Poser 11 SR7 is available

• Banned

Adi, is there anyway to re-calculate a figures normals? After using Zbrush GOZ on a figure, sometimes the figure has a problem with normals. I can export the figure as an OBJ and then re-import as an OBJ, this fixes the normals, but then I'm stuck with a prop and not a figure.

Is there any python script that can re-calculate a figures normals the same way normals are re-calculated with you import an OBJ?

• @barnardino Well, yes, that's what sel = poser.Scene().CurrentActor() means. That I'm referring to the currently selected actor. But the whole point of using a script is being able to call the methods of on any actor you identify with the script. Only being able to delete the currently selected item would limit scripts to only being able to do what the GUI can currently do.

I don't know that using ProcessCommand won't have the same problem, but since deleting using the GUI doesn't, it might be a temporary solution. That said, it can be problematic to depend on the right actor being selected when the command is processed. I know because I've had to deal with all kinds of idiosyncrasies using that method to duplicate items.

Besides which, we're not talking about a simple script. I identified the problem with those two lines, but this involves several methods I've built for classes that are themselves part of a whole app. There's a lot of moving parts, and I'm not sure what- if anything- suddenly switching around the currently selected item will break.

But thank you so much for the suggestion. I submitted the bug, and I was told it was sent to the engineers early Friday morning, which was wicked fast. Still, it's the holidays, and it would be best if I didn't have to count on the engineers having a solution any time soon.

• @kobaltkween said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Well, yes, that's what sel = poser.Scene().CurrentActor() means. That I'm referring to the currently selected actor. But the whole point of using a script is being able to call the methods of on any actor you identify with the script. Only being able to delete the currently selected item would limit scripts to only being able to do what the GUI can currently do.

@Barnardino said in Poser SR7 is avaliable:

Did you try to delete an object that is not the current selected object ?

So we''re saying the same thing :)

Still as work around, and i'm agree, i don't think it's really usuable, but well, just let you know :
    regarding the current selection, there again you can use poser.ProcessCommand() since in edit menu you have 'next selection' & 'previous selection'

Anyhow, i think they probably messed up when they implemented the 'delete object' menu option vs python.
    Thanks for your ticket submission, because i feel concerned too for some of my tools.
    I hope they classified it as 'critical' :)

• @barnardino Yeah, we pretty much are. I can control the selected actor, as I do with my duplication. That said, that was one of the more tricky parts of my script, because of Poser's random behavior.

Mind, I still haven't tested ProcessCommand() to see if it works. It's logical that it will given that deleting with the GUI works, but given I can't even begin to fathom what went wrong with the update to cause this problem, I'm not betting on anything.

I, too, am concerned about existing scripts. This is an entirely fatal error. If it just didn't work, that would be bad enough, but it fully crashes Poser. I had to debug this, but normal people will probably just avoid those scripts like the plague if they encounter this problem. IMHO, it makes the script look dicey. I mean, I would expect a script that completely crashed Poser after an update to be doing something really klugey, overly complicated, with a whole bunch of erroneous assumptions. I wouldn't expect the problem to be just using a common officially documented method.