Superfly Card Selector is still wrong.

• Re: Poser 11 SR7 is available
    The selector for render resources (video cards) is still wrong.
    0_1502426451067_WrongWrongWrongBadDog.jpg
    My choices are either one video card, or all of them. No one else does this. Everyone else uses radio buttons that let you select the mix of resources you want to give the renderer. As it stands, in order to not cripple my display when rendering in Superfly I have to keep an AMD video card in my system, and due to those [deleted] Etherium miners out there, AMD cards worth a bucket of spit are severely overpriced and I have to run a crap card for my 4K display.

I know I'm an outlier with a system only seachnasaigh would build, but it's really annoying.

• @rrward That is a very good suggestion.

In this thread Smith Micro have a link to a suggestion box thing for Poser.

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2086/submit-your-poser-suggestions-to-smith-micro?page=1

• Poser Ambassadors

@rrward said in Superfly Card Selector is still wrong.:

Everyone else uses radio buttons

I could not let this go as the possibility of being misunderstood by SM is painful to think about.

What we HAVE NOW are radio buttons, where each choice stands alone and automatically disables the other choices. Combinations only exist as pre-defined separately enumerated choices (that last, 3x one in your case) and you're stuck with that.

What you actually want are independent checkboxes (NOT radio buttons) which you can turn on or off and each causing no change in the state of the others. No pre-defined combinations are needed then, as the user can (and WILL!) make their own decision about using one, two, or all three, and if not all three, which one is unused.

• Poser Ambassadors

Note:

The number of possible unique combinations of X GPUs is 2 to the X power (if we include the null combo of don't use any of them, use my CPU)

2 cards = 4 combinations
    3 cards = 8 combinations
    4 cards = 16 combinations
    5 cards = 32 combinations

• Poser Team

The controls in question are apart of the Nvidia drivers.

Within the Nvidia control panel go to Manage 3D Settings on the left, and Cuda GPUs on the right.
    Click on "All" to the right of CUDA GPUs, and select the GPUs in the check boxes that you want to process CUDA.

You can do this either globally for all programs, or individually on the Program tab.

• Poser Ambassadors

OMG really? It's built into the CUDA layer? I don't have any of these goodies, and so when somebody asks for this feature (which I've seen numerous times) I took it on faith that they know what they're doing and there isn't a way to do this without help from Poser itself.

• Poser Ambassadors

@bagginsbill said in Superfly Card Selector is still wrong.:

OMG really? It's built into the CUDA layer? I don't have any of these goodies, and so when somebody asks for this feature (which I've seen numerous times) I took it on faith that they know what they're doing and there isn't a way to do this without help from Poser itself.

In Octane you can enable/disable each GPU individually
    So it must be possible

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm not doubting it's possible. I'm doubting the need for it in Poser if the drivers already do this, per application.

• Poser Ambassadors

Sometimes you want to optimize for speed (all possible GPU's on), sometimes for size (disable card(s) with low memory), sometimes you want to disable one to continue working with another app which uses the GPU (PS, Substance Painter, etc).

• Poser Ambassadors

Based on you continuing to explain why you want to turn cards on and off I'm responding again because you don't seem to be grasping my point.

According to shvrdavid there already IS a way to turn cards on and off, without any help from Smith Micro agreeing to change the Poser UI. This thread seems to be asking for a way to do this within the application, despite the apparent ability to already do exactly this without the application doing it.

• Poser Ambassadors

Yeah, yeah BB, but sooner or later AMD cards are gonna get their SuperFly pixels too.
    Then it would be nice to have such a "Card control" tool inside Poser.

• Poser Team

There are advantages and disadvantages to having it within the program itself. The card selection thing isnt technically wrong in Poser since the drivers handle this by default. (AMD has a similar setup as well for OpenCL computation with multiple cards, as well.)

If you have a specific workflow and multiple graphics cards, setting it in the drivers is the Nvidia way of doing it. Basically think of a production workstation that uses one card for Cuda display within a program that uses Cuda for something else at the same time. Hence needing multiple cards (or enterprise remotes) Either way, it will rarely get changed to another setup.

(You need enterprise level stuff to split cards into two sessions. GTX cards are stuck to one app per card.)

Both ways can be set in the associated drivers.

Thats great, but render engines add a twist to it, in the fact you change it a lot.

This would be an interesting addition to Poser, and it has been brought up and it is on the enhancement list.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.