UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    She was released with a buttload of content, it was a big splash.
    Followed by a big thud. Disappointed in that. Those that have her love her!

• @Deecey I missed that boat, but I may look into getting her later on. And as much of her content as possible.

But I am really hoping to see something come of all your work on Sydney. I really like her new face and the texture maps.

In the meantime, I am going to spend some time looking at the other figures I have (kept every runtime since Poser 8), and see if I can recreate my spider girlfriend.

• @Deecey I'd be interested in your Sydney, if you can find a way to distribute her. Weight mapping would be nice to have, but not essential for me at least. I'm looking for a variety of characters who don't look like derivatives of one common figure, that I can use to tell stories. I still use the G2 figures from time to time for that purpose. I still use Victoria 1 sometimes. :)

• Poser Ambassadors

@englishbob
    One of the reasons I made Sydney's new face more generic was because it was really hard to "un-Sydney" Sydney. She had features that were very distinctive, and character derivatives were always easy to spot.

The new one has lots of face morphs to customize her also. The three standard FBM's are still there and working (Ectomorph, Endomorph, Mesomorph), as well as some additional body part morphs. I love doing morphs, it's one of my favorite things. 8-)

• @Deecey said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

@englishbob
    One of the reasons I made Sydney's new face more generic was because it was really hard to "un-Sydney" Sydney. She had features that were very distinctive, and character derivatives were always easy to spot.

Agreed, and this is one of the things I like about your un-Sydney. Olivia G2 and Miki 2 have similar problems - once you've used them, you can't use them again without a lot of morphing work (and I don't enjoy that as much as you do!)

I hope you can find a way to make her available that doesn't involve Smith Micro kicking your door down. :)

• @Deecey I never liked using Sydney because she always looked like she was mad.

• Poser Ambassadors

@englishbob
    Actually I was going to try to add the legacy faces as alternative character morphs (SydneyG2, JessiG2, OliviaG2). Still debating adding those in anyway, but not sure how much they'd be used. It might be better just to add some fresh new ethnicity morphs.

• @eclark1849 said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

@Deecey I never liked using Sydney because she always looked like she was mad.

But what if you want to depict a mad person? She'd be ideal for that. :P

@Deecey said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

@englishbob
    Actually I was going to try to add the legacy faces as alternative character morphs (SydneyG2, JessiG2, OliviaG2). Still debating adding those in anyway, but not sure how much they'd be used. It might be better just to add some fresh new ethnicity morphs.

If I've read this thread properly, un-Sydney is not morph- or texture-compatible with the G2 figures, so leaving that particular back door open involves you in extra work which is best avoided, especially given that your intent was to move away from them. On the other hand if it's trivial to do, then I think my attitude would be 'why not?'

• Poser Team

@karina said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

Folks, I really appreciate your efforts and your enthousiasm.

BUT:

What do you think, how many people would actually use Sydney and the "wealth" of content available for her?
    Five?
    Ten?
    Ah come on!

I absolutely don't want to be a spoilsport here - but do you really think it's worth the time and effort?
    With not yet ANY of the newer Poser weight mapped figures being a real success, do you actually believe that people have just waited for an even older (and error-riddled) figure to be reanimated?

Though - well, looking at it from a nostalgic viewpoint, and making this a project "à fonds perdu", I can understand.

But in the end, I think it's better for Poser's future to support figures like Ero's "Project E" (which appears the most promising figure for Poser I've seen since V4 was released).

K

This, is why no Poser figure will ever succeed.

Waiting on, then moving on from the next Poser figure has been a vicious cycle for a long time.
    Poser isn't just about one figure, it is about having a choice from lots of them.

Abandoning every figure in hopes of the next, well, all you ever do is abandon....

• @shvrdavid:

You are right of course, but that's how things are. That's how humans are - always wanting the latest and most shiny thing.

However what's often overlooked is that we need some sort of "flagship" figure to attract NEW users.
    We old grumpy freaks tinkering with odd figures and aetherical problems are irrelevant vs. the average users which never visit these forums.

Look at DAZ, they have Genesis in the umpteenth iteration and countless variations. But it's the figure which lures users aboard the DAZ ship because everybody is talking about Genesis, and a lot of nonsensical "buzzwords" fly around everywhere.
    So it's a logical consequence 3D newbies go the DAZ website, download Studio ("and it's freeee!").

Whoops, Poser has lost a customer.

When it comes to Poser, which figures are most acclaimed in the forums? Which figure is known for such a massive amount of content, ease of use, and looking attractive too? (let's ignore V4 for a moment, I'm talking of Poser's own figures here, and V4 is DAZ, and besides that she works in DAZ too)

SO if still some people decide to have a look at Poser too, they first see a heavy price tag.

Next they see a plethora of figures most of them have never heard of.
    And that "Genesis" figure doesn't work immediately?

"Ah well, I think I'll try Studio first to find out if this 3D thing is for me at all".

Whoops, Poser has lost another customer.

