Marvelous Designer 7 CBT results.

• Just to show you all a small project; a corset for Poser 10 Roxie, to try out the flattening function, the topstitches and the zippers.
    This is the result of an odd hour of experimenting, starting wit nothing but nude Roxie. Not bad if I may say.

The glitch around the zipper at the waist is my bad. I specified round corners on a continuous seam. This should of course be used only at free corners. Next time better.
    Till so far everything is OK. The topstitches export well to Poser but they make the file pretty bulky. The corset geometry stands a staggering 42 Mb.!!
    This is a conforming item (raw from Fitting Room), so the stitches (little pieces of geometry actually) stay nicely in place. Not sure how they will hold as soft decorations in dynamic clothing.
    Too bad the zipper does not work in Poser. In MD you can just open and close it in simulation.

0_1505593906653_RoxieMD7Corset.jpg
    0_1505594501725_RoxieMD7Corset-2.jpg

• The 'flattening' function in MD7 is that it also works with object avatars (of course) and that the lines on the avatar move with the shape if you morph the avatar.
    This permits to make the same garment easily for a range of figures provided you have a body shape representing the garments of those avatars. The panels you draw therefore can be cut for a series of figures.
    0_1505674307808_Knipsel.JPG

I loaded the geometry for Roxie used in the prefitter, drew on some lines, and lifted a panel.
    Then I loaded the Bella geometry as a morph for the avatar, and getting the same panel sized for her was a one-click operation.

• @F_Verbaas said in Marvelous Designer 7 CBT results.:

Till so far everything is OK. The topstitches export well to Poser but they make the file pretty bulky. The corset geometry stands a staggering 42 Mb.!!

You should probably only use displacement/bump maps for those. I understand the desire to have actual stitches, but they're probably too dense when generated. You could, if you're willing, produce some that are much less dense and lighter-weight, but they'd likely add unnecessary weight that most will never even use.

IF it was for a specific, close-up, render, then the weight could be justified. But, for a general-purpose object, it can't be.

Too bad the zipper does not work in Poser. In MD you can just open and close it in simulation.

There are two ways to do that. Either you run the simulation in MD in stages and then export those as morphs, provided it doesn't bork up the vertices between different runs, or you can attempt to use alternate geometry in Poser, which basically just loads up another mesh when the alternate-geometry morph is called. BUT, you won't ever get a smooth ziper animation in Poser without an unnecessary amount of really backbreaking work for every frame. It's not built to do that.

• @morkonan
    You are right two times. I am not sure why they uniquely went this way. They also have a system with normal maps.
    The good thing is you can scale the stitches up to the size of laces.

• @F_Verbaas said in Marvelous Designer 7 CBT results.:

@morkonan
    You are right two times. I am not sure why they uniquely went this way. They also have a system with normal maps.
    The good thing is you can scale the stitches up to the size of laces.

I imagine they went this way because the product was initially designed to accurately reproduce fabric patterns and clothing in order for them to be critically previewed by fashion industry professionals, without actually having to create the physical clothing. (Something previously only done with artists and mockup boards.) There are other programs that do this, more or less, but they haven't purposefully made themselves open to hobbyist and mainstream 3D workflows.

(It's possible I'm getting the development history behind this product and a similar one confused, but the premise is still valid, even if the specifics are not. :) )

• @morkonan
    The background of MD is indeed the fashion industry. There of course large files can be a botttleneck also.

I have raised the request to have an option to choose to export stitches either as geometry or as normal map.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.