The future of Poser is the Fitting Room

• @fbs7 That's how Poser's animation works anyway, mostly by interpolation. That's also why it takes so long, the computer is "filling in" The missing frames in an animation. The computer is "guessing" where the next movement will be in the next frame to make it end up in your final pose. It will usually take the most direct route to get there though, which is why you have to pose the model in certain frames to make the movement seem more natural. Or am I misunderstanding what you're talking about?

• @fbs7
    This dial does exactly what you are looking for:
    0_1503244133592_Knipsel.JPG
    The default is 2 steps per frame, so with 30 frames that is 2*30 = 60 steps.

You could also crank up the dial to 60 and have in frame 2 the same end result in as you had in frame 30. This would theoretically save some cpu capacity spent on 28 redraws but you would have no overview of the process. In any case the sim runs in one core only so there would be no gain in time.

Like @eclark1849 says, simulation steps can involve iterations, and that is why the progress may vary.

• @F_Verbaas

Hello Verbaas; thank you for the tip. I thought that steps per simulation didn't change the speed of the movement, but instead tried to find a solution to the cloth in 30 different steps.

Say I have a toon in z=0 in frame 1, and then in z=10 in frame 2; that will certainly make the cloth fly away, as the toon is moving with 10 units/frame, which is like super-speed.

Now instead put z=10 in frame 100; now the toon is moving at 0.10 units/frame, which is a much slower movement, and the cloth will behave much better.

I never really thought of having 100 simulation steps with z=10 in frame 2 (I played insted with that setting for simulations that failed, but they still failed, haha); you understand that the cloth will move nicely to frame=2, as if it was frame=100 instead?

• Just to be sure (I probably didn't explain myself properly)

With z=10 in frame=2 and 100 steps/simulation, I thought the cloth would still fly away as the toon is moving at super-speed of 10 units/frame, so even if the cloth might look better for more simulation steps, it would still be flying up and away.

• @fbs7
    Sorry forgot to mention that you should then retime the sim also. If you fist used 30 frames per second the retimed equivalent would be 1 frame per second.
    What matters is the time lapse per simulation step, which in either case is 1/60 second.
    Apologize again.

• @fverbaas No need for apologies, my friend. I do appreciate your input on this; and it's been many years since I last played with that Steps control, so it was a good opportunity to check that it behaves as before.

I with it would work as erogenesis indicated, because I use 1 fps to storyboard my animation and camera angles; then after that is done I retime all to 4 fps (to setup walking and hand movements), and then I retime to 12 fps, which is my final frame rate.

But at 1 fps and 4 fps the cloth simulator is horrible as the clothes just fly around; it's pretty useless that that. So I end up with dynamic cloth adjustments at my last pass at 12 fps, when what I really wanted was to do that at 4 fps, as there are way less keyframes to handle by then.

Once again I appreciate your input.