maintain text layers when exporting

• Can you export a n image with text layers in psd format and have all layers read in another program so text can be edited there? Or does exerting always flatten the image, np matter the format?
    using OS X sierra iMac 27 inch latest Clip Studio Paint EX

jmickey

• The text layer is only editable in CSP. If you export to PSD, any layer type (text and vector for example) that is not compatible with other programs will be rasterized.

• Thanks Garlam. I feared that was the case. I guess the only way for a customer to change the ph. number is to come back to me if i do the work in clip studio paint.

jmickey

• Here's something that may interest you:

Editable lettering

Something to think about anyway...

J

• Hmmm. jahnocli, I'll have to look into my version of comic life.
    Thanks

jmickey

• I'm not sure how lettering in Comic Life would address the issue. The export options appear to rasterize the text leaving it uneditable. How is that different?

• not really any dif when I think of it, Garlam. I'll just have to explain the complexities of text on images to the client. They will have to come back to me if they ever change phone numbers on the image. I could send them the image without ph numbers and they could use a graphics editor to change ph numbers.
    But on a completely different subject trying to solve this problem led me to find I could paste Chinese characters into the story editor and have a mix of Chinese and english that they wanted.
    And Clip studio makes much nicer outline lettering that gimp.

Thanks gralam

jmickey

• @garlam said in maintain text layers when exporting:

I'm not sure how lettering in Comic Life would address the issue. The export options appear to rasterize the text leaving it uneditable. How is that different?

It's not about the export options. It's about being able to return to the original artwork and edit it. Comic Life's handling of text is superior to Manga Studio/Clip Studio...but that's only my opinion, of course.

• @jmickey You could place any items that may require future editing on a separate layer before exporting to PSD. That way, the client using Photoshop could hide that rasterized text layer and insert their own information on a Photoshop text layer whenever needed. The bigger problem with providing editable text is with the fonts. If you used a commercial font, the client would need to have that font purchased as well - you can't redistribute a commercial font to the client (or even to your printer).

• This is why I used to export flat versions of my comics to Adobe Fireworks and add text, balloons, et cetera, in that. Really though, if you export flat versions of the artwork and retain a version of it in the original multilayered form, you don't necessarily need another graphics editor to add text to it. You could instead use a deskptop publishing program, like Scribus to position and format text instead. The two limiting factors in doing so would be whether or not you can add boxes and balloons in that program (if not, add them in CSP first but leave the text out), and how good ithe desktop publishing program is in exporting text + images.

An advantage of using this technique would be that you could simply save the text in CSP in the story editor to a text file, and copy that over later. And also, exporting the comic to a PDF file, or other eBook format, might be possible as well.

• Hey Hey嘎然了什麼 OOPs forgot to change my keyboard. Sorry. graham and Laura Ess thank you I'm saving both those answers.. and work with them tonight,
    (don't try to translate the Chinese characters they're gibberish.

jmickey