What Poser needs to attract more NEW users (and that's the point!), is some killer argument that will convince newbies that they WANT POSER, and not that other program.

Unfortunately arguments like

• but you can get Genesis to work if you use converter x and then tweak this and that but the clothing won't fit correctly..

• it has Bullet Physics, and the Morph Tool and the Grouping Tool work fantastic, and Metaballs (soon...)
      ... actually do mean nothing to them.

• You could as well say "It has a tripolar virtual warp core, subsonic gravity balancers and the photon torpedo launcher's target aquisition phalanx works with N-dimensional intraspace cycles".

The "Why should I use Poser" conversation probably will go like this:

• Peter: "But which figure should I go to?"
    • Paul: "Now there are many, like [___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___fill in here]"
    • Peter: "But which one is the best?"
    • Paul: "Difficult to tell..."
    • Peter: "But do they have clothing that will fit easily?"
    • Paul: "Not much. But you can use any clothing if you follow these easy 10 steps and learn to use these programs:..."
    • Peter: "But what about poses, and facial expressions? I saw Genesis has thousands of them for easy use"
    • Paul: "Well there are a few abroad. Search here... and here... and I heard that somewhere at... there might be some too. But often the quality isn't so good."
    • Peter: "Ah I see. Thank you for your help anyway."

Whoops, Poser has lost yet another customer.

To sum it up:

New customers which start in 3D are looking for an easy way to create a nice render a day, in the few hours of leisure time that they have.

• They don't want to waste their time with tweaking awkwardly looking figures, run clothing through converters (and still needing to learn the Morph Brush).
    • Nor do they want to learn to edit Poser files to get things to work properly.
    • All they want is a nice render.

Now IF we had that one figure which can run circles around Genesis and attracts new users, and THEN we can tell them: "Yes it's a perfect figure. But with Poser you'll also have the option to this, and that, and that too which can't be done in the other program!"

Don't you think this would be a good marketing strategy?

Sorry for being so lengthy again...

Karina

• @karina Of course, even if we had that one figure that could walk talk and be or best buddy, people are still going to go with the program that's free and there's plenty of content for. SM might have been able to save some of it's market share if they hadn't taken the path that thought "DAZ will come around and work with us". And even if they had rewritten Poser to accomodate Genesis, Poser would still be a version behind every generation of Genesis that came out. DAZ changes versions like people change socks.

• Poser Ambassadors

@karina said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

what's often overlooked is that we need some sort of "flagship" figure to attract NEW users.

This has been debated over & over & over in Poser forums for years. What is often overlooked is that it isn't 2006 any more. @shvrdavid is right, the greater the choice of figures for Poser the better - that means that the Poser team has to focus as always on the tools.

Daz & Poser have totally different business models - they are not comparable. Each has its own strengths & weaknesses; yet more debate around that is futile & unproductive IMO.

• Poser Ambassadors

LOL All I wanted to do was tell rokketman that the Sydney character had already been UV mapped the way he wants and that I'd try to find a way to distribute it if it was possible.

I'm often amazed at thread drift and the feelings that Poser evokes. We all love Poser that is why we are here. But let's not turn this into a shouting match, please, I was only trying to help!

• I wonder if you offered it to distribute it exclusively through Smith Micro. If it's in a condition that can be sold, have it only available at Content Paradise. If they get a cut of the profits for doing nothing, that might help. Sydney comes with Poser, so Poser users already have her.

My cynicism tells me that probably won't help.

• Poser Ambassadors

@willdial
    It depends on what one would consider "sellable".
    If people want it to be compatible with P7 and later, like the original, it's just about ready.
    If people want it weight mapped (and therefore working with P9 and later), mine is nowhere near that, but shvrdavid's probably is.

And given that up until this point I've only weight mapped clothing, and rigging a complete figure involves hoops I've barely jumped through, it will take me longer than the average bear. 8-)

• @Deecey I agree. I started this thread to point out a flaw that I never bothered to look for in a figure I happen to really like using. I didn't start it to bring up the DAZ/Poser fight AGAIN. Let's not bring that up anymore. The thread is about Sydney and UV mapping, not that other bull that I don't want to get into. I have both programs. I barely use the other. I can't even pose a figure in it, let alone do a render. This is SM's POSER forum, let's please, please keep it that . I've never had a thread locked on me. I don't want this to be my first...

• @Deecey I wonder if, as it was offered earlier, the two of you can't possibly collaborate? I like your new face, and I like weight mapping. But to be honest, I use Sydney as she is right now, and the weight mapping thing, at least for me, is not a show stopper. The renders I posted here were done in PP11, not Poser 7, so...

• @rokketman To be honest, a non-weightmapped figure isn't a deal breaker for me either. I still use V4.

• @eclark1849 So do I, along with Alyson and her variations, Jessi, and the project human models every once in awhile.

• A non-weightmapped character would not be deal breaker for me either. But, there would be some who would complain.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.