PP2014 - RENDERING Wireframe

• Hi folks,

I was wondering if there was a good way of actually RENDERING something (say, a figure) in wireframe, please? I'd prefer it to be only the front-facing surfaces to be visible, so something like a wireframe skin, but it must be the actual wireframe and not a map, as I don't want it pixelated in any way.

I know about using the preview, but that's not what I'm after here, I'm after actual render outputs in Firefly.

Cheers,

Glen.

• Poser Ambassadors

In P11, there is a cycles node just for wireframe, which would satisfy your condition of not using a map.

In P10/Pro2014 Firefly, I have done wireframes by applying a UV template as a transmap.

The condition of seeing only the facing side can be done by using refraction instead of transparency.

• Thanks. The problem with a map is that it will pixelate at some point. Is there no way of directly rendering the mesh?

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glen85 said in PP2014 - RENDERING Wireframe:

Is there no way of directly rendering the mesh?

In P11, yes.
    0_1503588496800_P11 Cycles wireframe node.png
    In earlier versions, I don't know of any alternative to using a template (preferably 4096x4096 pixels). Perhaps it could be done using some of the vertex/facet/normal reading nodes, but it would take some wizardry to work that out, if it is even possible.

And to satisfy the "forward surface only" condition, you'll need to use refraction, not transparency.

• Ok, thank you. I'll see what happens here. Perhaps I'll have to reinstall P11 and do it there (uninstalled it and went back to PP2014 because I couldn't get on with 11).

• Poser Ambassadors

Pro2014, Firefly:
    0_1503606830656_green wireframe Pro2014 FF.jpg
    0_1503606851820_green wireframe MAT - Pro2014 FF.PNG

You do have P11? Stand by for a Superfly version...

• Poser Ambassadors

P11Pro, Superfly:
    0_1503611677968_wireframe raster - Superfly 860x1200.jpg
    0_1503611710841_Superfly green wireframe material.PNG

You could simply plug the wireframe node into the root's surface socket, but that would show internal parts and backfacing polys. This shader satisfies your condition of showing only the outermost camera-facing surface, and it also has added nodework to make the wireframe cast light.

I'll be putting these shaders (plus Pauline FF refractive ghost, Pauline flame spirit, and Pauline as Cortana) into a zip package as time permits.

• @seachnasaigh That is a phenomenally good shader there Seach! Top stuff!

• Wow, that looks really good, thank you! So is there an easy way of creating templates like this from various models, or does it have to be something sourced from the vendor? I know some 3D software can create UVs but that's about the limit of my knowledge. I only have AC3D, that kind of does it but it's not 'flat'... it's almost like a projection wireframe rendering of the model. I faced this issue when trying to get UVs from my motorsport circuit to help with map creation.

• Poser Ambassadors

You can do your own templates. There are UV mapping programs, and most modeling programs also do UV mapping. What you need is the "export template" function.

I use UV Mapper Pro to export templates.

You may find templates have already been provided by some vendors - look in your runtime for a documentation folder, template folder, and within the ReadMe folder.

If the material zones are overlapped on a single template, then you'd want to export selective templates for each material zone.

Or, you could save yourself a lot of work by using P11 and the Superfly render engine; with Superfly, you don't need a template - the render engine's wireframe node reads the mesh directly. The mesh doesn't even need to be UV mapped at all!

• @seachnasaigh What are your Poser units? I use inches, don't know if it matters with this shader. I tried this in FF and it came out too yellow. I think 32.00000 ambience is pretty high. Oh and the Math: Invert edge blend node, is that just a math function node you renamed?
    Here's my result - rendered in PP2014, IDL, no GC, no lights against a backdrop prop.

0_1503726831527_wireframeshader1.jpg

Should I just lower the ambience until I get the desired colour? I can always duplicate it and make it invisible to camera so I can get it to emit lighting right?

• Would you folks like to be able to create UV templates directly from within Poser? Without resorting to external, possibly commercial applications?

I've just completed initial testing of a python script to translate UV mapped objects into planar meshes. Still need to provide a means to separate polygon groups into separate objects (probably by allowing the user to select from a menu of groups and/or materials).

Guess which figure this came from.

0_1503761623606_Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 1.24.36 am.png

I'm not aware of whether this has been done before (probably, given how straightforward it turned out to be).

