The mystery of Displacement bounds?

• I've rendered thousands of images in Firefly, for over 7 years, many with displacement maps, but I have never ever understood displacement bounds. I have an image now of a sandy beach, with the sand's shape determined by spot procedurals, it looks pretty cool,but unfortunately, cracks result in this mesh. The manual tells me about displacement bounds and how if I adjust them, that the cracks will go, but what values are these? I've tried 0.1 and 2.0, both in the mesh's properties, and in the render settings, and I see literally no difference in the renders at all, not even a tiny bit.

Here is an old example of what I mean, check the sand. You can see the black cracks for where the polygon mesh edges should be (that is PE btw)

0_1508030396073_PE_current_2016_6xE.jpg

Does anyone know how this works?

Normally I'm not too bothered with this since I just stamp tool the cracks out with photoshop, but I'm working on an animation which will make stamp tooling 100 moving images a bit of a problem! O.o

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis Try zero. Each actor has an inherent individual minimum displacement bound; that render setting is a universal override.

If you specify an overriding minimum displacement bound in the render settings, and your material's displacement exceeds that bound, bits which exceed it are simply not within the bucket, so they are omitted.
    0_1508036683746_displacement_bound.png

• Poser Ambassadors

Humor me. (Because I'm not answering your question as I suspect it's not the right question.) Turn off "Casts shadows" on the ground prop - tell me what happens.

• well, displacement bounds does indeed do jack, even when set to 0 (which is my standard setting btw).

hehe Cast Shadows probably does work yes, but what I found to work too was setting the Shadow Min Bias higher... not the most elegant solution since it messes with the rest of the render too...

cheers guys!

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.