What a wonderful animation!

• The CG looks nice but the writing is crap and the dialog is one cliche after another. Had to stop watching half way through.

• @ghostship
    It seems to be a very nice add for the game, and is more for the FF fans then a stand alone flick... but still you'd think they would make an effort with the story/dialogue.

• Poser Ambassadors

This is a great animation with lots of different effects.

• @vilters said in What a wonderful animation!:

This is a great animation with lots of different effects.

Whaaaaat!!! That guy is being very mean to Lunafreya! He must be a super-villain of some kind. I already don't like him. Yo villain dude, keep your hands off Lunafreya!!

(by the way, the clothes flow beautifully there)

• Actually, to reinforce my point about CGI pageantry, I'm already a fan of Lunafreya (and didn't watch any movies yet with the toon, haha). So there's a toon can be reused, just like Mickey Mouse, I don't think I'll grow tired. I'm ready to watch her movies!!

That evil dude guy, on the other hand.... someone send him on an expedition to Pluto or something. Shoo-shoo!

• @fbs7

... I'm ready to watch her movies!!

In that case, enjoy the latest Kingsglaive and if you haven't seen it also check out Final Fantasy Advent Children

• @krios said in What a wonderful animation!:

@fbs7

... I'm ready to watch her movies!!

In that case, enjoy the latest Kingsglaive and if you haven't seen it also check out Final Fantasy Advent Children

Yeah, who cares about Monet and Renoir? Gimme Lunafreya!!

That was a superb example on how to demolish an argument. Well done, my friend, I stand in awe. Next time I have a discussion with anyone else, I'll just pop a movie with Lunafreya - zip, argument won!

@moogaloonie
    At least it's all one medium and it doesn't try to look like another one.

I suppose that's why I have a love-hate attitude toward cel shading and trying to recreate the "stylistic artifacts" of hand rendered imagery in CG.
    If a work is largely hand-drawn, but you need a dolly/tracking shot, it would be easier to do that in 3D than by hand. And it would make sense to try match the look of the rest of the work.
    I also understand why you might want a simpler render style to speed production. I like the look of European graphic novels, and sometimes use filters to simulate that. A nice painterly filter can hide a lot of the artifacts of CG, whether they are caused by low poly geometry or not cranking the render settings through the roof...
    But my attempts at making CG look hand drawn have been mostly aimed at hiding the shortcomings of the 3D images, replacing the "artifacts" of one medium with those associated with another. That, to me, is a very different thing from trying to copy the stylistic traits (born of necessity) of one medium in another medium that doesn't naturally produce/include them.
    Going back to the anime-esque figures, though... I'm surprised that no one has brought up the idea of mesh swapping... Like the way genitals can be turned on/off. If people really want the exaggerated mouth that takes up the entire face, wouldn't it make more sense to have a unique head sculpt (with its own morphs) for those moments?

• @fbs7
    Sure we care about Monet & Rembrant... or the other dude, but on this forum we might be more concerned with FireFlys and polygons ;]
    But in an effort to rebuild what might have gotten demolished, let's start a new thread about the finer points of Renaissance paintings, and or whatever time period Monet was in. Maybe those of us too far down the 3D rabbit hole could learn to appreciate the works of the old masters.

@moogaloonie
    Would be nice to see some of your work.

• @krios I originally bought Poser simply to add people to images for scale. I was into sci-fi and always liked seeing people standing by ships and other vehicles. I never really accumulated the body of work I had hoped to create. I spent a lot of time learning prop creation, and then messed around with environments and IDL. I did use Poser for some contract work a few years ago and spent a lot of my off time learning Wardrobe Wizard and the fitting room. Then I lost a lot of that work to a HD crash (I thought I'd been backing everything up, but had mistaken a volume for being on a different physical drive. I'd had to move a lot of things around while doing my contract work and got confused about which volumes were on which drives.).
    Anyway, I've got lots of stuff in various stages of completion, just not much that is Poser related.
    Here's an oldie though... Might have been done in P4 or P5. Definitely looks like an old P4 render:
    0_1519766700090_IMG_1347.png

• @moogaloonie
    Ohhh... nothing worse then loosing a bunch of hard work. Been there, done that.
    At least hard drives are dirt cheap to have several as back up. Time for a backup...

In the meantime though, here's a short 2D flick focusing on character animation:

• Haha, quite entertaining and expressive animation. Looks European, I reckon? Very nice indeed!

I counter with Ryu Kato; this music clip was all animated in watercolors, from what he says. Gotta love the ballet sequence! It seems animated in as little as 4 fps, but yet it does convey a sense of lightness and speed - I wish I could do that at 4 fps!

ps: funny enough, I remember enough my Katakana to be able to read the title "DA-n-SU, DA-n-SU, DA-n-SU"... I'm pretty sure there's some native word in Japanese for to dance, yet the guy took the English word and transliterated it to Japanese for a Japanese music band; I'll never understand that...

• @fbs7
    Very impressive, and artistic. If you like this kind of artistic animation, be sure to check out the Prophet next time you are in the mood.
    As for the -su and -so Japanese extensions for English words, it's relatively common for them. And don't forget, overall they speak more English then we speak Japanese ;]

@fbs7
    Very impressive, and artistic. If you like this kind of artistic animation, be sure to check out the Prophet next time you are in the mood.
    As for the -su and -so Japanese extensions for English words, it's relatively common for them. And don't forget, overall they speak more English then we speak Japanese ;]

Right, I mean, in native Japanese one of the options is this: 踊る 踊る 踊る (odoru odoru odoru) for dance dance dance. Yet it could also be 舞踏会 舞踏会 舞踏会 or 舞踊 舞踊 舞踊 or 踊り 踊り 踊り, depending on some criteria (to which I'm completely oblivious) of which one of the many words for the same action (sometimes spoken exactly the same way) is applicable to write it. So with 4 different ways of writing dance-dance-dance in native Japanese, they opted instead to take the english word and transliterate, creating now a 5th way of writing the same thing...

Not to say the 4 different ways of asking for something, or 16 ways of greeting someone. It's really a fascinating and complicated culture.

Even without English as my native language I found English very easy to learn. For example you just greet as "Duuuude!" and everybody understands you.

• @fbs7
    Or in English you can address people as dogs: HEY! and surprisingly they will respond without getting offended.
    But this dull social habit probably originates from the old English expression: Oi! ...which coincidentally the Japanese seem to use as well.

And this HEY thing might not be limited only to English: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hey (but it still sounds like how one would address a dog)

• Another interesting example from Blizzard; this is a cinematic sequence for World of Warcraft:

It so happens that World of Warcraft is fully 3D, and many cinematics are animated 3D, but selected ones are paintings like that (which, btw, very much seem like 2D painting to me, not real acrylic painting).

So I wonder what makes them choose one or the other. I assume this may be due to conversational nature of this one... I'd suspect that one may find it more reliable to form expressions with hand painting than in 3D morphs... but that's just assumption.

• @fbs7 said

So I wonder what makes them choose one or the other. I assume this may be due to conversational nature of this one... I'd suspect that one may find it more reliable to form expressions with hand painting than in 3D morphs... but that's just assumption.

Why play an ace when a six will do? This is simply a very fancy animatic, budget wise it's probably 1/10th of what this would have cost to animate in 3D or even 2D. If it works for its intended purpose (advertising), then why not. At least the sound design is top notch.

Here's a student animatic to compare to the fancy Blizzard one:

• For your enjoyment, a short animation by Disney legend, Glen Keane

• Thank you!

This one left me flabbergasted. This is the future of CGI!!!!