Materials in Poser

• Hey guys, I need a definition of the word "materials" as it relates to it's use in Poser. In other words, how would you explain to someone who has never used or even seen Poser before just what materials are?

• @eclark1849

It would depend on what you're trying to explain but at its basics -

You are applying or painting on a layer of decoration similar to wrapping a present or painting your nails.

For clothing - Materials would be fabrics
    For objects - Materials would be wood, metal, stone
    For People you could also explain a material as a fabric

• @adi Would you say this is accurate then? I got this from Wikipedia.
    In Computer graphics, Materials are an enhancement of texture mapping (and a pre-requisite for advanced shading effects) that allows for objects in 3D modelling packages and video games to simulate different types of materials in real life.

• Poser Ambassadors

No that's wrong.

Many materials do not involve texture mapping at all.

Many materials do not make any attempt to be realistic. A whole class of them are called NPR (non-photo real) and are very commonly used in comics, video games, and other art forms. I myself made materials for Poser (i.e. shaders) that imitated the painting style of Alberto Vargas.

• In the Poser sense I would define a material is that part of the information that determines how the surface is rendered that is not driven by surface geometry or light conditions.

• Poser Ambassadors

A material is a description or characterization of how a substance behaves with respect to interaction with light. One can describe a material independently of any rendering engine.

A shader is a specific implementation of a material for a given rendering architecture.

Note other simulation aspects that materials do not deal with: A CG material doesn't describe how a substance sounds when you hit or rub it. (E.g rubber vs metal) A CG material doesn't describe how a substance reacts to compression or tearing. A CG material doesn't describe how a substance interacts with heat (e.g. again rubber vs metal)

• @bagginsbill Let me put it another way, then. If you were talking to a noob, and you sent him to Renderosity , telling him to buy some materials to help you render an object or figure, What would you tell him to bring back?

• Poser Ambassadors

Everything the eye sees is a "material".

In 3D?
    => That can be a texture (diffuse, bump, normal, displacement and so on.
    => But it can also be procedural.

The obj can be UV-Unwrapped or not. It does not have to be.

=> All that you hang on an object to make it visible ( = react to light) can be called a material or a material collection.

Dull varnish is a material.
    Glossy varnish is also a material.
    Paint is a material.
    => But "raw" unpainted objects also have their natural material.

In brief : Material is what you see.

The render engine???? You ask???
    The render engine is nothing more then a mixer that mixes what you feed it, and then drops the pixels to screen.

• Poser Ambassadors

Without light, you have a nothing. A Black whole.

Add light and materials and you see what is around you (on in your 3D scene).

As I have written before : "Objects", in real life or in 3D, are just the "coathangers" where the materials "hang" on..

Example : a wooden box in real life.

=> In 3D you can model that wooden box as a mesh, and then "materialise" it into a wooden box, a plastic box, an iron box, a stone box, a concrete box, a glass box. => You name it, it can be done.

=> You don't change the box, it is still the same mesh.
    All you did was hang a different material collection on it.

• @eclark1849

I'm not sure a noob will understand that materials have anything to do with computer texture mapping and I'm sure they will run screaming if you try to explain that without light nothing exists.

Perhaps give them $10 and ask them to buy a tin of paint or a piece of fabric.

Now relate that to Poser.

Sending a noob to Renderosity for Materials - oh dear, they don't call them materials and often list them as MAT or just Character, which they also use for full body morphs :(

You would tell them to look for:

Figure Materials - search for Characters > 3D Figure Assets • Characters

Clothing Materials - are classed as addons > 3D Figure Assets • AddOns • Clothing

• Poser Ambassadors

I would say the following (to a beginner):
    A material defines the properties of a surface such as color, reflections, roughness, and other behaviour. It tells Poser what the surface is (mirror, cloth, stone or something else).

• Poser Ambassadors

@wimvdb said in Materials in Poser:

I would say the following (to a beginner):
    A material defines the properties of a surface such as color, reflections, roughness, and other behaviour. It tells Poser what the surface is (mirror, cloth, stone or something else).

And now you completely ignore that the material also defines the volumetric interactions, not just the surface.

That is why i did NOT use the word surface and why I oppose its use when describing a material.

The complete interaction with light (on the surface, beneath or subsurface, and through the surface) are all the domain of the material. Interaction with light includes any form of bending, bouncing, filtering for color, amplifying, or even generating (emitting) light.

As for what to tell a noob to buy at Rendo - I have no idea what rendo calls them because I don't buy shaders or textures. But you'd want shaders and textures.

• Poser Ambassadors

BB? Now you are a bit to hard for Wim.

If someone asks what a material is? You can also be sure they have no clue about :

• Intercontinental Brown Lightyears => IBL
    • Neither have they ever heard about Interlacing Directory Lauches => IDL

And "GC" stands for Global Control, right?

Ja-ja, => a material is how an object reacts to light. => What and how we see it. (or render it)

Probably the single most difficult thing in the world :
    To lower oneself to the level of the person asking the question.
    Not everybody is a walking Wikipedia or needs a 100% mathematical correct answer. LOL.

• @bagginsbill Thanks for your help guys, Especially you, Adi and BB. I think I know how to create that category now.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.