HELP! PP11 is crashing when I attempt to open a saved scene!

• I have saved several scenes, all are fairly simple: a single figure, two or three dynamic cloth sims, ezdome and a single light as the sun. When I attempt to load one of these scenes, Poser Pro 11 crashes on me. It is happening with each and every scene I attempt to open. What is going on? How do I fix it, or at least report it?

• Make sure you that you have downloaded and installed everything required for Poser. The Cloth Room is a separate install. So, in your SM Download manager, make sure you've downloaded and installed everything. Let it check, and then download and install the patches/updates.

I'm not sure, but it may be necessary to redownload everything/reinstall after the latest update. My cloth room seems to have stopped working as well. /ponder (I haven't gotten around to verifying this, yet.)

Before loading the saved scene, try the Cloth Room and see if you can run a sim. If so, then it's working and if you can't then load those scenes without a crash, it's a different issue.

Make sure you have your runtimes referenced so that if those scenes require anything outside of the default runtime, they can find it. If possible, put them in the root of the remote runtime they might have assets associated with, if you're using an older remote runtime.

Lastly, make sure Poser has the appropriate permissions. Either right-click on the executable, go to compatibility, then check "Always run as administrator" and run it. If those saved scenes use any custom scripts, make sure those custom scripts are also located in your default, native, runtime directory.

• @morkonan I am able to do cloth sims. Remember I stated that the scenes in question contain 3 or 4 cloth sims each. I am testing costumes I am making so I am keeping them simple.

One thing I didn't think of is that I moved the folder containing the HDR files for the ezdome. Perhaps that is causing the issue. I will delete the ezdome files and redo them to point at the new folder and perhaps that will solve it.

Poser is installed completely. I always install the whole package. I can't do another install right now because I am at sea and don't have internet access with my laptop. I am on the ship's computer system and it's a government system I can't connect to.

• If you have another drive, even a thumb drive, try changing to that, in case it's a hard drive issue. When my hard drive went bad, I was getting a lot of corrupted scenes despite everything else working fine.

Narrow it down. Can you reproduce the scene in part and load it? Start with a scene with the dome and sun. Then add the person. Then add one clothing piece. Then set up the simulation. See where it fails. It's possible something you're loading is corrupt. Do old files that used to work still load?

• @rokketman said in HELP! PP11 is crashing when I attempt to open a saved scene!:

@morkonan I am able to do cloth sims. Remember I stated that the scenes in question contain 3 or 4 cloth sims each. I am testing costumes I am making so I am keeping them simple.

Are the scenes multiple frames? Sounds weird, I know, but way back in some iteration of Poser, I had an issue in which a scene I was using as a test bed for a cloth sim was saved and, when I tried to reload it, I couldn't reload it until I increased the default frame limit for the default scene that was currently loaded. I don't know how to do that in P11 as I don't normally do that.

Not on my Poser puter right now, but if it's still relatively the same, whenever a Cloth Room sim is run, a separate animation/sim file is generated and stored in the same directory as the scene file. These need, I think, to be in the same directory as the scene file for it to load and then read from them. So, look for those other files associated with the items that were simmed in your saved scene file. If/when I can, I'll see if I can look up or remember their unique extension. But, they should be readily identifiable if you look in the directory where the scene was when you first ran those simulations.

One thing I didn't think of is that I moved the folder containing the HDR files for the ezdome. Perhaps that is causing the issue. I will delete the ezdome files and redo them to point at the new folder and perhaps that will solve it.

I don't know if that matters or not unless there's some sort of active script saved when you save a scene containing SG's ezdome. AFAIK, everything there is run-once and forget script button, so there shouldn't be any difference between losing that image ref for that hdri and dealing with a regular missing texture.

I am on the ship's computer system and it's a government system I can't connect to.

Yay for Operational Security! :) Stay safe! Make sure to check for those sim files in the same directory as you first saved those scenes. That's probably what its looking for, but I can't experiment atm.

• PS - They are .pmd files you're looking for that will have the same name as the scene pz3 file. Make sure they share the same directory.

• @morkonan There were pmd files in the folder with the saved scenes. I have been running a render for the last couple of days (I know!) so I can't do any experimenting until maybe later today. I'll post the results.

• Poser Ambassadors

I've never seen this sort of crash, so I don't have an immediate solution. I've had Poser begin to open a scene, then stop to ask me to locate ~~~.abc or ~~~.pmd, if I had copied a scene to another location but forgot to also copy all of the support files. But no crash.

The dynamic cloth simulation files will have an .abc extension (short for Alembic).

Next time you have a crash, look in
    C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\CrashDumps for any .dmp files and if their timestamps are recent, then copy those to a folder where you want crash reports.

Also look in
    C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp for any recent WER files. Those are Windows Error Report files. Copy those to your crash report folder.

