Mac OS X High Sierra

• Any word on compatibility from SM or Mac users?

• @ctrl-shift I have no direct experience to inform you further, but I would be extremely cautious about using the case-sensitive option in APFS. There is SO MUCH poser content out there which is liable to break through case insensitivity in file paths, let alone my certain knowledge that Poser itself has multi-decade-old anachronisms in it's operating system file handling routines. 32 character filename limits? what garbage! Modern Mac hardware can't even run the operating system versions on which that used to apply (Thanks for the memories, though, Apple)

I have downloaded the installer, but am yet to install it on an external "spinning rust" HDD, and will wait until I see that it will let me use APFS on that drive. I have personally suffered through enough horror movie scenarios with MacOS upgrades breaking mission-critical software and no solution or rollback path available to be paranoid.

• @ctrl-shift I have installed High Sierra (late 2015 5k iMac with SSD) and Poser Pro 11 is working fine with APFS.

I don’t use every feature Poser offers but the only issue I’ve encountered is the colour picker is wonky. I filed a bug report and was told SM is aware of it but it’s Apple’s bug not theirs.

I also received this from my contact at SM:

We have tested the application on 10.13 and it is working. We have not tested all features and not all hardware has updated drivers. We have not fully tested the installers.

• @James_in_3D Woo hoo! Good news! Colour Picker has had problems with previous OS/Poser upgrades, so that's probably not surprising, but at least is relatively minimal.

Did you choose case-sensitive or insensitive on your APFS SSD? Is it a Fusion drive, or separate SSD and spinning rust HDD? Any word on APFS on external spindle media?

• @anomalaus From my understanding APFS works with SSD drives, but not currently with Fusion drives. The support for Fusion was there in beta versions of High Sierra but was pulled before final release due to some kind of issues. APFS is hoped to be released for Fusion at a future date. I don’t think APFS works on drives that aren’t solid state, but I’m unclear on that. I didn’t try to convert any of my external drives which are all spinners. FWIW, APFS has made things very quick on my iMac and on my old 2012 MacBook Pro (I replaced the spinner drive with a SSD a couple of years ago). Best source of advice is Apple and SM, though, as your mileage may vary. Hope you get it sorted in a way that works for you! :)

• @anomalaus Oh - and all my drives are non-case sensitive.

• @James_in_3D thanks, that's good to know about the case insensitivity. That was the way I had planned to go, but I don't have an external SSD to sacrifice/risk so I was hoping to test APFS on a spindled FW800 drive which can die without causing me pain, inconvenience or loss of data. My iMac is mid-2011 SSD + HDD, so it probably will run 10.13, but my old MacBook Pro is 2008, so it definitely won't.

• I was doing some research on compatibility, and I learned that High Sierra appears to be a step down a slippery slope to an update in 2018 that will no longer run 32-bit software at all. You can do a system report and look at your applications and get an idea of what is going to die. "Poser Library" shows up as 32 bt. but that could be from one of my older versions. Microsoft was about to end support for Office 2011 anyway but said it would not support it on High Sierra, though it might run. I may hold off until I see what 2018 brings.

• I just wanted to add I installed High Sierra and it converted to apfs case insensitive by default. App my programs are still working fine. Poser works fine. Adobe photoshop cs6 works fine as does Illustrator after downloading legacy java. Also all 32 bit programs still working including Hexagon.

This was actually the easiest os update I have had so far. Also disk utility allows you to convert external ssds that are HFS+ to APFS without losing data I did it with 4 256gb sd cards and one samsung t3 ssd all in a few minutes with no problems.

• @david_macrae thanks, after lots of research to work out how to reformat external media to APFS while still booted in maOS Sierra, I discovered that a High Sierra installer cannot be created on APFS formatted media! The Installer Disk Creator utility fails without explanation, just an error that it could not complete the installation. The terminal version of running createInstallMedia (which is what the utility does under the hood) at least shows the error: "APFS disks may not be used as bootable install media", so I had to backtrack and reformat the thumb drive as HFS+ (Journaled). Then createInstallMedia completed without error.

The next struggle was that my iMac pre-dates USB3 and thus can't boot from any of the drives attached to my Thunderbolt to USB3 adaptor. So I had to plug the thumb drive into a rear USB2 port before it was visible as a bootable drive! So, I now have High Sierra bootable from an external Firewire800 drive. I still haven't had a chance to play with Poser in that configuration, yet, as running Poser 11 from the other boot disk didn't include it's existing registration info, as I'd done a clean install. Of course, having been dual booting into Windows 10, I'd also used up all my Poser activations, so I couldn't just register the old copy and run it, GRRR.

Have to try and work out how to unregister a previous install so I can register a new one...

@RobZhena that's been in the offing for so long. Losing the ability to run old apps when Rosetta was canned. Arbitrarily limiting what versions of Windows will install under BootCamp on Macs that are more than capable of supporting higher. Apple deliberately firmware throttling their SATA chipsets from SATA II speeds to support the PATA Optical Drives in MacBookPro models.

• I did it yesterday. No issues at all, everything so far works just fine...However

My Poser library through the Library Panel is unsorted. It doesn't appear to have any reason to the order of items, either. It appears completely random.

This is a pita, as I find myself searching line by line through my library for basic items.

• Poser Ambassadors

The functions that iterate over files used to iterate over them in lexicographic order. This was a coincidence that the Poser developers relied on but should not have. There was no contract obligating the operating system to return file listings in sorted order.

APFS doesn't do that - oops.

• @ctrl-shift said in Mac OS X High Sierra:

I did it yesterday. No issues at all, everything so far works just fine...However

My Poser library through the Library Panel is unsorted. It doesn't appear to have any reason to the order of items, either. It appears completely random.

This is a pita, as I find myself searching line by line through my library for basic items.

Woah, Nelly! Thank you for that information. That is a show-stopper right there!

• WOW, I have to amend my above statement. I just opened poser again and did realize that my folders are now in random order?!?

I really hope this is fixed soon. Has anyone filed a bug report?

I guess temporarily I will have to use an extra external drive formatted with HFS+ for my library.

• Poser Ambassadors

There is a setting in Poser.ini called LIB_ITEMS_SERVER_SORT
    Could you try and set it to 1 and see of the problem is still there?
    I do not know where Poser.ini is located on the Mac, but on Windows it is in \users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Poser Pro\11

The unsorted list in the library also happens also on runtimes located on network drives. This setting was introduced to fix that.

• @wimvdb

lives in the file "~/Library/Application Support/Poser Pro/11/Poser Prefs" on macOS.

I will give this a try when next I boot into High Sierra (on plain Sierra ATM).

• YES!! haha that worked. Thanks @wimvdb

And just to save a little extra time for others it is on line #139 in my poser prefs file, and @anomalaus has the correct path.

I emailed support and they said they new about it and were working on a fix. I guess I should email them back and tell them.

• @david_macrae excellent! I just realised when I booted in High Sierra that I was doing so from an external Firewire Hard Drive and the High Sierra installer currently restricts APFS installations to SSD, so I don't actually have an APFS volume to test the library sorting on. I set the flag in Poser Prefs anyway, just to be prepared for when I finally trust APFS and High Sierra enough to upgrade my SSD.

• @wimvdb Yes! That fixed the problem. Thanks!

• I cannot find these files in any of mu libraries. Are they invisible ones that I need to use Terminal to render visible? Do they only appear AFTER I install High Sierra? Cheers.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.