New to Poser

• Hello, as the topic title says I am brand new to poser. Poser 11 is the first poser program I have ever used. I did purchase the video tutorials and I have looked at the reference manual but I am still having a hard time applying color in the material room to hair made in the hair room.

I make sure that the hair is selected and play around with the colors. While in the preview areas it shows the color that I want it doesn't appear on the hair. Is there a step I am missing or something I possibly overlooked?

• Poser Ambassadors

@tsanders The hair might have multiple material zones, meaning different parts of the hair model have their own material. Perhaps you have the "preview" material selected?

Here is the advanced material room, showing all of the nodes expanded (the eye-shaped icon boxed in yellow-green opens the window).
    0_1506971354516_mat zone drop-down menu.png

In the advanced material room, you can select the eyedropper tool and point the mouse at the hair and click; that should select the hair material.
    0_1506971469423_editing tools - material eyedropper selected.PNG

Another possibility is that the material doesn't preview the same way it renders; the preview renderer is simple and it doesn't comprehend some of the new Cycles nodes. So, you may find that the hair renders well.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hello tsanders;, welcome to this forum.

In preview : You only see the infinite thin edges and vertex where the hair is build with.

The volume of the hair (or hair thickness as you like, that can be set in the hair room with Root and Tip with) , only shows its hair volume and colors at render time.

The preview only shows the infinite thin geometry edges and vertices.

• Dynamic hair is different from transmapped hair for the shader. Depending on which render engine you're using, will determine how to set up the shader.

For firefly, here is a simple shader that works.

0_1506981208463_hair 1.JPG

And here is one for superfly

0_1506981250197_hair 2.JPG

Neither will look the same as any preview. And the colors you choose may not match the render. A trick I use if I want a specific hair color is to find a photo of that hair color and open it in a 2d program and check the color of a light spot and a dark spot. They often don't look like what you'd expect.

• Notice that there is an odd behavior with dynamic hair, probably related to video drivers.

In my old system I'd put some color in the dynamic hair, but whatever amount of jabberwocking I did with the hair color it would show a different color in Preview window. The reason is that Poser remembers the color of objects that show in Wireframe mode, and uses that for hairs. So if I had anythg in wireframe mode then all my dynamic hair lost their color and instead show them all in gray (the default color of wireframes).

Oddly enough it did that even if the objects with display = wireframe were hidden. Who gets that! Anyway, once I changed all objects to display = textured, then the dynamic hairs showed their colored color as the nodes.

So if Poser insists to show hairs in gray color instead of the color you set, see if you have any objects around with display = wireframe, and change them to texture.

• @seachnasaigh

Hey, Seachanasaigh, I see that your material room defaults the object to a scary face.

Mine also started to do that at some point in time, and I have no idea how to get back to how it was, with default preview being a sphere.

Any idea on how to do that?

Thanks!

• Poser Ambassadors

@fbs7 You can move the default head.obz to some other place for safekeeping, or rename as original_head.obz, then substitute an OBJ of your choice, named head.obz, into the folder
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11\Content\Runtime\Geometries\MatRoomPreview

My choice would be a pawn with a sphere (-ish) on top of a cube (-ish). But for technical reasons, I frequently overwrite/re-install and so the head is back again.

• @seachnasaigh said in New to Poser:

@fbs7 You can move the default head.obz to some other place for safekeeping, or rename as original_head.obz, then substitute an OBJ of your choice, named head.obz, into the folder

My choice would be a pawn with a sphere (-ish) on top of a cube (-ish). But for technical reasons, I frequently overwrite/re-install and so the head is back again.

Hmm... but the default in Poser is a sphere, not a head... I never understdood how I suddenly got a head in there instead of my beloved sphere, I never touched that folder. The scary, ugly head just showed up one day, dunno why.

• @fbs7 Actually the default in Poser 11 is a head.

• Poser Ambassadors

I think it displays the sphere if Firefly is the selected engine, and displays the head if Superfly is selected.

Joe/Netherworks had a post on the old RDNA forum about how to switch it back to a sphere, and he provided a download to use. Unfortunately, with the RDNA forums long gone now, and no easy way to get in touch with him, I have no idea where that download is, or if it's even still available.

That said, his instructions were pretty much the same as those Seach has stated here, so as long as you backup the head.obz by renaming it, you can use anything you want in place of it.

I have a "Shadow" Poser directory on another drive where I keep all my modified (only these!) Poser files as duplicates - including the actual folder hierarchy, so that I know where the files belong.

Like this I can easily copy the files back into the "live" Poser folders if need should be (like, as you mentioned, after an update, or Poser has had another hiccup)

K

• @eclark1849 said in New to Poser:

@fbs7 Actually the default in Poser 11 is a head.

Oh.. good to know! I always thought I had broken something!

I think it displays the sphere if Firefly is the selected engine, and displays the head if Superfly is selected.

Ohhhh... You're right!

Go to Poser room, render with Superfly, go to Materials room, it shows the creepy head. Go back to the Poser room, render with Firefly, go to Materials room, now it has the sphere back! Or something sphere-ish.. I think...

That's how the thing switched all of sudden on me, several months ago. It's a relief! It's quite disturbing to put a hair texture and then see it on a head. Or a body texture! Brrrrrr... creeeeeepie!... On the other hand the duck texture on the head was kinda funny, I'm gonna miss that...

Now, if ONLY I had my current lights show in the material room, instead of whatever default lights show there. I always have problems with skin tones, as they show one way in the preview room, and a different way on the poser room, but then again one can hope for too much! :^D

• Welcome !

In material room you can also activate the raytrace preview window to best preview your materials. It still will not be accurate but much but better (and much slower).
    Also, you can use area render in preview window to render an area of your scene.

Ludovic.