• Well, I now know it only happens with scenes with cloth sims in them. I created two new scenes, one with conformers and one with dynamics. The one with the cloth sims crashed when I attempted to open it. The other one opened.

Neither scene had the ezdome in them...

I am going to create one more scene with different dynamic items and a different figure and see what happens with that scene when I attempt to open it. Maybe it is an issue with my model.

• I ran a test. I started with a new scene. I loaded Alyson 2 and posed her. I saved the scene. It opened again with no problems. I then added the ezdome and saved the scene. Again, no problems loading. I added the costume and ran a cloth sim. It wouldn't load. I am going to try again with a different clothing prop and see if maybe there are issues with the costume I made.

• Poser Ambassadors

@rokketman It seems then that EZDome is irrelevant, then?
    If you try alternate clothing and those don't crash, then you might send me the PZ3 without the dynamic sim having been run. That is, with Alyson2, zeroed in frame one and posed in frame 30, and with your costume parented to her, but without running the dynamic simulation.

I will make a copy of the PZ3, and run the dyn sim from one copy, and save the simmed scene, then try to re-open.
    If it crashes, my machines are set to produce and save a crash dump if Poser crashes. I would include that crash dump in a report to SM.

• I can't do that right now, cousin. We are out to sea. I am fairly convinced now that my model was the problem. I ran another test sim and didn't have any problems opening it. There is something a bit off with my costume, so I have to figure out what that is and fix it.

Thanks for the help and the offer. More to follow after I run a couple more sims to make sure it's the prop and not the program.

ezdome was not the factor.

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm at a loss as to what to even suggest; I've never encountered this problem.

Maybe check to see if the normals are consistent? Look for n-gons? Duplicate polygons (two polys sharing the same space, same vertices)?
    Duplicate vertices?

• @seachnasaigh Yeah, I will check all of that. I've had cloth sims fail before, but usually get a message when you attempt that it failed at frame (#). I suspect it's the suit because other cloth sims are not giving me this issue. And the suit was the only cloth sim in the scene.

I still wonder why the cloth sim didn't fail, but Poser crashes when I try to load that scene. I am going to remodel the suit and see if it happens again.

• I started a remodel. there are some creases I put in the suit that I believe might be causing the issue. So the remodel will leave those out and I'll add them with displacement later.

• @rokketman said in HELP! PP11 is crashing when I attempt to open a saved scene!:

I started a remodel. there are some creases I put in the suit that I believe might be causing the issue. So the remodel will leave those out and I'll add them with displacement later.

Since you mention "creases", are these really dense meshes or subdivided, with morphs added? Perhaps formerly multi-grouped/conforming items with originally dense meshes or that look like they were originally converted from a non-quad geometry?

The reason I ask is that I've noticed an issue with certain type of meshes, very dense, likely converted, and morphs made with the morph brush. The morph will appear fine, at first. But, if the object is then saved, either in a cr2 or with the scene, and then loaded in another session, some verts that are part of the morph, will appear as if they've lost their relative center information and will be wildly displaced. I'm not sure if this is a "skinning" issue that would be corrected if the appropriate skin-type was used, without leaving it up to Poser to guess, or if these dense polys, perhaps on the boundary of a group, are part of the duplicate-poly issue and they can get wonkified in certain situations by the Morph Tool. They're fine, while the original information is stored in memory, but their relative object-center references get lost when the file is saved and Poser is closed. (Supposedly, releasing the cached info.)

IOW - You might be getting some form of this that's causing crashes on your computer. Just for giggles, and this probably won't have any effect, but I'm not sure what the error is - Load Poser and change your display settings in Preview to Sreed before loading one of these files.

Lastly - Check your Crash Reports in Windows to see if you can find any clues.

• @morkonan firstly, the creases are modeled in Wings 3D, and is one of it's operations. It's sort of an edge extrusion. I didn't add them with the morph brush.

Second, there is nothing listed at all in my crash reports concerning Poser. I am assuming it's not a true crash, only Poser refusing to open, if that makes sense.

Like I stated above, I am only assuming the costume is the problem, because everything else in the scene loads fine after it's saved. It only happened after the suit was added and the cloth sim ran.

• I'll try to upload an image of the suit so you can see what I am referring to with the creases.

• 0_1506598410196_SuperGirl.jpg

This is the suit in question. Ignore that horrid belt. But you can see the creases that I modeled into the suit. I believe they are why I am having the issue. I am working on a remodel, and at the same time I am creating the Black Widow costume for V4...

This is the suit in question. Ignore that horrid belt. But you can see the creases that I modeled into the suit. I believe they are why I am having the issue. I am working on a remodel, and at the same time I am creating the Black Widow costume for V4...

Nice render! Can you do a wireframe (preview quality is fine, but do whatever you wish) of it so I can really see "it." :)