Animation:Master vs Poser?

• I had never heard of this Animation:Master thingie until I started to look at the 11-seconds Club thingie. Followed the links and I'm just flabbergasted! Pretty much every single thing I've been asking for in animation for Poser for years is available in Animation:Master - pose-based walking with no feet slipping (they call that a reusable pose with stride), liquid/metaballs (they call that blobbies, I suspect it's the same thing), sprites, smoke, particle systems, word-based lipsyncing, dopesheets (they call that spreadsheets, I think), no-overshooting splines, plus the same old stuff that everybody has - spring systems, animated cage deformations, cloth, soft body, rigid body - and some stuff I was surprised to see there - modelling, rigging, flocks, plugins for blender with mesh & bone import/export, rotoscoping and 2D animation.

Then on the downside everything looks quite cartoony, will never render as good-looking toons as Poser, the software seems to be a one-person band, doesn't seem to use hardware preview, looks outdated, the website is full of dead links and I fear it may be stale.

But all in all I was tremendously impressed by it - and it's a $300 buy, or a $75 annual subscription (I think, the website is really horrible). Anyone has tried their hand at that guy and can offer some comparison to Poser?

• @fbs7 Animation Master has been around a really, really long time. The company is a family operation, and it shows. There were times when you had to go through a rather elaborate process just to get into their forums. It looks like Martin is back which is good, but you can see they've been getting by on extremely minimal investments. I take that as a good sign.

• @meshbox said in Animation:Master vs Poser?:

@fbs7 Animation Master has been around a really, really long time. The company is a family operation, and it shows. There were times when you had to go through a rather elaborate process just to get into their forums. It looks like Martin is back which is good, but you can see they've been getting by on extremely minimal investments. I take that as a good sign.

I'm really very impressed with the capabilities of that program. The interface does seem quite outdated, so that's one of those programs that can really use some facelift. But a program that starts their manual describing the principles of animation and how to use camera movements in a movie, that's really a program that's serious about animation.

• I been using animation master for a long time. I also have poser pro, and Lightwave2015. I can make a cage mesh in Hash Animation master and rig it and use smart skin to make the smooth bend of the joints and add spring to the body, then use that cage to drive a full resolution mesh in Lightwave that is imported from Poser, then add bullet dynamics to the weight map of the imported poser model. However, you can not import poser model into Animation master!

Poser has really good resources for the character model, but it is slow in many regards of rendering, setting up animation, and even motion capture in kinectv2 has no smoothing dials. There isn't anything useful from Poser that I would want in regard to animation. But exporting the model and morph targets is all that I would want from Poser.

If you want a fast decent animation tool for Poser, I would suggest taking a look at https://www.nukeygara.com/ you can export poser to FBX and then re-import it back to poser for final rendering. It pretty much has all the tools you need to set up animation.

• @ruscular said in Animation:Master vs Poser?:

I been using animation master for a long time. I also have poser pro, and Lightwave2015. I can make a cage mesh in Hash Animation master and rig it and use smart skin to make the smooth bend of the joints and add spring to the body, then use that cage to drive a full resolution mesh in Lightwave that is imported from Poser, then add bullet dynamics to the weight map of the imported poser model. However, you can not import poser model into Animation master!

Poser has really good resources for the character model, but it is slow in many regards of rendering, setting up animation, and even motion capture in kinectv2 has no smoothing dials. There isn't anything useful from Poser that I would want in regard to animation. But exporting the model and morph targets is all that I would want from Poser.

If you want a fast decent animation tool for Poser, I would suggest taking a look at https://www.nukeygara.com/ you can export poser to FBX and then re-import it back to poser for final rendering. It pretty much has all the tools you need to set up animation.

Oh.... I didn't know about this nukeygara thingie... a French software!! I love croissants, so I'm already favourable to it!

Tell me again, if I export an FBX from Poser into Nukeygara, will I get the skin, skeleton and morphs in Nukeygara? or only skin and skeleton, and then I'll have to add the morphs on my own (or reimport back to Poser and add the morphs in Poser)?

Also, gotta love that they put in big bold red letters: "All licenses include the full feature set -
    Perpetual licenses ( no subscription fees) - Minor updates free and major version upgrades at a reasonable price". Hah! Take that iClone! That's one right in the nose!!! I'm loving them for the big bold red letters alone!

I'm not sure if "hobby" goes into the "students" (free) or "indie" ($179) license, but both cases seem very reasonable!

• Its pretty darn friendly you can import the FBX and retain the rig as well, just add the null to the foot and hands and you got IK/FK .

• @ruscular said in Animation:Master vs Poser?:

Its pretty darn friendly you can import the FBX and retain the rig as well, just add the null to the foot and hands and you got IK/FK .

but how about the morphs?

• A very good question, I had the beta version and they just now release the final version. But I was not able to figure out how to use all the mouth morph, and the best I could figure out if you save the face with mouth open you could make adjustment for mouth open and close. Was difficult to do anything more. As for the other body morph, you can export them thru the FBX format. I would go ahead and save the mouth pose option when you go to export it. because you can use them in Lightwave or another 3D program and maybe back into Poser. The Akeytsu doesn't have a renderer, it was made to go out and back into the 3D program that you use. All you are using it for is the animation. The developer is working on exporting to BVH eventually. When that happens it will be very sweet program for many more people.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.