UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2

• @willdial
    It depends on what one would consider "sellable".
    If people want it to be compatible with P7 and later, like the original, it's just about ready.
    If people want it weight mapped (and therefore working with P9 and later), mine is nowhere near that, but shvrdavid's probably is.

And given that up until this point I've only weight mapped clothing, and rigging a complete figure involves hoops I've barely jumped through, it will take me longer than the average bear. 8-)

• @Deecey I agree. I started this thread to point out a flaw that I never bothered to look for in a figure I happen to really like using. I didn't start it to bring up the DAZ/Poser fight AGAIN. Let's not bring that up anymore. The thread is about Sydney and UV mapping, not that other bull that I don't want to get into. I have both programs. I barely use the other. I can't even pose a figure in it, let alone do a render. This is SM's POSER forum, let's please, please keep it that . I've never had a thread locked on me. I don't want this to be my first...

• @Deecey I wonder if, as it was offered earlier, the two of you can't possibly collaborate? I like your new face, and I like weight mapping. But to be honest, I use Sydney as she is right now, and the weight mapping thing, at least for me, is not a show stopper. The renders I posted here were done in PP11, not Poser 7, so...

• @rokketman To be honest, a non-weightmapped figure isn't a deal breaker for me either. I still use V4.

• @eclark1849 So do I, along with Alyson and her variations, Jessi, and the project human models every once in awhile.

• A non-weightmapped character would not be deal breaker for me either. But, there would be some who would complain.

• @willdial Why complain about something that didn't exist in that version of Poser? I use a lot of non weight mapped characters. You just have to remember that there are limits to what you can do as far as extreme poses are concerned. I guess some people can never be satisfied...

• @rokketman said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

@willdial Why complain about something that didn't exist in that version of Poser? I use a lot of non weight mapped characters. You just have to remember that there are limits to what you can do as far as extreme poses are concerned. I guess some people can never be satisfied...

Well, when it comes to vendor support, it is important. I won't rig for a spherical rigged figure anymore. It's just too much work for an inferior end product - and when the limits you speak of above come into play, it is the clothing vendor who gets blamed for pokethrough, not the limits of the figure itself.

A spherical rigged skirt takes twice as long to rig as a weight mapped skirt.

• @karina said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

Folks, I really appreciate your efforts and your enthousiasm.

BUT:

What do you think, how many people would actually use Sydney and the "wealth" of content available for her?
    Five?
    Ten?
    Ah come on!

I absolutely don't want to be a spoilsport here - but do you really think it's worth the time and effort?
    With not yet ANY of the newer Poser weight mapped figures being a real success, do you actually believe that people have just waited for an even older (and error-riddled) figure to be reanimated?

Though - well, looking at it from a nostalgic viewpoint, and making this a project "à fonds perdu", I can understand.

**But in the end, I think it's better for Poser's future to support figures like Ero's "Project E" (which appears the most promising figure for Poser I've seen since V4 was

I would - the SM G2 figures are still my "go-to" figures. Believe it or not, some of us need realistically sized figures, not 6 ft amazons that represent less than 5% of the population.

• @caisson said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

@karina said in UV maps on Poser 7 Sydney G2:

what's often overlooked is that we need some sort of "flagship" figure to attract NEW users.

This has been debated over & over & over in Poser forums for years. What is often overlooked is that it isn't 2006 any more. @shvrdavid is right, the greater the choice of figures for Poser the better - that means that the Poser team has to focus as always on the tools.

Daz & Poser have totally different business models - they are not comparable. Each has its own strengths & weaknesses; yet more debate around that is futile & unproductive IMO.

THIS!!!!!!

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.