Silo 2.5 on sale for cheap!

• Poser Ambassadors

I model at Poser scale in Silo; you can set Silo's camera's hither clip (near clipping plane ratio) lower, and shorten the normals (normals length).
    Open the display settings (Ctrl+Alt+D) to adjust those.
    0_1505176664955_Silo display settings - Ctrl+Alt+D.PNG

If I'm also making a Vue version, I scale the model up 2.5 times Poser size.

• Poser Ambassadors

I've been using silo 2.5 for a lot of my poly modeling lately. Currently building a replica of my house.

Somehow tho, all my objects have managed to get combined into one object and I can't figure out how to ungroup them. Any clue how to do that?

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade if it occurred within your current session, a string of undos (Ctrl+Z) ~might~ get it.

Otherwise, the only resort I can think of is to start selecting a few polys of a given object, then expand the selection (shift++) to all connected polys , then break (Ctrl+B) to make that a separate object.

If you have material zones already assigned, you might also go into polygon mode, select a material, then use select by, followed by break.

• Poser Ambassadors

@seachnasaigh Thanks. I figured out the break command and that seemed to do the trick. But now I gotta group various things, like the porch railing and deck.

Is there any kind of measuring system? Need to space the deck boards more accurately than just eyeballing it.

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade Well, you can open the numerical editor (editors/options : numerical editor, or Ctrl+Alt+N) window - I always have it opened while working in Silo. Near the bottom of the numerical editor are readouts for distance and angle. It is context sensitive, so you can see distance between two points, or the angle between two edges, etc.

But if you have in mind aligning board objects one by one, I'll mention an alternative method.

Start with a polygon in the shape of the deck surface. I used a simple rectangle (but it could be some other shape). Apply some material to it (not "default").
    Select the opposing edges on the shortest axis.
    0_1505214077588_deck stg 1.png

I set the cut number to 74, so as to make 75 boards. Execute cut (X).
    0_1505214159416_deck stg 2.png

Notice that the newly cut edges are selected. Bevel (B), and drag the tiny control ball to adjust the width of the gap between boards. Enter/Return when satisfied.
    0_1505214359821_deck stg 3.png
    I'm considering the default grey strips to be the gaps, but if making a semicircular deck, then I would consider the bevel-produced default grey strips to be the boards, so as to have a constant width of board.

Select the default grey material, switch to polygon mode, and select by the default material.
    Click in a blank area of the viewport (so that Silo is looking at the viewport, not the material editor window), and delete the grey strips. This leaves me with only the "wood" strips representing the upper surface of the deck boards.
    0_1505214816498_deck stg 4.png

Switch to object mode, select the deck object, and shell (K), adjusting the tiny drag ball downward to determine the height of the boards. When satisfied, enter/return.
    0_1505214985394_deck stg 5.png
    Because I dragged downward, the normals will be reversed.
    Verify this by selecting the deck object, then display / object display mode / show normals.
    0_1505215255985_deck stg 6.png
    If they are indeed reversed, then with the deck object selected,
    use modify / reverse normals.
    0_1505215450362_deck stg 7.png

With the deck object selected, I'd now apply the "wood" material to the entire object.
    You can either do a simple box UV map, or unwrap if you don't mind defining all of the edge seams.

Semicircular deck: Select the circumferential edges, and cut by 5.
    0_1505216478200_deck stg 8.png
    I would select the first and last radial edges and extrude them a bit to allow for beveling.
    With the radial edges selected -except for the newly-extruded two edges at the ends- bevel. Apply the wood material to the new polys formed by the bevel, the ones which are constant width.
    0_1505216519284_deck stg 9.png
    Select the other polys and delete them.
    Select the deck object and shell.
    0_1505216583627_deck stg 95.png
    Check normals and reverse as needed.

• Poser Ambassadors

@seachnasaigh Awesome, thanks. I'll experiment with those steps and see how it turns out. Need to count how many boards I need. Trying to figure out a system to build the house to its actual scale. I measured the hallway and tried translating that to silo but it doesn't look right. Still learning this program, tho I've had it collecting dust on my pc for a couple years. Got it for $20 during one of the mac heist sales but it kept crashing so I quit using it for a while. I think it was due to my old graphics card tho. Tried it again when I heard about 2.5 and now it's becoming my favorite modeler - when zbrush doesn't cut it that is. Still not satisfied with zbrush's poly modeling tools.

• @AmbientShade I also picked up Silo 2 during that Mac Heist deal, though I only got the Serial Number from them. I went to Nevercenter and downloaded the latest version for Windows. In fact, the Serial Number worked fine on the slightly older version I had installed for a 30-day trial. I never had a problem with it, so if you downloaded the Mac version from Mac Heist, that may have been the problem.

I downloaded 2.5, but I haven't installed it yet, though it will probably be soon.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Miss-B I don't remember which location I downloaded the installer from to be honest. But it was an exe file and I don't think it would have installed at all if it was the mac version. The serial did work for me to upgrade to 2.5 and it just updated the installation that I had already.

I'm pretty certain my crashing issues were graphics card related, as at the time I couldn't render anything in DS without it crashing. Once I got a new card (currently gtx 970) I was able to render in DS again and Silo seems to be mostly stable. It did crash on me last night once but that was probably due to me pressing too many buttons trying to figure out the grouping issue I was having.

• @AmbientShade Ahhh, OK. I only mentioned where you downloaded it from, as I didn't know what your computer's OS is, and yes Mac doesn't know from EXE files.

Good to hear Silo is behaving with the new graphics card.

• Poser Ambassadors

For the wider forum audience's benefit, a Silo license can be installed on three machines, any combination of Win/Mac, so one may want to download both Win and Mac installers if you have a mix of OSes. ;-)

• Thanks for all the tips and info on Silo, all! Since I'm new to Silo, anything is appreciated. :) (Great tip on the clipping pane settings, though I still import 500x as a habit. :) )

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.