What a wonderful animation!

• Just found this; so beautifully done, I had to post it here:

That was done by Blizzard, and given that Blizzard is not an animation studio (but a game studio) I found it fascinating. Gotta love the animation of the girl, so graceful! What a wonderful beard in the big dwarf guy. And it has it all - some 25 unique characters, with pretty much all visible toons moving, multiple voice actors, singing, music, walking, dancing, plenty of expressions, jokes, fire and particle effects, variable lighting, snowstorm, hair, several dozen props, apparently made at 24 fps (I couldn't check) for 5 minutes (would be some 7,000 frames, wow).

And, gotta love that, apparently no motion capture! Motion capture gives a creepy feeling to the movie, which I pretty much dislike. Instead all movement seem to have been carefully crafted, and I watched it several times to take notice of the hand and feet positioning. This is classic American top-notch animation: fluid, expensive and fluid.

I think it's a masterpiece. I wonder if they subcontracted Pixar to do it.

• Compare that to this other animation, cell animation here, one that I have dearly love for many years:

This is also beautifully crafted, but like all Japanese anime it's very economical (even for such a highly successful and expensive series as Sword Art Online). It has a lot of animation pauses to fill in time, and it seems to me that most of the animation is done "on fours" for 6 fps rate -- except in the "sakuga" moments, like when Yuki is turning her head, when the animation creates those awe-inspiring moment of animating at 12 fps or 24 fps for a few seconds.

Plus, as it's usual in SAO and other Japanese series (like most movies from Hayo Miyazaki), there's a bittersweet theme to the animation, even as a 90 seconds intro, which I find extremely compelling -- no revealing it, please, there may be someone that didn't watch the series yet.

I say another wonderfully crafted work of art.

• By the way, please feel free to link other animation works that you love. They are always inspiration for similar works in Poser (at least for me).

• Poser Team

@fbs7 said in What a wonderful animation!:

That was done by Blizzard, and given that Blizzard is not an animation studio (but a game studio) I found it fascinating.

Activision actually has a few animation studios. One of them is Blizzard.

Skylander was one of the first productions they did.

There are more of them on Youtube from this series, and on Netflix of course.

There are others they are working on as well.

• Activision actually has a few animation studios. One of them is Blizzard.

Oh, I see Blizzard opened an animation studio in 2015! Oddly enough the WOW movie ws done by a separate studio; who gets that.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that!

• As far as animated game commercials go, this one is one of my favorites:

• @krios yeah I liked that enough to buy diablo iii. Now I'm even considering getting an Xbox just for this.

It was twenty years ago that I caught the TR bug and I think I still have it!

• @kalypso said in What a wonderful animation!:

@krios yeah I liked that enough to buy diablo iii. Now I'm even considering getting an Xbox just for this.

Now that's effective advertisement :]
    This is why Blizzard and every other game company doesn't hold
    back when it comes to these short animated commercials, making
    them look like high-end Pixar productions.

• @kalypso said in What a wonderful animation!:

@krios yeah I liked that enough to buy diablo iii. Now I'm even considering getting an Xbox just for this.

LEAH!!!!

I had forgotten all about Leah! I waited for years for Diablo 4 to follow her story (no spoilers, please, someone may not have gone through it), and now I'm too old to play it when it's released.

Darn Blizzard!

That's why Smith Micro needs to add metaballs in PP12, otherwise there will be a group of senile old men saying "Whaaat?? Got metaballs only Poser Super Pro 25! Now I'm too old to use them, darn SM!!!"

• Another one of Blizzard's latest cinematic:

• Poser Ambassadors

I had forgotten all about Leah! I waited for years for Diablo 4 to follow her story (no spoilers, please, someone may not have gone through it), and now I'm too old to play it when it's released.

One is never too old to play Diablo. ;)

• @Ghostman said in What a wonderful animation!:

One is never too old to play Diablo. ;)

Or Startcraft, haha

This thread made me nostalgic, so I reinstalled my old Star Craft/Brood Wars/Star Craft 2, and I'm playing it all once again (for like the 15th time, haha)

Now it's time to say "Oh No, Lieutenant Kerrigan!!!!"... I'm such a sucker for suffering heroines.. if on the other hand there's a suffering hero, I don't care at all, haha :D

• One of the funny ones:

• Hah! That's a nice one! I guess which software they used - I guess they used one of those high end ones

By the way, I've finished my 15th run of Starcraft series; getting some disk space to reinstall the Startcraft II trilogy

• This one is very impressive too:

It's as impressive as Steamboy. Both look very much like cell animation (and one wouldn't give a second thought for that), but the characters are fully 3D CGI. I wouldn't believe if I didn't see some shots for the production process.

What I love about that style is the economy of movement. Typically one can easily see when it's 3D animation, because of the frame rate and fluid movements; but it's very difficult to get fluid movements natural. So there are many CGI animes that I cannot watch because I just don't appreciate the excessive movements.

But this one is very excellently done for exactly the opposite.

• @fbs7
    That's impressive. It could have fooled me.
    RWBY tried this style, with mixed results.

• @krios This is my only real animation in Poser. I have done some before, but they were mostly just trying it out.

• @eclark1849
    Judging by the title, I was expecting her to hop into a bathtub ;]
    Was that walk designer?

• @fbs7 said in What a wonderful animation!:

Hah! That's a nice one! I guess which software they used - I guess they used one of those high end ones

Not to spark up the old Pro vs. toys conversation, but even tho this was probably made with Maya, aka. the tool God uses, it don't mean nothin'.

Compare Archer to Princess Frog for a second. They are both 2D animations, one very beautifully executed (Disney, of course) and the other very crude (Adam Reed)... and they don't even make any excuses for their limited animation.

Archer is in it's 9th season, going strong... Frog Princess on the other hand, all but forgotten.

Poser is like a sleeping dragon, waiting to be awakened... just you wait, and you'll see!

• @krios yep. Parented a camera to Dawn and just let her go. Only real problem was when she turns that corner.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.