Using a Parameter Dial to select which face of a PP2 die (dice) is upwards ?



  • Thank you anomalaus!

    I just returned from the weekend at *** and try to catch up.

    I'll upload the dice to "Zippyshare" which IMO is the best (and works with TOR too).

    However I still have a few questions to be answered.
    The main problem is about "animated" bump and displacement nodes, which shall follow the die's scale in order to keep relative values:
    "Bump/Disp values coupled to actual scale of die".
    So if you scale the die the default value will be adjusted according to the set scale automatically.
    It woks as intended as long as you load the original prop.

    But as soon as you try to apply a different texture (no matter whether it's .pz2, .mt5, .mc6 : It just discards the dependencies (PP2014 SR3)

    I found a workaround, but it's still acting strange (sometimes you'll have to click the MAT file TWICE to make the dependencies work!).
    Still fiddling with it.

    I'll be more specific once you have my version of the dice for download, so, laters.

    Tomorrow!
    I'm a tad tired tonight ...

    K



  • @karina yes, in PPro2014 the first application of an animated material clears the dependencies and the second re-applies them. Weird. I also notice that dependencies tend not to get saved or apply properly from .mt5, while they do save and work better from material collections, at least in P11. There are other features which require double application to work properly, like workspace layout dots when one has dual monitors. It takes a second click on the dot to move things like the Raytrace Render Preview window back to the second monitor.

    Scale is an especially problematic property in Poser. I had to resort to creating my own, hidden UnitScale parameter which I set appropriately with a python script by reading Poser's own preferences file. In that way, I can have non-translation parameter dials (which automatically display in the preferred units) containing measurements like depth of field or focus distance for cameras by dividing their internal value by the UnitScale (1 for PNU, 2.62128 for metres, etc), so when they're saved to the library, they are forced into PNU as happens with the translations. Oh, that reminds me, I need to request that feature from SMS: a way to define parameter dials as using display units.



  • 0_1507569782600_Die 6-sided (render).png

    Thank you for the insights anomalaus.

    In fact I've encountered some of the same problems (and others), but gladly I could solve most, or at least figure out a workaround.

    In this example I've got the problem of the dice's yRotation solved by just realigning the xyz orientation after "tossing the dice".
    So now the procedure is straightforward:
    Load the die, make it show your desired number on top with the injection, and you have a die without gimbal lock, and all axes reset as they should be.

    However one thing still makes me lose my hair:

    Scaling with bump/displacement values automatically adjusted by shaderNodeParms!
    With just one prop in the scene it works fine.

    The problems start when you change the texture (per .mc6 injection)
    and it gets worse when you load a second die into the scene:
    "Posing" the numbers works fine, as well as applying a different texture.
    Unfortunately the shaderNodeParms now go totally bonkers (also see below in the copy of the ReadMe file).

    This is definitely something that SM must work on!

    DOWNLOAD:
    http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/kCPGXlBa/file.html

    ReadMe file follows (included in download):

    =================================================

    NOTE:

    THIS IS NOT FOR REDISTRIBUTION, only testing purposes!

    For easier testing I kept all necessary files in one folder structure;
    put this folder where you like.

    DESCRIPTION:

    A simple prop made from a primitive because the die in the link
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/58467/browse/11/Poser/RPG-Dice-v1.0
    has a crazy polycount (10.000something).

    The die comes with improved textures for the dots and displacement map.
    The UV layout is the same as in the other dice so that you can swap
    texture maps to your liking.

    After loading the die is exactly one metre large, to facilitate
    finding it at all, and for quick testing purposes.

    If you want a die of 1.5 cm, set the Scale(xyz) to 1.5 per cent.
    The bump and displacement values will be scaled accordingly when you
    change the Scale(xyz) dial.
    This was achieved by "animating" the dials in the Material Room.

    There's a set of poses included to bring the clicked die face on top while
    preserving the current orientation and rotation of the y axis.
    This is achieved by realigning the prop's orientation.

    Use the RESET GEOM pose to zero all rotations and restore
    the original orientation.

    PROBLEMS:

    You can choose from six different colours for the die.
    However, there's a problem with Poser when injecting these any of these:
    The "animated" dials for Bump and Displacement behave very strange.
    Sometimes you have to click the texture twice to restore the dependency.

    Another Poser weirdness:
    When I have more than one die in the scene, Poser always reads the scale
    value of the first die loaded and propagates it to the "shaderNodeParm"s
    of the other dice loaded later.

    I think the problem is in the code of the shaderNodeParms:
    valueOpTimes
    NO_FIG
    Die 6-sided:1
    Scale

    I suppose Poser doesn't recognize and upcount the :1 counter in line #3.

    I really wish Poser would adjust such critical values like Bump and
    Displacement automatically with the scale of the figure or prop.
    Could save people a lot of headaches and bad surprises.

    DOWNLOAD:
    http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/kCPGXlBa/file.html