Networked rendering

• Poser Ambassadors

My top request for the next Poser (Pro) is networked rendering. Pro can already distribute animation frames amongst remotes (aka render slaves), but currently Queue Manager can only distribute an entire frame to each remote. So, Queue helps greatly with animations or with a batch list of test renders, but Queue is of no help when rendering a big, high-quality, wallpaper of a complex scene.

Other render engines (Reality/Lux, Vue/HyperVue) can distribute buckets/tiles/samples among remotes and so greatly reduce the elapsed time of a big high quality render.
    This is what I'd like for Poser Pro; to have Queue Manager distribute samples (or tiles?) across a network for Superfly renders.
    It would also be nice to be able to distribute buckets across a network for Firefly renders.

Processor speeds have plateaued; increasing the number of cores applied seems to be the solution which is universal.

~ ~ ~

I do realize that ^GPU^ acceleration is available, but it has limitations.

Some render engines (Lux) want OpenCL, implying AMD/Radeon video cards. Octane and Superfly want nVidia graphic cards.

GPU acceleration does not handle branched path raytracing, so you have to use an inordinately high number of samples to clean up the render.

GPU acceleration is crippled by the limitation of onboard VRAM. Can't use it to help with those big complex scenes, which is exactly when I would want more rendering horsepower.

. . . .

In contrast, CPU rendering is universal; you can use Intel or AMD processors, or even a mix (master PC with AMD Ryzen, remote with Core i5, remote with dual Xeon processors).

Branched path allows you to efficiently put more samples only where needed.

You can apply all of your computer's RAM.

So, I see the elegant solution being Superfly tiles/samples distributed across a network.

• I would love this to be implemented.

When I first tried using the Queue Manager, I assumed it would do what you described. I appreciate that I can send a render elsewhere and continue working, but for large scale, complex renders it would be nice to have multiple computers chewing on a render.

• Poser Ambassadors

I'd like to have a list of remotes added to the Queue UI, so that I could add/remove remotes (by either name or LAN address) for a queued job, and monitor progress and watch for crashed remotes. 8-)

0_1501648165456_P11Pro Q UI beta concept.png

Terpsichore and Cortana show how remotes would appear when cooperating on a single Superfly render broken into 512 tiles.

Urania gives notice that her Queue needs updated to match the master's build number. With Urania selected, the update button in the title bar would launch Urania's DLM to update her Queue Manager.

Titania and Athena are doing a Firefly animation, with Titania on the final render pass of frame 0001, and Athena on the IDL pre-calc pass of frame 0002.

EnolaGay and TinkerBell announce their availability to be assigned to a job.

I didn't fill in the jobs or the Queue log, because those would remain much as they are now.

• @seachnasaigh said in Networked rendering:

Urania gives notice that her Queue needs updated to match the master's build number. With Urania selected, the update button in the title bar would launch Urania's DLM to update her Queue Manager.

Titania and Athena are doing a Firefly animation, with Titania on the final render pass of frame 0001, and Athena on the IDL pre-calc pass of frame 0002.

EnolaGay and TinkerBell announce their availability to be assigned to a job.

I didn't fill in the jobs or the Queue log, because those would remain much as they are now.

If I named the servers in a home-built render farm, I'd have to name them like this:

Titanic
    Lusitania
    Edmund Fitzgerald
    Bismark
    Hood
    Andrea Doria

There's a theme going on, there, I just know it. :)

• @morkonan add Costa Concordia to that list. LOL

• Poser Ambassadors

@morkonan You don't sound confident. giggle

• @morkonan Exxon Valdez

• @seachnasaigh said in Networked rendering:

@morkonan You don't sound confident. giggle

I am very confident... just not in a positive direction. :)

• Poser Ambassadors

With the Reality plug-in for Poser, you can port a Poser scene to the Lux render engine, which will network render a single picture.
    This was a 1920x1200 wallpaper with atmospheric effects...
    0_1522834319117_Lux render 4Mar2018.jpg
    1.33 million samples/second! 0_1522834653104_pbthumbsup.gif