I don't think I particularly want to bother with writing my own renderer to translate this to an actual image file. The simplest course I can think of is to use @bagginsbill 's texture baking technique ( square viewport, orthogonal camera with zero (infinite) focal length set to fill the viewport with the object, white background, UV object set to wireframe mode or one of the cool wireframe shaders detailed above).

Let me know if you think this could be useful (It will be to me, whether anyone else needs it).

• Poser Ambassadors

@kalypso Yes, you can either increase the saturation of the green, or reduce the ambient value. And yes, you can use an unseen IDL emitter for casting light.
    I'm using Poser native units.

This is the Superfly wireframe (still rendering); notice the flare of light at her feet onto the metal holo pedestal.
    0_1503767542644_Superfly wireframe in progress.jpg

This doesn't have the refractive see-through effect, but it is Firefly using an unseen emitter:
    0_1503767973176_SydneyG2 as Blaze - animated flame 800x500.jpg
    That's SydneyG2 as @rokket 's superheroine Blaze (in full flame mode); we hadn't gotten the refractive effect working yet when this render was done.

Pauline as Blaze, Superfly, with a second enveloping mesh used as an aura:
    0_1503768210049_Pauline Blaze G03 mat3 pw1200p.jpg

@anomalaus I'd think that a Poser Python script to produce templates would be quite handy indeed, particularly for those who don't model. Separation should be by material zone for most UV map template purposes, including this one.

You might want to consider cases where parts are in adjacent UV blocks, e.g., torso is in UV block 0-1, legs are in UV block 1-2, arms are in 2-3, head is in 3-4. Paul and Pauline are mapped this way.
    I haven't found a way to deal with this in UV Mapper Pro, in order to produce templates.

• @seachnasaigh great effects in those images!

Just playing with the initial V4 output and the grouping tool gave me some useful separations (Spawn Props), but looking at them, there are special cases where a body part has multiple groups (Thighs have facets in both the torso and limb templates). It will probably be useful to have a dialog with multi-selection enabled lists to allow combinations of both body-part group and material group. I'll work on this over the next day or so until I have something more user friendly to offer.

I've also got to feed it a bunch of different obj files to see how it copes. I know the G3F figure uses the integer portion of the U-coordinate to separate maps, so an option to move groups to separate UV "pages" may be useful.

Anyway, Time for ZZZZzzzzzz.....

Yes, very tired. I see that what I typed is exactly what you'd just said in different words. D'oh! X-/

• Poser Ambassadors

This was done in P9/Pro2012 Firefly; there is an enveloping mesh around Posette, with a long poseable streamer tail. This enveloping mesh/tail is what produces the pixie dust effect.
    0_1503770802965_Posette in flight.png

All of those lamps in the scene are IDL emitter mesh lights.
    0_1503770919890_L3 pose5 VRT-.jpg

• WOW! You lot!

I thought this thread would go quiet and not really result in much after I posted it, but there are several shades of awesome here! That plugin looks fantastic, it would serve me well for another project I'm working on with the CV-1 from Lwanmtr, which is a Ford Crown Victoria with various taxi and police add-ons, as I need to replicate the California Highway Patrol livery, but am struggling with the provided templates.

So much wow in one thread! Thank you, folks!

• Poser Ambassadors

@kalypso said in PP2014 - RENDERING Wireframe:

@seachnasaigh ...the Math: Invert edge blend node, is that just a math function node you renamed?

Yes. It's a math functions node, set to subtract. I often rename nodes to narrate what their purpose.

@Glen85 said in PP2014 - RENDERING Wireframe:

I only have AC3D, that kind of does it but it's not 'flat'... it's almost like a projection wireframe rendering of the model

Sounds like AC3D is making a planar projection; depending on the shape of the mesh, you may need spherical mapping, or cylindrical mapping, or box mapping, or "unwrap" more complex shapes. AC3D might have these options, but you'll have to see if you can find how to change the mapping method.
    Unwrapping usually requires marking "cuts" in the mesh to allow the mesh to unwrap.

• Poser Ambassadors

• Poser Ambassadors

Also posted in Renderosity freestuff: Ghost, wireframe, and Cortana MATs

• I've no idea what AC3D does, but that sounds confusing. Those materials look cool though, thank you! :)

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.