Q: How do I apply bump when using the Cycles Surface root?

• Poser Ambassadors

For some Superfly materials, I use the Cycles Surface root. Superfly displacement is practically useless because it needs to move actual vertices (that's a morph, to my mind), rather than doing Firefly-style micropolygon displacement.
    I could -begrudgingly- make do with bump, but I don't know how to set up bump with the Cycles Surface root. I've tried running the Normal Map node (set to gradient bump) to the root's displacement socket, but, well, it wants to move vertices, which destroys the shape of a low-poly model.

• Poser Ambassadors

Unless low poly-count is very important to you, you could use the displacement in Cycles and increase the subdivision on your model (prop?). I've done that with a lot of my shader tests and it has helped a lot.

• Poser Ambassadors

It's not that low-poly is important (my workstations have lots of RAM), but to get fine detail on Roxie's skate boots would require very high poly count, and doing displacement grass on a terrain hundreds of times larger area than the Millennium Environment would take an astronomical poly count.
    Micropolygon displacement would be very useful indeed; Superfly's current vertex-shifting displacement -aka "morphing"- is useless to me.
    For the lettering on the sidewalls of the skate wheels (and the car tires), and the piping on the seams of the skate boots, bump would be acceptable, but I don't know if it can be done using the Cycles Surface root node, and if so, how to do it.

• Plus, some things still don't subdivide well.

I too would like to be able to do bump with cycles

• Poser Ambassadors

@redphantom said in Q: How do I apply bump when using the Cycles Surface root?:

Plus, some things still don't subdivide well.

I too would like to be able to do bump with cycles

Good point, RedPhantom. My new models henceforth will have both "control edges" and be checked for subdivision behavior, but older stuff doesn't have those features.

I would love micropolygon displacement for Superfly. Meantime, I could get by with bump for the Cycles Surface root. I can get the velvet effect for Tink's pixie dress using the Cycles Surface root, but then I have no bump and no useable displacement.

• You can use a bump map by converting it to a normal map with the cycles "Bump" Node. Connect the bump map to the height-input of the bump-node and set height of the bumpmap with the distance setting (mind this is in meters, so 0,001 is 1 mm.)
    Connect the output of the bumpnode to the 'normal'- input of the shaders. You have connect it to all the normal-inputs within the material, perhaps except the transparency shader.

You can only use this with cycles-shaders, because the original poser-nodes, don't have a normal input

• Poser Ambassadors

Thank you, Bopperthijs! :D

Running adapted material test render now! ^^

This is what I have:
    alt text