PoserPro 11 Transparencies

• @Miss-B can you post a screen shot of the material that has the transmap?

• @ghostship Did you just want to see the texture map? Or do you want to see one of the renders?

• @Miss-B i'm mostly interested in the mat room setup you can show the transmap in the mat room too.

• @ghostship Ahhh, OK. I'm running some renders of the textures in PP11 SF, but as soon as the current one is done, I'll do a screenshot of the setup, which is a very simple setup.

OK, I just checked, and I'm only 1/2 way through the SF render, so it's going to be a while, but as soon as it frees up, I'll run the screenshot for you.

• @ghostship OK, so here's a large screenshot. On the left is one of the dress textures on the figure, and on the right is the Material Room setup.

As you can see there's only 3 images, the Diffuse Map, the Bump Map, and the Transparency Map.

0_1503274130639_DynamicDressTextureSetup.jpg

I'm not sure if the forum will show it full size, so you may have to click on it to see the details of the nodes.

As an FYI, the transparency is either the whole sleeves, or around the bottom edge of the sleeves and, as you see here, a large portion of the bottom of the skirt, or just around the bottom edge of the skirt.

• @Miss-B Try plugging the transmap into the edge as well. I would also make ambient value 0.

• @ghostship Yes I was surprised when I saw she hadn't done that, as I usually see transmaps plugged into both those nodes. Sometimes I've even seen them plugged into Falloff as well.

I uploaded renders for her to see of how they look in PP11 with FireFly, so we shall see if there's anything else I need to check out. I even ran 3 of them through SF, and they didn't look all that bad. Something I've noticed about clothing textures in SF, if the setup is simple enough, and not a true "shader", then it usually renders pretty much as it does in FF. This isn't the first time I've rendered non-SF specific textures through SF and have them render nicely.

Meanwhile, I'll check out your 2 suggestions and see how they look.

• @Miss-B assuming I'm not mis-remembering one of @bagginsbill 's tutorials, transparency edge and falloff are a means to simulate refractive effects (greater thickness of material at edges) when one is not doing ray tracing. For an ordinary transmap, expecially one for lace, the lace threads are more or less fully opaque and the holes are fully transparent. Transparency edge and falloff have no place in a PBR environment, as you mention using SF. I would zero both transparency_edge and falloff and not bother plugging anything into them.

A lot of older materials had the Poser Root node defaulting the Transparency_Falloff to 0.6, which is just wrong for SF renders.

• @anomalaus Thanks for that tidbit. I'll pass it on to the vendor, though she didn't specifically make these textures for use in SF. I was just "playing" to see how they'd turn out. ~wink~

• @Miss-B said in PoserPro 11 Transparencies:

@anomalaus Thanks for that tidbit. I'll pass it on to the vendor, though she didn't specifically make these textures for use in SF. I was just "playing" to see how they'd turn out. ~wink~

The "quality" setting on Filter type shouldn't be used. It should be "none" for sharp transmaps. Make sure Gamma, on the image select drop-down, is set to 1.

• Poser Ambassadors

AFAIK turning off texture filtering = turning off antialiasing. Inherently less accurate results so while it may work under some conditions that won't always be the case - just something to be aware of IMO :)

• Thanks for the comments, and I'll make a note to try them out.