Need dirty windows

• I'm using Merlin's medieval tavern. It comes with nice dirty windows like you'd expect of that time. But that's for firefly. I'd like to use a superfly shader to render them. The problem is I don't know how to dirty them up.
    I'm using BB's tricky glass shader and have a couple of maps for color and transparency but I don't know where to plug them in.

0_1506826051986_glass setup.JPG

Right now, they aren't plugged into anything. I tried putting the color one into the color of the Absorptionvolume like you would for colored glass, but that turned it black. and I tried putting it into the color of the glassbsdf and that wasn't much better. I have no idea where to start with the transparency map.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• @redphantom Use the transparency map as a mask on a MixClosure node with the texture map plugged into a Diffuse node: the dirt isn't part of the glass but on top of it. (You could get more realistic with a dialectric setup like Ghostship's Uber shader in place of the plain diffuse, but experimenting on a similar setup using Jack Tomalin's Parkside Point earlier today suggests the difference really isn't worth it.)

• I'm assuming you mean I should plug the defuse node into the mix closure with the transparency node, but how do I incorporate this into the rest of the shader?

• Are the windows in question really volumetric, not just the sheets of the polygons?

• they are just sheets of polygons

• @redphantom are they single sided or double sided? If they are single sided you might have trouble passing light through them.

• @redphantom than

1. you don't need GlassBsdf at all
    2. You don't need Volume input

I can't post screenshot now, but main idea will be use transparency/glossy mix, may be with a bit of diffuse. Or if you want to be more realistic, transparency/refractive/glossy mix.

@ghostship said in Need dirty windows:

@redphantom are they single sided or double sided? If they are single sided you might have trouble passing light through them.

As far as I understand, only with Fresnel-based mix.

• @redphantom said in Need dirty windows:

I'm assuming you mean I should plug the defuse node into the mix closure with the transparency node, but how do I incorporate this into the rest of the shader?

Sorry, I don't have Poser on this computer so I can't illustrate, but I'll try to explain what I mean with words.

1. Take a MixClosure node. Plug the transparency map into the Fac node.
    2. In the lower node plug a Diffuse node with your diffuse map plugged into it.
    3. In the upper node plug the Blender node that is currently plugged into the root.
    4. Plug the MixClosure into the root.

• @redphantom try this
    0_1506890346384_dirty window shader.jpg
    0_1506890361781_Window.jpg

• Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Ghostship, that worked beautifully.

0_1506901303667_glass.png

Still a lot to do on the scene but that at least is done

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.