Tron suit glow effect for digitalpanther

• Poser Ambassadors

Someone already mentioned using the Cycles emission node into the CyclesSurface root to get a glow effect.
    This is another method, using the PoserSurface root, which I often use because it allows me to use all of the sockets in the PoserSurface root. :-D

The mask is the image_map node in the upper right; I also used a math node below it to get the inverse of the mask.

The nodes in the pink box provide the glow.
    The two nodes vertically stacked labeled "hyperwhite_amplifier" and "1invis_2vis_tex" are color_math nodes.
    The simple_color node (labeled "633 = 1/4*") is used to adjust the amount of lightcasting boost; darker shades boost more.
    The clouds node isn't necessary; I just wanted some variation in glow color.
    The leftmost color_math multiplies the boosted red by the B&W mask, controlling what areas glow.
    0_1506004928267_Tron suit 01 nodes.jpg

Rendered in Superfly:
    0_1506004994940_Tron suit 01.png

You'll want to use 15 or so mesh light samples when rendering.

P.S. Thanks for the expressions of concern. Dad's cataract surgery went fine; he looks like a pirate now, rockin' a temporary eye patch. :-P

• Poser Ambassadors

Why use that ( @bagginsbill -designed!) cluster of nodes for the glow effect, rather than simply cranking up the ambient value?

Because the render engine's lightcasting response will be far too weak for the apparent brightness of the object.

That cluster of nodes essentially tells Superfly to show a modest ambient for the object itself, but when calculating indirect lighting effects, I want Superfly to see the luminous parts as if they were powerfully ambient.

The result is that the luminous parts cast light in proper proportion to how bright they appear to be.

If you neglect this, your render will show what appears to be a searing white 100W light bulb, but it's only casting light onto its surroundings as if it were a 7W night-light.

• @seachnasaigh said in Tron suit glow effect for digitalpanther:

P.S. Thanks for the expressions of concern. Dad's cataract surgery went fine; he looks like a pirate now, rockin' a temporary eye patch. :-P

Glad to hear it went well.

• @seachnasaigh Thanks for the assist. I can't wait to try it out! Nodes are still a little intimidating but I am getting there. :) I presume I can alter the glow color with the color chips on the clouds node?

I am glad to hear the surgery went well. Your dad just narrowly missed Talk Like A Pirate Day...but the eye patch gives him extended Pirate Talk rights. Just remember that "Arrrr" be pirate for "F*cken A!"

-DP

• Poser Ambassadors

@digitalpanther Yes, you can easily change the color blocks to change the glow color.
    It might be easier for you to get started if I make an MT5 material file which you could apply, then make adjustments to as needed.

What doll base(s) did you intend to use? Or are you going to use a clothing item? I applied the material to Pauline directly, what's known as "second skin" method. You'll need a template of the doll or the clothing, as the case may be, in order to make a B&W mask to control what is glowy.

Cousin @rokketman and I did something similar for his Natasha Romanoff (aka "Black Widow") character:
    0_1506035044810_Roxie as Natasha Romanoff - Superfly - Erogenesis skin.jpg

I have a test render running which will demonstrate the difference between

• using the emission node routed into the CyclesSurface root

• using the LightPath node for ambient response boost

• simply cranking up the ambient value

I'll post that when it's done.

• Poser Ambassadors

This shows the distinction between apparent brightness versus lightcasting strength.
    All three lamps are bright, but only the center one casts light effectively; the outer two only cast light weakly, as if they were much dimmer sources.
    0_1506044532228_glow comparison 2.jpg

The ball on the left uses the emission node plugged into the CyclesSurface root:
    0_1506044614904_biolume left - emission into CyclesSurface.PNG

The center ball uses the LightPath node and some color math to boost the lightcasting output:
    0_1506044708479_biolume center - LightPath boost.PNG

The ball on the right simply has the ambient_value set high:
    0_1506044887511_biolume right - high ambient.PNG

• I was testing this last night and the setup with the boost plugged into an emissions node worked also if you have a shader with a cycles root node you want to add it to.

• @seachnasaigh
    Most of my characters are V4.2 based as I await the arrival of Project E. My primary character is a TY2 base until I figure out how to convert her facial structure to V4 or the aforementioned Project E. For the Tron inspired pics I have in mind I will probably be using body suits..though the second skin option may work as well.
    I really like the Romanov pic you posted. that is similar to what I had in mind clothing wise.

Thank you for the assistance and knowledge.
    -DP

• @digitalpanther I created that suit. It was for Roxie. I could make one for V4.2, but I don't have TY2. Tell me what you want.

• @rokketman I would be totally interested in a V 4.2 version.
    -DP

• @digitalpanther I'll get started on it in a day or two. I will make sure I make it a super conformer and will accept her morphs. I'll post progress in a new thread.

• @rokketman Awesome!
    Thanks!

-DP

• @digitalpanther Sure, no problem. I was going to ask if you can work with dynamics, because it will get done faster. And I don't have to worry about the morphs because you can 'grow' the suit around her by starting out zeroed and adding the morphs to say, frame 15.

But I will plan on rigging it.