Newbie help

• Hello everyone^^ please help me! I'm trying to understand exactly what bruse and settings to use for the best lineart, and how to manage the layers. Also, please help me to understand how to color inside the lines without getting out.! I know it's a silly topic, but it'll really help me to get explanations from a real Person instead of trying to understand everything out of tutorials on the internet. Thank you!!!! :)

• The best brush and settings for line art is a little subjective. The G-Pen and the Mapping Pen are pretty common line art pens for comics based on crowquill nibs used by many comics artists. But you aren't limited to those pens - it's up to you and whatever style you're trying to achieve.

The easiest organizational method for layers (for me anyway) is to group your layers in Layer Folders based on stages. For example, create a Layer Folder for rough sketches, another Layer Folder for line art, another Layer Folder for color art, and another Layer Folder for lettering.

There are several methods for coloring in the lines without going over. One way is to create a color flats layer.

1. First, use the Paint Bucket Fill tool without any area scaling. Fill in all of your shapes on a Color Layer Below the Line Art and don't worry about accidentally clicking on the Black Line Art. If you have a lot of open Line Art, you'll need to create a Layer and draw in the shape edges. I call that layer Scratch in the example below. Be sure to fill the gutter space with White.

2. Once all of the color is filled, you need to delete any accidental fills you did under the Line Art. Make a selection of the Black Line Art Layer (Layer>Selection From Layer>Create Selection)

3. and go to your Flat Color Layer and Clear the selection.

4. Use the Line Width Correction Tool set to a Thicken Width with the slider cranked up and paint the entire color layer.
      alt text

1. The colors will thicken until they meet at the center.

2. If you're going to prepare your comic for print you need an underprinting below the Black Line art layer made up of 60% Cyan and 40% of both Magenta and Yellow. And it has to be choked a bit.

3. To do this, make another selection of the Black Line Art Layer and create a layer above your color file. Shrink the selection one pixel for every 100 pixels of resolution (if the resolution of your file is 350ppi, for example, you should shrink the selection by 3 pixels) and fill with the 60/40/40 gray (R 119 G 133 B 144).

alt text

If you're lettering, make a copy of your lettering layer and go to Balloon of the Sub Tool Detail Palette and click the Fill / No Line button. Rasterize this copied text layer and make the Layer Effect color White. This will remove the black line of the text balloons and leave just the fill behind which extends to the mid-point of the balloon line. Place this trapped Balloons Layer (called Fill in the example below) above the Final Colors Layer.

I've reduced the opacity of the Black Line Art Layer in the second picture to show the color underneath. And I removed the Black Line Art Layer in the third picture to show how the final Flats Color would look.

alt text

Now you can make selections from the flats layer and render your colors on a new layer above the flats layer. Simply click the Reference Icon while on the flats layer and use the Magic Wand with the Reference Layer selected as the layer to choose from. You can work on the rendering layer while using the magic wand and it will make selections from the flats layers. Create a shortcut to hide the marching ants of the selection so you don't have to see it while you work (View>Show Border).

Option two for coloring inside the lines is to use the Anti-Overflow option in the Sub Tool Detail Palette. When you turn that on and set your line art layer to Reference, you can color on a new color layer using the brush and it won't flow over the lines.