just let it display the thumbnails for my Character library and, after it was done, the constant, after initial indexing, usage went up an additional 20 meg. Letting it rest for a minute or so... OK, it's evidently cached/stopped and it's still reserved that extra 20 meg after having first opened and displayed the selected content directory. Chromium's reserve has increased, though, due to the indexing/cache, I guess?

TLDR - My P11 Pro loads up at around 212 meg, not counting the initial Chromium load. It increases its request by 20 meg when I first access my default Figure library. After indexing/displaying all thumbs, Chromium load shoots up a bit, and P11's load goes down, but very slightly. IOW - No problems here for me.

Though, I do seem to sometimes have issues after doing a good many renders - Rendering slows to a crawl and I have to exit, clear out the cache, then restart to get suitable speeds again.

• @morkonan said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Though, I do seem to sometimes have issues after doing a good many renders - Rendering slows to a crawl and I have to exit, clear out the cache, then restart to get suitable speeds again.

I've only noticed that issue when doing GPU renders with SuperFly. Does yours do the same or is it with other render setups as well?

• @semicharm said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@morkonan said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:
    I've only noticed that issue when doing GPU renders with SuperFly. Does yours do the same or is it with other render setups as well?

I generally only use Fireflly. I know, I'm a throwback. :) So, it may be across both rendering choices.

I generally only use Fireflly. I know, I'm a throwback. :) So, it may be across both rendering choices.

On the contrary, I sometimes use FF too. Sometimes because it's simply faster than SF on my GPU or CPU. Sometimes it's a stylistic choice. And sometimes I just can't work out how to make a shader look right with SF, if at all.

• I just use Firefly. Did try SuperFly a few times when I first got PP11. Didn't like waiting for hours for a render. I am a "Senior Citizen" now, and not so patient as concerns my play time.
    That Figure I gave was including the 4 "cefclient.exe", the Bonjour Service and Poser.exe. I install only the 64 bit version. The total of those was over 800 megs on starting it up, and I think most of that is with the Library (the cefclient.exes and bonjour). I'd rather Poser never even look at the network. After 15 mins of sitting idle, the total of those is 348,172 megs.
    I was just grumping because PP 11 needs to run half a dozen processes and PP 2014 just needs ONE.

• Although I'm learning more and more about Superfly, I still use Firefly and probably will be using it for a long time to come. I've invested way too much time and energy into FF just to drop it. FF is perfectly ok for what I do, and SF is a little too different, too much to learn before I can start using it comfortably. Colors, light, effects all work kind of differently than FF. However, I do use Superfly sometimes if I need volumetrics or nice refraction, SF rules there. Below is a pic where I combined FF and SF:

(top FF, bottom SF)

***NSFW content***

click to show

So I really hope they don't give up on FF! (but I don't think that was what you guys were originally talking about lol. I just saw Firefly and thought hey!! ;) )

Yep, I have that too sometimes, not often though.

• @erogenesis I don't think they will drop FF since SF's nodes are so intertwined with FF. When they dropped Ladybug there was nothing they needed to keep and also not to many people where using it any more anyway.

• @erogenesis is the wet camera lens and waterline blur part of the compositing postwork?

• @ghostship said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@erogenesis I don't think they will drop FF since SF's nodes are so intertwined with FF. When they dropped Ladybug there was nothing they needed to keep and also not to many people where using it any more anyway.

Good point, I hope so!

@anomalaus said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@erogenesis is the wet camera lens and waterline blur part of the compositing postwork?

it is! although I could have also done the blur in Poser but forgot, lol

To be honest you could probably do that in poser with some special geometry, or even some displacement maps.

• @erogenesis coincidentally, I just happened to be test rendering a scene which has that kind of effect.

0_1502897119245_Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 1.23.08 am.png

I'm going to call it "Two-part epoxy nightmare" or "Refraction, dispersion and caustics! Oh my!"

SF Render with refraction, fake (three colour separated IOR variable) dispersion and caustics. Compare the refraction blurring the upper edge of the left hand where it's embedded to the exposed thumb.

Prop and pose from "Slime Attack" both imported from .duf files into Poser by my script under development. Pose converted from G3F to V4 by the script (required much tweaking as they have markedly different proportions and limb scaling, but passable).

• @anomalaus Oh no! I completely missed the chance to call it "Cloudy, with a chance of metaballs!" ;-)

• @erogenesis

That's a pretty render, and in more ways than one! That area where the air interfaces with water and lens; pretty cool effect. Be hard to check in real life for accuracy in Focus though! But it sure looks good. Wouldn't matter what subjects were in the water either. Human, piscean, crocodillian. ;o)
    Love the scenery set in the background too!
    Yeah ok, the girls look really nice too!

• @erogenesis

That's a great looking render too. Eventually you could get that to look like water, if you wanted to. As it is, it's a great goop render! :)

• @anomalaus said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@erogenesis coincidentally, I just happened to be test rendering a scene which has that kind of effect.

0_1502897119245_Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 1.23.08 am.png

I'm going to call it "Two-part epoxy nightmare" or "Refraction, dispersion and caustics! Oh my!"

Haha, yeah this was similar to my first attempt at water... or rather mud...

alt text

Plorp is the word I was looking for... :D That wasn't metaballs though. That was an actual mesh done in max...

I then moved on to clothsim with a transmap and displacement:

***=NSFW content***

click to show

To actual simulations in Maya:

***=NSFW content***

click to show

This was done using FF's progressive renderer (also a combination of prog and normal FF):

***NSFW content***

click to show

And ended up with SF renders:

***=NSFW content***

click to show

Check here if you wanna see more! Be warned, plenty naughty!

Poser is pretty darned cool!

SF Render with refraction, fake (three colour separated IOR variable) dispersion and caustics. Compare the refraction blurring the upper edge of the left hand where it's embedded to the exposed thumb.

I haven't even gotten into caustics yet. That changes things dramatically in certain scenes!

@anomalaus said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@anomalaus Oh no! I completely missed the chance to call it "Cloudy, with a chance of metaballs!" ;-)

lol! This metaballs is a serious thing. I keep reading about it!

@McGrandpa said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@erogenesis

That's a pretty render, and in more ways than one! That area where the air interfaces with water and lens; pretty cool effect. Be hard to check in real life for accuracy in Focus though! But it sure looks good. Wouldn't matter what subjects were in the water either. Human, piscean, crocodillian. ;o)
    Love the scenery set in the background too!
    Yeah ok, the girls look really nice too!

hehe cheers McGramps! Yeah that contact was a total thumbsuck, I would imagine there would be some kind of glow emanating from the refraction of light on the viscous water on the lens, but whether that really does happen I wouldn't know for sure.