Create UV Templates directly from Poser

• Hi folks,

I wonder if I may be so bold as to ask this. The main reason I am so excited about this, at the moment, is because I have had a project on hiatus for a few months now. For those in the know, Annie did a pinup as a sassy nurse a while back. Well, I wanted to create a set of emergency service-related pinups. I've got a test firefighter one rendering right now (been two days so far... involves atmospherics, so yeah) and I have a police one waiting to be completed, which sees Annie taking on the role of a California Highway Patrol officer, complete with sassy uniform (which I've put the correct patches etc on) and CHP Crown Vic patrol car, for which I'm using the product I've linked to.

The problem is this: The CV-1 comes with UV templates, but I can't get them to work for me. I need to create a perfect CHP livery for the car, but I can't get the template lined up, so it's all going down the pan!

Could someone help me with this, please? I desperately want to finish this set soon... maybe I'll have a go at doing a coastguard one, eh? Not Baywatch, Pamela Anderson's got nothing on our Annie, lol!

I'll see if I can find the nurse pinup to post an example of. I thought I published it to my DA page, but it seems I didn't, oddly.

Here's the product I'm using for the police one, it's a brilliant product with loads of options, I love it! My only issue is with the templates.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/cv-1-for-poser-and-daz/66928

Cheers,

Glen.

• This is the nurse one. I need to work on some of the geometry issues with the dress and her leg etc, but this is pretty much it.

Back on topic now, apologies for digressing a bit. 0_1507931269917_Nurse 001.png

• @Glen85 I don't have this product, so I can't just create UV templates for it to check. Can you post a low resolution screen capture demonstrating the kind of problem you're having? Is it misalignment of seams or overlapping UV templates? How do the police livery textures compare to the UV templates? Can you overlay them in an image editor with partially transparent layers?

• It just seems odd because there are overlapping areas and other areas which are cut off short. I've tried to work with one of the original maps which came with it, as it's reasonably close to the CHP livery, being black and white, but quickly ran into problems.

0_1507986939562_picture052.jpg 0_1507986960021_picture050.jpg 0_1507986971223_picture046.jpg

There are lots of examples of the livery here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=california+highway+patrol+crown+victoria&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizj6immfDWAhWCAxoKHSLPAgUQsAQIJQ&biw=1536&bih=735#imgrc=_

• Having said all of this, I've never made anything with a template before, so maybe it's just me not understanding how to do it.

• This better illustrates one of the problem areas. The black parts are actually clear of all the doors, but the template puts these areas partially over the doors.
    0_1507987209742_picture046.jpg

• @Glen85 OK. Assuming the templates are correct, the livery textures must have exactly the same aspect ratio as the template, which looks square. Poser will take your texture map, which looks taller than it is wide (from the second image) and scale it (increase its width) until it fills the UV map space, which is square, in this case.

Your textures must include pixels (even if they are transparent) for the whole UV template. Even though things line up when you overlay them, because the texture map is narrower than the template, Poser will stretch everything, assuming that it has to cover the whole UV space.

There are ways to get around this, by setting scales other than 1 in the ImageMap node in Poser, and using U and V offsets to line things up, but the simplest way is just to make sure that textures have the same proportions as the templates.

• But that texture fits the car perfectly, it's the original one. The template seems to be wrong, that's the problem, and there are no guides on the original textures to help with creation of new ones. That's why I'm struggling, because it seems like the textures and templates don't match up.

• @Glen85

If you go to http://uvmapper.com/downloads.html, you can get UV Mapper Classic for either Windows or Mac. This is the FREE version. This program will allow you to create your own templates.

1. Choose FIle > Load Model, and select your OBJ file.
    2. After the file loads, choose File > Save Texture Map.
    3. In the BMP Export Options, enter the size of the template you want to create. These are usually square, and rule of thumb is to make them 1024x1024, 2048x2048, or 4096x4096.
    4. Choose OK.

The template can only be saved in BMP format, but you can easily convert to any other format with Photoshop.

After you create the template, it would be interesting to see if it is any different than the one you show above.

• Errmmm... >.>

Methinks it went wrong.

0_1508002532655_cv1b.png

• @Glen85
    Nope nothing wrong. What that tells me is that the car you are trying to texture does not have the same UV map as your template above, and also that it uses more than one texture, which is why they are overlapping. Where did you get the car?

Wait a sec ... create a copy of the original template. Then use photoshop to resize the template copy to the same size as your texture map that works. What result do you get when you layer them in photoshop? Do they match up?

• I'm not sure what you're asking me... screenies from Photoshop are above, but scaling it to match the original maps is a problem because the maps are really basic, just big blocks of colour, so I've no idea where the edges are meant to be. The link to the car is in one of the above posts. Here: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/cv-1-for-poser-and-daz/66928

I just want to make a new map for it, one which is realistic. It really shouldn't be this hard, I don't understand most of this. With everything else I've ever made new maps for, I've just used old maps as templates and that has worked perfectly fine, but this is just a complete mess!

• This is the result of applying the template directly to the body of the car it is supposedly for... totally wrong!

0_1508009322471_Untitled.png

• This guy has done the livery I want for it, but it's not available anymore and it looks like he's closed his store. Ugh, rotten luck! https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/ragtopjohnnys-cops-/101009

• @Glen85
    OK based on the screen shots you are showing I can't figure out what is going on with the mismatch between the textures and the template. I tried to rescale them in a couple of different ways to see if I could get them to match up, but no luck.

I would contact the vendor, or perhaps someone at the Renderosity store, to ask if someone can generate some new templates that match up with the car. I would offer to do them but 30 dollars is more than I want to spend for something that I probably wouldn't use after that. 8-)

But yes, if applying the template directly to the car produces those results, something is off.

• It's odd because people have given it high ratings for ease of texturing... I don't get it! It would be good if I could delete parts of the template from that app you sent me, but I can't seem to do it. I think I'll contact the vendor about it. Thanks for your help.

• @Deecey this is just wrong information for anyone running macOS releases after 10.6 Lion on Intel CPUs. UV Mapper Classic is a Motorola PowerPC application. Apple deprecated and then rendered obsolete Rosetta, which was required to run PowerPC applications on Intel hardware from that time (2006) on. These apps cannot be run on the latest macOS at all. No way, No how.

• @Glen85 I've PM'd you a non-GUI version of the script with debugging to list the groups and materials to work out the best solution for separating the overlapping UV templates. Can you post the output here, please?

• @Glen85
    Not being a regular Mac user, there was no way for me to know that the information was "wrong." Thanks for the correction.

• @Deecey not your fault. The vendor has abandoned the macOS version of the software and left links to the zombie corpses littering the web page. About as useful as apps for an abacus. X-/