Daz Studio adding a physics engine...

• Not looking to start a software war folks. Let's keep any comments civil and on topic. I AM wondering how SM will respond to this news. This is one of the few advantages Poser had over Studio, even if it wasn't perfect. Now, Studio is catching up in that area, and Poser has basically allowed the Hair Room and the cloth Room to languish for years with little to no improvement, despite users begging for them.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 - re. the Hair & Cloth rooms - as far as I am aware (& I haven't been corrected yet) these were not coded by the Poser dev team. They are 3rd party licensed code. I strongly suspect that this is the reason they have not been altered in any significant way because users have been making these request for features/improvements for years. I would be amazed if the current dev team don't have the recent requests from this forum documented; whether there is anything they can do or not remains to be seen.

BTW, you didn't mention Bullet Physics which was added in Poser 11. There are areas here I'd like to see improvements - a fracture tool, the ability to freeze & export geometry at a chosen point in the sim for example (I'm sure there are others - I use Modo Indie which also uses Bullet Physics but has additional tools that make it more useful). This is an aspect of Poser I'd like to see developed.

• @caisson I'm pretty sure you're right. And also tells me why Poser wasn't too keen on adopting DAZ technology for Genesis in Poser. But it shouldn't keep them from developing their own tech for cloth and hair sims and just abandoning those licensed technologies.

• Poser Ambassadors

If it's not possible for SM to touch the Hair & Cloth rooms (& like I said, I don't know if that is the case or not) the choices could be to keep the rooms as they are, scrap them completely & code a new dynamics engine or work on features surrounding Bullet Physics.

Development always comes down to time & money; that's why I imagine it would be more cost-effective to add features to complement Bullet.

There is always the possibility of other features being added that could have an impact - an Instancing system (which has been requested quite a lot on this forum) with a hair primitive & shader could be good for short hair/fur for example. That might address some of the issues with hair ...

• Poser Ambassadors

Bullet physics was added in Poser 10/2014 actually. (released in 2013).

Removing hair and cloth room would make all the current content for them non-functional. So while a lot of people aren't happy with them as they are, there are some out there who have produced some nice results with them in the past.

Would probably be better to add something new and leave what's there alone, if it can't be modified due to licensing issues. That would keep both camps pitchforks at bay.

Maybe adding hair and cloth functionality to the physics room would be the best route. Along with the ability to save settings for reuse. Poser definitely needs a way to create, store and apply cloth presets for different types of cloth - cotton, leather, silk, vinyl, etc - all behave differently in draping.

Or maybe look into what Blender has done with hair and cloth.

• @eclark1849 said in Daz Studio adding a physics engine...:

Not looking to start a software war folks. Let's keep any comments civil and on topic. I AM wondering how SM will respond to this news. This is one of the few advantages Poser had over Studio, even if it wasn't perfect. Now, Studio is catching up in that area, and Poser has basically allowed the Hair Room and the cloth Room to languish for years with little to no improvement, despite users begging for them.

Then why are you bringing it up?

Who cares what they are doing.

• Any dynamic clothing setup that can use props with no special treatment needed before taking it into a new cloth room would allow all old content to be used. If there was a simple one or two click conversion that worked well all the time, it would still allow for old content to be used.

As far as the dynamic hair, yeah, there is some nice hair out there. (looking at adorana), but not a lot. If a new hair room was usable and people could make hair in less than six months and 3 wig purchases for the creator. That didn't send most people running screaming back to the pose room, we might be able to replace the few styles we'd lose without much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

• @ssgbryan If you don't care, then why are you reading this thread, let alone posting in it?

• @redphantom I don't think they're doing hair, but then again they already have a third party hair vendor that does a product called Look At My Hair.

• I don't care about DAZ physics engine... their animation still sucks (although they do have metaballs)..

Now, if DAZ would get some decent animation features... who knows...

• I saw their post a few days ago. The feature that looks nice is the ability to do draping on a single frame. I watched the video and it did improve the dress.

• @eclark1849 I know, but someone mentioned it and the 2 are often combined in a discussion.

• @willdial from what I was told, only certain conformers will drape in one frame and it won't work on all conformers. Non-conforming clothing still needs a simulation.

• @redphantom I'm not surprised.

• @fbs7 Just so you know the Directory now has some animation links to mocap and bvh files you might be interested in. The page is still under construction, but the links do work.

• @eclark1849 said in Daz Studio adding a physics engine...:

@fbs7 Just so you know the Directory now has some animation links to mocap and bvh files you might be interested in. The page is still under construction, but the links do work.

Thank you

• Just for the record: one frame simulation can be done in Poser since quite a while, with the 'drape' function. You could call this dual mode clothing.

Take a dynamic shirt, for example, add all geometry to chest group and in the fitting room make it into a conformer with collars, shoulders, and forearms. Do not cut mesh. Then fix main joints so weight maps cover all the vertices to be moved, so shoulder joint WM's to affect shoulder and foream, etc. Make sure chest is affected by all joints.
    Credit goes to Vilters who posted about this sort of techniques before.
    The shirt, when conformed, should now be posable and roughly follow the arm movements, enough to keep it around the body enough to make the drape succesful.
    Set up the simulator so far as to Poser to know what object is to be clothified object, to what it is to collide, where to use constraints and decorations, and dynamic properties.
    Conform and pose as usual in one frame. When the figure is posed, and shirt has followed, in cloth room start drape from that piose, not from zero pose of course!, and see how drape settles poke-thru. Use reset to undo the effect of the drape and to go on with your next pose.
    Just to re-emphasize: the joint setup serves only to create the right conditions for the drape process,

• @fverbaas oh, one frame draping does work again? Good to hear.

• @masterstroke Did it stop working? When?

• @fverbaas I'm wondering if that method is more, or less time consuming and complicated than using a 30 frame animation.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.