When Cycles Surface shaders applied - hard to see preview mesh

• The preview of any figure with Cycles Surface shaders applied becomes an untextured white opaque silhouette. It's hard to work in preview mode because of this.

Just saying.

• @ibr_remote, I don't think it has anything to do with cycles shaders, Ive experienced this intermittently with entire scenes in both pp10 and pp11. It seems to coincide with running both programs either at the same time or one after another. The only remedy I've found is a reboot, a couple of times I re-installed the latest service pack, not sure whether that helps tho.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ibr_remote
    Does your shader setup in the advanced material room have some dotted lines?
    Because the preview should be similar between FireFly and SuperFly (preview is a actually a separate render engine).
    If the preview render engine does not "understand" your shader, the preview can become white or black.
    Investigate, or show a screengrab of the shader for the obj that becomes white.

• @vilters Here's an example.
    Its definitely the Cycles shaders show up as white.
    0_1502645418604_example .jpg

• @vilters no, no dotted lines....

• @qazart Yup, and when the human figure itself has Cycles Surface shaders, oh my, all white.

• @qazart , yeah that's completely different than I've experienced. Whats happened to my scenes affects everything in the scene, including dynamic hair becoming un-draped hasn't happened since latest SP so maybe its just a fluke.

• Ok so trying Sreed a number of textures now show, but bizarrely, some items that have EXACTLY the same shaders do not.

• I think it may be an open Gl problem, if others are not getting this. haven't used the latest S7 yet.

• In my experience, with SF shaders

1. OpenGL preview with Hardware shading on does not work always.
    2. OpenGL preview without Hardware shading on works sometimes.
    3. SreeD preview works in most cases, but needs FireFly root with textures, and you will see Firefly root preview.

• I think some cycles shaders, poser preview just doesn't handle well. A work around is to add a Poser surface node and set it for firefly. Plug the image map into the diffuse. If there is no image map just change the color. It won't be an accurate preview but at least it's not all white.

• @ibr_remote said in When Cycles Surface shaders applied - hard to see preview mesh:

The preview of any figure with Cycles Surface shaders applied becomes an untextured white opaque silhouette. It's hard to work in preview mode because of this.

Just saying.

What video card chipset are you using? Nvidia, AMD, etc?

• I have had the same experience ever since I started using Cycles shaders, always had an Nvidia card.

The Sreed preview shows a texture if there is one linked to a seperate Poser surface diffuse (even if Cycles is selected as both the Firefly and Superfly root note - just for testing purposes, obviously). OpenGL previews are always all white when using a Cycles root node.

• In an official Poser webinar for the introduction of Poser 11 & SuperFly they mentioned that cycles materials will appear that way in the Poser preview... I'll try and track it down if I can.

• @morkonan nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 - uh, not sure if this ishat you're asking for.

• Noted - so need to add a Poser Surface with a notional setting to see figure better in preview mode.

Thanks .

• @ibr_remote said in When Cycles Surface shaders applied - hard to see preview mesh:

@morkonan nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 - uh, not sure if this ishat you're asking for.

Yeah, that's what I was asking for.

The preview render using OpenGL is card dependent and, for that matter, is whatever version of OpenGL they're using. It could be that some functions in the Cycles materials are either not yet compliant with the latest OpenGL calls (it doesn't understand them) or the user's card isn't fully compatible with the necessary OpenGL version. That's why Sreed works and OpenGL doesn't - Sreed is software-based rendering, OpenGl talks directly to your card's chipset (hardware based).

For instance, I don't have any issues, though I don't render in Cycles very often and may not have used the specific material functions that appear to be causing the issues. But, this box has an older card. Contrary to what some may say, not all bits of OpenGL are backwards compatible. Outmoded, infrequently used, instruction sets might get mashed into updates that aren't fully backwards compatible. (example - "Hexagon" and the frequent OpenGL rendering issues it has with newer systems/cards.)

PS- I'm using a GTX 560 Ti, currently using the 376.33 driver version.

• Yeah, I've tried going back through some webinars but no luck finding the specific one I mentioned. So don't quote me on this since it is based on memory. But I think I remember them saying that cycles materials will appear this way so you can tell it is a cycles material and not a native SuperFly material.

• I have noticed, on occasion, that the SF materials will show up in the preview and I think it's just a bug with the video card or something.