Best way to create fantasy characters?

• I mean characters like mermaids, fairies, etc. I know in the tutorial videos that the custom character made was a devil like creature but I would prefer to make the horns black if I were making it. Is it possible to use the morph tool to make things like the mermaid tail and somehow change the texture? I unfortunately don't have the pro version of 11.

• Update: I am testing out using the various shapes to see what I can do. The ballcone seems to be a good base for a basic tail had to put the scale measurements for all the parts of the leg to 0% in order to get Pauline to fit inside of the cone, then parenting the cone to the waist seemed to work somewhat. Detail wise I'm not fully sure what I will be able to do.alt text

• @tsanders said in Best way to create fantasy characters?:

Update: I am testing out using the various shapes to see what I can do. The ballcone seems to be a good base for a basic tail had to put the scale measurements for all the parts of the leg to 0% in order to get Pauline to fit inside of the cone, then parenting the cone to the waist seemed to work somewhat. Detail wise I'm not fully sure what I will be able to do.![alt text]

Hmm... if I were to try to do it, I'd do the basic mesh for the tail in Blender - draw it free hand in 2 views, then use the mesh drawing tool in Blender, subdivide in a number of curves, then create the UV-map and that's it, export OBJ and send to Poser to rig with a skeleton.

I try to avoid using Blender, though, as I spend most of the time trying to find the hotkey I need and hope that's not the "exploded the computer" hotkey. So many times I just go to SketchUp free version, and model it there. You can find anything in Sketchup's library, so chances are there's a ready made fish waiting for you - just import it, and remove the head and half the body, leaving the tail. Now, SketchUp free doesn't come with OBJ export, what's a bugger, but you can export in Collada and use this free tool to convert it to FBX, and then from FBX to OBJ: Autodesk FBX Converter.

Now that you have a tail mesh, you just add some bones in the Setup room and change to figure, then position around Pauline's wait and use the Morph tool to morph it to Pauline's wait. Then just parent to Pauline, hide her legs, voila you got your mermaid.

Now, I anticipate that you'll need to transition the texture from Pauline's skin to the fish tail. So you'll need first to extract the UV map of the tail; that's easily done with Blender (just import the OBJ, go to the UV map window and find the hotkey thingie to print out the UV map pattern). Or you can use other tools to extract the UV map, I bet other people may have other suggestions too.

With the UV map pattern you'll need to go to a bitmap editor to copy Pauline's texture, deform and position over the UV map texture, draw your own fish texture, and then transition from pauline skin to a fish texture. This step will require great artistry to get done right. Or just be like me, don't show your movies to anyone above 15 and just don't worry about that - kids are very forgiving.

ps: an idea about the tail is like The Little Mermaid - notice how her tail actually looks like pants; there's no transition at all, just a straight cut as a V in the front, and straight in the back, with two side flappy things on the sides. That should save pain on texture editing, if you're not into that.

• I have to agree with the Blender scenario. I made a mermaid tail for Roxie a few years ago and put it on Sharecg, if you want to check it out.
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/72948/browse/11/Poser/Roxies-Mermaid-Tail

• DAZ has a bunch of mermaid tails, etc, that you could get into Poser using DSON or exporting the cr2 from DS and then make Poser native with Netherworks’ Creators Toybox script (available at Hiverwire3D). Then adapt it to Pauline. It will be beautiful and fully rigged. There are no creature morphs available for Pauline or Paul, but you could use the face room and available commercial morphs to create elves, dwarves, and face. Those kinds of morphs are available for most other figures you could by, as are pre-made character sets.

• Well, if you're going to buy one from DAZ, then V4 has a mermaid tail you could get and it's already Poser native.