By the way, what's the point of Andy 2?

• People complain about spending resources in features in the application that they feel that nobody uses (or only a few people use).

So, what's the point of Andy? It's a well-designed figure, of course, and bends nicely... but I could never use it for anything. It's a half-skeleton, half-robot kind of thing, and because it's skeletal I can't clothe it. As it's a skeleton it's kinda creepy, and is definitely not anime-style, so I can't use as a cute kind of thingie.

It has no conforming clothes, and no textures (that I know of); as it's made of very thin parts, it's not a good target for sofy body simulation, and it has no facial expressions or phonemes, so I can't even use the head alone and hide the rest of the body.

Now, the one thing that I found it works is Walk Designer. But if I have no use for the character (for being creepy, not cute, unclothable, unhairable, without expressions, untalkable) then I can't use a walking character either.

So anyone sees any use for Andy at all? I can't even understand why it is the default figure, given I can't use most of the features in the appl with it.

• @fbs7 said in By the way, what's the point of Andy 2?:

So anyone sees any use for Andy at all? I can't even understand why it is the default figure, given I can't use most of the features in the appl with it.

It prevents Poser from opening with a blank stage.

"There's something there! Ah, there's a figure. It can move, wow! It's in "3D!" It looks sort of cool, neat!"

The value of first impressions can't be understated. It also serves as a neutral figure, sort of like a "helpful robot" that new users can experiment and play with even before they begin navigating their content directories. It's also an immediately recognizable "mascot" in terms of branding and market recognition or can easily serve that purpose. It quickly becomes "familiar" to the user, being bound up in the default scene, which they won't change on purpose for quite awhile. It is easily usable in tutorials and experimentation, requiring nothing more than what it has loaded with. And, it's not a bad figure at all.

In short - It most certainly has very practical uses.

• Poser Ambassadors

@fbs7 Poser began with just the wooden mannequin, with the intent of aiding visualization of highlights and shadow for traditional 2D artists (drawing and painting).

Andy2 continues that function of a minimalist mannequin, but adds poseable fingers which the earlier Andy lacked.

If you are using motion capture, I highly recommend using Andy2 as the preview doll precisely because he is so simple and thus light on system resources.

• So you guys like Andy, uh?

He's one of those toons I could never get used to. I find him creepy. Same thing with Jessi; I always thought that Jessi was angry with me for some reason... brrrr....

• @fbs7 I don't. In fact, the first thing I do with each new version is to delete him, and save my own preferred Startup Scene.

• I do like Miss B does:

First thing that has to go is Andy, and I never ever use him again after that.

• I agree that he might be useful as a reference figure.
    • I do NOT agree with that he would "make new users want to play with him".
      Uhh?!
      Who wants to play with a sort of cyborg skeleton?

Do you know why most people come to Poser? Certainly NOT to play with a freak figure :D

Now draw your own conclusions.

Karina

• I use Andy all the time for testing materials. He has 1 zone that has many different shapes to it. He's like the monkey in Blender.

• @ghostship I got rid of him right away as well.

• Poser Ambassadors

Poser began life as a tool to help traditional artists - a reference figure that could be posed as needed.

The Andy mannequin (or manikin) comes from the classic artists book:

Andrew Loomis - Figure Drawing For All It's Worth

0_1505961719270_b1b51573-3739-4d5f-bf6c-4a0c0425c188-image.png

0_1505961791212_f76150c0-0c8e-4e6b-a2ad-0a514d2079e1-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

The Andrew (Andy!) Loomis Manikin is still in use as an approach to drawing a figure. Have a look at this video tutorial:

• @bagginsbill said in By the way, what's the point of Andy 2?:

Poser began life as a tool to help traditional artists - a reference figure that could be posed as needed.

The Andy mannequin (or manikin) comes from the classic artists book:

Andrew Loomis - Figure Drawing For All It's Worth

Ohhhhh... that's why it's called Andy!

And I thought I wouldn't be surprised anymore with Poser! I had a book from Andrew Loomis, but it was about drawing heads, not the whole body.

And that's why it's so skeletal!! Now I get it!

I guess an artist that's used to that kind of mannequin will identify it more readily. I learned to draw almost 40 years ago, and back then I used the old-style wooden mannequin (like the one in Poser 4). I still have one in m my old boxes, I think.

Actually the reason I got Poser 4 long, long time ago was to actually help drawing odd poses. I always had a terrible problem with drawing from high angles. But once I saw Posette (the Poser 4 girl), I was struck, and done I was with mannequin. From that point on I posed human figures, nevermore a mannequin.

Now I get it. But then again, Andy still have the problems I listed before; for example, you can't clothe him...

• By the way, I withdraw my original question.

I didn't get the previous points, but now that I see Andy linked to this method I see the point of having him, which is to provide support for this artistic drawing method.

From that point of view it makes perfect sense.

• @fbs7 Several versions of Andy, and his sister/girlfriend Andrea, are easily accessible from the Character > Additional Figures > Mannequins Library. I just don't see why Andy needs to be in the default Startup Scene.

Then again, I also don't like the Material Room's Preview Head. I followed some instructions Joe/Netherworks had on the old RDNA forum on how to change it to a simple sphere, which I think shows off the materials and shaders much better.

• MissB, do you happen to remember those instructions. I thought I had them copied down, but they seem to have followed RDNA into oblivion.

• @redphantom These are the instructions I have but it came with an obj file that I hesitate, or would be incorrect, to upload here. I don't know if you can use just any sphere in this process and I don't remember who the original uploader is:

Poser Modification - Material Room Sphere Freebie
    When you are in Superfly mode in the Material Room, you might notice that the Preview material turns into a head in the advanced materials. I wanted the option to view the preview as a primitive rather than a head, so I have a modification for you.

The attached zip file contains a modified head that is actually a sphere and will preview as such in the advanced materials tab. This is a do-it-yourself mod, just follow the instructions below. Use at your own risk, though nothing has exploded here

• Download the attached MATHead.zip.
    • Go to where you default Poser content is installed and open this folder: D:\CONTENT_LOCATION\Runtime\Geometries\MatRoomPreview
    • In that folder, rename Head.obz to Head.obzbak (or similar). This is highly recommended if you want to change your mind and revert back or an update changes things.
    • Extract Head.obj from the zip into that folder.

It is a good idea to have Poser closed when you do this.

Once you restart Poser, you should have a primitive sphere in place of the head.

• @dcrosby Thanks for posting this, as I didn't have the instructions written down. I did, however, find the download, and it was one of Joe/Netherworks goodies I downloaded from RDNA. It is an OBJ file, so I'm not sure it would work with just any sphere primitive either.

• @Miss-B glad that was helpful. Maybe Joe might wander by and post the obj again at some point.

• I would assume you can use any sphere .obj included with the poser primitives and make a copy, put it in the folder mentioned above and just rename it to Head since that is what Poser will be looking for.
    I could be wrong, though. :)

• @kalypso My only concern with that would be, is it a Hi-Res Head.obj or not?

• @Miss-B said in By the way, what's the point of Andy 2?:

@dcrosby Thanks for posting this, as I didn't have the instructions written down. I did, however, find the download, and it was one of Joe/Netherworks goodies I downloaded from RDNA. It is an OBJ file, so I'm not sure it would work with just any sphere primitive either.

By the way, what I do to change a head for something else is to just position the prop in the position I want in the body, then Figure / Replace Body Part With Prop. Easy peasy.