Should SM support an open movie project in Poser?

• Every now and then I go to the Blender website to check what's the latest movie that's cooking over there. I started doing that with their Sintel movie from 2010; I was flabbergasted at the little girl and her dragon (I'm such a sucker for these themes), and I firmly believe that was a magnificent demo of the capabilities of that product.

On the Poser side there was Star Trek Aurora (what a brilliant movie), plus several one-person demos, and I know there is (or was) RWBY. But, imho, RWBY is not particularly promoted by SM as having much to do with Poser, so unless someone reads forums they will never know. And while I did love Aurora (and the other single-person projects), movies are such time-consuming things that they do need many people involved in order to have a refined professional look.

So it could be a smart investment by SM to provide free assets (toons, props and an environment) and help organize a group of volunteers that would use these assets to make a story. Added points if SM provides a rendering service and some kind of coordination. No idea how to add voice over and music in that mix, but I guess someone with a will would find a way.

The Blender folks did out of sheer spirit, and I stand in awe of the results. If SM is serious about promoting Poser as an animation tool, then they should consider that.

• Part of the reason with Blender was (as I understand it...) that any time they really needed a feature that Blender couldn't do... they built it into Blender. So I think it would be great of if this were done for Poser... along with the same intention to improve Poser in every area that seems lacking for the project, or that gives them trouble trying to use it.

• I would love to get involved with something like this. I have over 30 spec scripts that could easily be brought into the mix. And I have the software to do voice overs and other sound effects, as well as a lot experience with soundtrack mixing and mastering. I would volunteer in a heartbeat to do this.

• When I first came to Poser v2, Poser used to include a few frames of animation in the Poses library. Now I don't think it comes with any frames of animation.

Still, the 3dcontent directory now has an animation section under construction in the Poses category with links to bvh, fbx, and mocap animation files, both expensive and free.

• @eclark1849 Pose->Universal Poses->G2 Animations has a few as does Pose->Universal Poses->Motion Capture

• Thanks Raven. Never really saw that before. All this talk about animation is making me want to try to put together a short scene. I know exactly what I want to do just not how to do it exactly. I need to check and see if I can do it the way I'd like, first.

• @fbs7 said in Should SM support an open movie project in Poser?:

... If SM is serious about promoting Poser as an animation tool, then they should consider that.

/agree

Though, an open-movie project might be too ambitious right now. HOWEVER, they should do more "product showcasing", which they don't do at all. Go to another site and you see "Lookit wat i rendereded!"

Do they have that here or on CP? /shrug I dunno. And, since I don't know, that's a bad thing, since I use Poser and post random gibberish here on the forums...

So, what they should do as far as animation is concerned is provide a web-page with embedded shorts, likely youtube vids/api, and links to projects that use Poser. People who produce animations and commercial stills/comics would probably love to link their work there, another place for them to advertise for free, and SM would benefit from the free "showcase" of their product's capabilities.

There's one drawback, though - There's a lot of adult content produced with Poser. I don't know how SM feels about that, but a buck's a buck and they could hide that under a login or something. Or, if they got enough submissions, they could screen that out or only link to the producer's member-page/something.

The point is - Yes, I agree, SM should explore methods to showcase their product's capabilities. Poser won't sell itself on the shelf, since there aren't any shelves anymore, and if animators are a target audience, they need some... animations. :)

• I would also be open to something like this.. adding facial and body mocap to the mix.. would be very interesting..

• @kkstudio Actually you Poser has Kinect connections now for mocap and CP has some software for on sale for markerless mo cap. Check out the new animation section on the Poser vendor directory for more links.
    3dcontentdirectory.com

• Thank you eclark1849, I was referring to bringing my mocap systems to use in a project like this, I have an OptiTrack and a Dynamixyz facial mocap system. The only think I have to work out is the fbx bugs that Poser has that make it somewhat difficult.

• @eclark1849 said in Should SM support an open movie project in Poser?:

@kkstudio Actually you Poser has Kinect connections now for mocap and CP has some software for on sale for markerless mo cap. Check out the new animation section on the Poser vendor directory for more links.
    3dcontentdirectory.com

And, how come I didn't know about that? It seems pretty dramatic, right? That's just the "golly gee wowzers" kind of splash-advertising that's perfect for drawing attention to something, right?

So, imagine a vid with a guy/girl going through some facial expressions and seeing the animation of those expressions side-by-side with a 3D face mimicking them. Now, rotate the camera around the 3d head as these expressions are being generated. Now, cut to the figure mimicking these expressions during a animation sequence. Sure, that's a few hours of work, but it'd be on teh interwebz forevar.... Done well, it'd get a clickstorm for quite awhile.

• maybe like some of these? (works in progress still) https://vimeo.com/user54654004 , more than a few hours of work though.. especially to get all the nuances of expression when using photoreal characters.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.