Eros & Psyche: The movie

• 0_1504385329587_PD.jpg

This thread is dedicated to sharing with you the production of the story of Eros & Psyche, and to seek out collaborations with modelers, cinematographers, voice over actors, and just about any other roles under the sun that this production will be able to afford and require to shine almost as bright as Aphrodite's glory... because nothing shines brighter then the glory of the goddess of love... (hubris and all) ;]

This animation will be part of a web series re-telling the legends of Greek mythology, at least until the episodes can be strung together into a proper movie. Also, this production will be "limited animation" kind of like Archer, in that there will be no extravagant 200+ character Broadway musicals, so good cinematography and dialogue will be our focus.

Any help with this project will be rewarded with your name in the credits (if you so chose).
    Thank you in advance for keeping an eye on this thread.

Social media presence: Facebook | deviantART | tumblr | Patreon

Cheers,
    Krios

• To get this party started, here's the rough animatic for the first 4 minutes of this 15 min. episode.

All the temporary clothing will be replaced by dynamic outfits, so we could use some help in the digital wardrobe department.

Also, the opening scene, where Psyche is about to jump off a cliff (although that might not be very clear now), could use some "atmospherics" ... dust, rain, some kind of particles to make it look more real, because right now it looks a bit "empty".

Any and all comments/suggestions/critiques are welcome.

• As I was doing more research I ran across an interesting find at Renderosity concerning dynamic clothing for Poser. Renderosity has about 400 dynamic outfits, by various vendors of course, that you can thumb through.

• @eclark1849 said in Eros & Psyche: The movie:

As I was doing more research I ran across an interesting find at Renderosity concerning dynamic clothing for Poser. Renderosity has about 400 dynamic outfits, by various vendors of course, that you can thumb through.

That is true Clark, but when you narrow that down to authentic Greek outfits, there are about 10 or so.
    Sshodan's Dark Court Robes looked promising and impressive, but sadly not very practical for animation, unless there is a way to reduce the poly count. For a promo image it is very impressive, but it takes my box more then a minute per frame to sim those complex outfits. 24 hours for 1 minute of animation.

0_1504471418815_compa.jpg

The custom modeled two piece outfit on the other hand is only 45K polys, and sims @ 3 sec/frame. It might not be as cool as Sshodan's robes, but it makes a huge difference when there are more than one character in the scene. Also, the dynamic cloth often determines what a character can and can not do, which requires many test sims to figure out.

Here's the progress so far.

0_1504471907185_liteTop.jpg

We need a few variations of this style and some help with texture mapping, because right now, my texturing skill extends only to coloring polygons :]

The clothing is modeled in Maya, with great care taken to make sure it is optimized for animation.

0_1504472249144_Top-prog.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Liking this so far.

As for dynamic clothing, you could try converting the conforming clothing you're using to dynamics. You'd need to remove the grouping and then reweld the groups before doing the sims but it's quicker than having to remodel the clothes entirely.

There's also the poly count reduction tools you could try, if you have game dev or P11 Pro. Not sure how badly it would affect the quality of the dynamics tho since I haven't tried it, just an idea.

• @AmbientShade

Slight wardrobe malfunction...

0_1504716565841_weitress.jpg

You have a good point about adapting regular outfits for dynamics... and an even better one for welding seams.
    Good thing the apron stayed in place, right? ;]

• @krios What was your collision set up on that?

• @eclark1849 said in Eros & Psyche: The movie:

@krios What was your collision set up on that?

Just a simple collide against character at .25 offset and hand, feet and head excluded.
    The only thing changed on the cloth was the weight and dynamic friction to make sure the skirt falls down.
    The cloth figure was exported as an OBJ and then re-imported to make the whole thing sim at once.

• @krios Ah, okay, so you wanted the skirt to fall down. Did you set the collision with the apron?

• @krios There's also this program to use conforming clothing and hair in dynamic simulations.
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vwd-cloth-and-hair/114645/
    There's a demo you can try out
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/vwdclothandhair-demo-v1-1-502-3552/77049

• @eclark1849
    Technically, this was just a test per AmbientShade's suggestion.
    The idea is to "stitch" all the different parts of the outfit so that it can be converted to a dynamic cloth without it falling apart.

@kalypso
    Thank you for the tip Kalypso! Definitely an interesting program to look into.

• The two older and somewhat envious sisters:

Story so far:
    Psyche was so beautiful that all the men and women in the land came to admire her while ignoring her two older sisters.
    This did not sit very well with the envious sisters, who plotted against Psyche to undermine her popularity.

• The fame of her beauty was so great that strangers from neighboring countries came in crowds to enjoy the sight, and looked on her with amazement, paying her that homage which is due only to Aphrodite herself. In fact Aphrodite found her altars deserted, while men turned their devotion to this young virgin. As she passed along, the people sang her praises, and strewed her way with chaplets and flowers. (source: Thomas Bulfinch)

• Here's the sequence for Aphrodite. Needless to say, she is not too happy about her "followers" bailing on her.
    This was the hardest one to set up so far because of her expressive way of talking. The body language and facial expressions are not all there, but hopefully the animatic works well so far cinematically.

What you guys think of Aphrodite's voice?

• The first & second production stages of this episode, the animatic is now done.
    The third stage is breakdown or inbetweens, also known as linear animation.

Here's the opening scene as "linear" blocking or more technically, at 6 FPS:

The blue dress might be too revealing and the red one too prudish...

• Some more blocking action for your viewing pleasure:

Up next: rough animation...

• That's awesome! What an ambitious project! I drink to its success!

• @fbs7
    Thank you my friend... and I raise a toast to your health!

• Straight from the director's desk:

Those of you with directorial inclinations are invited to sit in the director's chair to see if you agree with this scene's direction so far.

Do you like the timing? Are the lines not too corny? This scene has been chopped up so much, that the lines now sound temporary at best.

Before a new retake is ordered, we'd love to hear from you because this scene is the most important one in the entire flick--the god of love, Eros, falls in love with Psyche, a mortal girl.

• 0_1514694043034_HNY-R.jpg

Happy & Prosperous New Year!
    May Eros within you raise your soul to the heights of Mt. Olympus, the adobe of the gods.