Only Interested in Making a Face

• I'm trying to create faces from images of a number of Black and White individuals. All images have neutral faces. I need to eventually end up with 4 faces per person: 1 happy, 1 angry, 1 sad, 1 neutral. I do not need a body, and the head doesn't even need to be 3D. I am having a hell of a time finding a tutorial that directly addresses what I'm trying to do.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Or offer some guidance as to how I can get started doing this?

Thanks for any help!

-Overwhelmed grad student

• Do you have a copy of Poser? You could easily make a unlimited number of unique faces using the Poser face room. There are sliders to change the ethnicity of the face... more African/Caucasian/Asian, etc. You can also create a simple skin texture in the face room. For the expressions you may need to purchase morphs for the figure you are using. Some figures have the morphs built in and some need to be added (injected) after you load the figure. The figures that come with Poser have the expressions built in. In my example screenshot I used the Ryan figure because he comes with matching skin tones for the neck. After you have made a face for your figure you would select the head, expand the FaceExpressions and use the dials to change the expressions. This whole process only takes a couple of minutes to do once you become acquainted with the software. The only thing that would be left to do is set the size of image you want and render it. The documentation that comes with Poser is quite good but it is in PDF format, so in able to read and search it for keywords you would need a PDF viewer.0_1504457385359_FaceRoom.jpg
    0_1504457406135_PoseTab.jpg

• @ribroast Thanks for that guidance. I do have a copy of Poser 11 that I've been trying to learn to use. I've got a feel for the layouts, but am still figuring out best practices here. It seems like you have to start with a base face and base head shape, is that correct? Ideally I'd use one head shape, but a blank face that I overlay my face textures over. Is this possible? At that point, to ensure I'm making the same changes to each face in terms of manipulating the emotion, I want to ensure I'm changing each faces features the same amount. It'd be nice to build a template and then just apply that to all the faces, if that's possible. I'd also be fine using a built in expression as long as I can overlay my texture first.

Though at this point i'm having trouble loading the figures into Poser. It seems like I have to load the figure, then move to the face room, is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

-David

• @davidsmarch said in Only Interested in Making a Face:

Though at this point i'm having trouble loading the figures into Poser. It seems like I have to load the figure, then move to the face room, is this correct?

That is correct. However, the Face Room only works with the native figures included in Poser. It won't work with third-party figure faces. (If you find you're getting a warning message when you select the figure and enter the Face Room.)

Also - Poser's "Morph Tool" is fairly easy to use, once you learn the basics. (Read the manual entries for it.) It's also very powerful, considering this isn't strictly a "3D Sculpting" application. You can do quite a bit of tweaking with that tool and even sculpt some nice details and make refinements to the final morph. It also works with Poser's native subdivision. So, if you find the head mesh you're trying to get to resemble someone is not "dense" enough to allow for certain features, you can subdivide it and use the morph tool to help create those features with a denser mesh.

I have no idea at all if the Face Room will accept/recognize base figures at a higher subdivision level. It might, but I don't know if it "knows" they represent a denser mesh version.

• @morkonan OK, one thing at a time. "I want to ensure I'm changing each faces features the same amount. It'd be nice to build a template and then just apply that to all the faces, if that's possible" Answer: Yes, you can save those settings into the library in the "Pose" section. The big question here is it seems that you must use the images that you already have. Not that its imposable, but in order to do it that way you would need to map them onto the model. There is a way to use your own images right in the face room, upper right corner. You need a front view and a side view for that. If you just need faces with different expressions, it would be easy to do using the figures in Poser with their textures. Mapping your images onto a Poser figure is considered advanced, you would need to paint them onto a flattened version of the model called a UV map. Look at the stretched out face in the bottom of the face room, you would need to make your image look like that and then apply it in the material room. It takes a lot of experience to do a good job of it. If using the textures that are pre-made in Poser is acceptable, do this:

1. Load a figure from the library with the skin tone you want.
    2. Switch to the face camera and center the face in the viewport.
    3. If want to change the appearance, use the dials that are there in the figures head or use the faceroom.
    4. Dial in your expressions.
    5. From the menu -> Render set the size of image you want and set the quality. You can use a pre-set in the render settings.
    6. Render the image, and then save it.
      I would hide the Poser ground and save your image as a PNG file, that way you will have transparency around your face. For what you are doing I would use the Firefly render engine. You could also load a image onto the Poser background to render in front of that. I am just saying the very basics here, you can do this stuff a million different ways and get very creative with it.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.