Poser 7 to Poser 11

• I'm jumping from Poser 7 to 11, it's going to be a bumpy ride! I've been a little inactive. I think I'm going to have a lot to learn. I actually purchased v8 but never used it.

• I made roughly the same jump as you, and survived to tell the tale (I had Poser 9 but hardly ever used it). ;) I think you'll find Poser 11 easy enough. The fact that you've not been active recently may even be an advantage when it comes to getting to grips with the user interface.

I'd recommend you stick with Firefly to begin with, and maybe start by experimenting on an old saved scene. If nothing else this will reassure you that you've linked your old P7 runtimes correctly. Superfly is best left as a separate learning exercise, although that's just my opinion; it will depend on how you learn best.

• Luckily the interface hasn't changed too much but so much to reacquaint myself with. Also, I'm glad I still have most of my library and downloads saved but some discs were not readable. I'll never get back any PoserPros, Poserworld, or Props Club stuff back. I was really surprised to see Daz bought RDNA. I don't know how I can get any lost content back from them. I will learn like I have before, through reading forums like this. Besides the original ones like this one, Daz and Renderosity, are there any new sites I should be visiting for learning, or shopping, or freebies?

I've re-linked an old library but when I try and use anything from it, it still keeps asking where everything is. Same with old scenes I've made, but that one I get.

• @shadow_fyre said in Poser 7 to Poser 11:

I don't know how I can get any lost content back from [RDNA].

The majority of RDNA vendors moved to DAZ, and you should find their products in your DAZ downloads. Vendors who went their own way will have to be tracked down individually, unfortunately. I have a memory that someone made a list, I'll try to remember where that was.

Besides the original ones like this one, Daz and Renderosity, are there any new sites I should be visiting for learning, or shopping, or freebies?

Hivewire is worth including on your daily round of forum visits.

Of course the finest place to go freebie hunting is my links page. :D

I've re-linked an old library but when I try and use anything from it, it still keeps asking where everything is. Same with old scenes I've made, but that one I get.

If you're on Windows, it's best to move libraries out of Program Files which is where earlier Poser versions put them. Windows UAC will mess up any attempts to write to them there.

• Thanks for your help and info. I do remember your name from years ago!

• @shadow_fyre You can always just rejoin Poserworld membership and redownload your stuff from them.

• @eclark1849 Thank you, nice to know they are still around.

• @eclark1849 said in Poser 7 to Poser 11:

@shadow_fyre You can always just rejoin Poserworld membership and redownload your stuff from them.

Poserworld moved from an 'all you can eat' subscription to selling individual models, and they pruned their catalogue drastically at that time. They also stopped selling their content DVDs, I believe.

You can re-download items that you've bought individually, but the old stuff is gone, to the best of my knowledge.

• @englishbob One can always ask. I always keep a back up of what I make. One would hope Steve and Allen do the same.