Why did you buy Poser?

• Like @j-naylor73, I didn't buy Poser, at least to begin with. In fact I liked it so much I didn't buy it three times. :)

A friend let me play with a copy of Poser 1 on a magazine cover - on floppy disks. Imagine storing anything at all onto a 1.44MB floppy nowadays. You couldn't fit a single digital camera image or MP3 song on one of those. Imagine that!!

I also got Poser 3 off a magazine cover CD. Poser 4 I won in a competition on a long-dead forum. I didn't actually buy Poser until version 5, and the less said about that, the better. I hasten to add that I also paid for versions 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11. I must be certifiable. :)

• You know, I've paid for every copy of Poser I've ever owned.. except version 10. That was a gift.

• Poser Ambassadors

I use Poser since version 4. I was before a traditional artist. Oil was my fav. Tool, landscapes and still images.
    Till I discover Photoshop. I get addicted to digital art and Photoshop become my new hobby. Till I see on the internet pretty 3D girls . I get really curios and want to know how the people are doing them. So I search and land over Renderosty.
    There I learn that the people use V1-V2 and Poser. I buy me a copy ASAP and V2 with all her stuff what I could get in my fingers.
    Poser becomes my new addiction. Since version 5 I am really heavy addicted. Cloth room, hair room, Material room.

Sure I use now many other Software also. But Poser stay my fav one.

• Wow... Some of you people are old. :) (Like me!)

Keep the testimonials coming! This is interesting stuff, to be sure.

For me, I think P4 was the first one I ever used. (I do remember seeing Poser 1 in a bargain bin, once.) I don't remember how I got it, likely from a mag. I ended up getting Poser 6 after having started 3D modeling with XSI and moving through several other starter programs. I liked the idea of having something that sort of did it all. (Or, so I thought.) Been buying Poser, here and there, ever since.

(Some of the names you guys have dropped bring back a bunch of memories! :) "Kai's Power Tools"? ROFL!)

• @morkonan I used Poser and Bryce before DAZ got their hands on it and killed it dead. :)

• Poser Ambassadors

Discovered Poser1 since it came on a 1.44 demo disk with a magazine.
    Bought Poser2 the very next day, because at the time, there was nothing else that did more or less what it did; "Pose figures relatively easy."

Before that I used to do a lot of photo manipulation, even tried to get some animated gifs going.
    Then Poser2 and 3 and 4 and some time later anim8or, and I was making morphs.
    Poser 5 brought the faceroom and the hair room, and off we went. LOL.
    Due to work situation, I skipped Poser6, (but stayed playing low profile with P5), but got back into this 3D hobby when I bought Poser7 and never missed a release since.

Somewhere along the line, Anim8or got replaced with Blender, and I don't remember how many photo manipulations softwares passed on the different HD's, but it's Krita and Paintshop Pro these days.

PoserPro, Blender and Krita. A hard to beat combination with tons of possibilities and opportunities.

Ha-ha-ha-, still don't know why people sell "poses". That's what Poser is for : "To pose". That's it's purpose.

• @vilters Same reason you can save a pose or anything else to the library.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    Tja, I use the pose dots as temp storage. (9 dots lower left corner) Rarely go poses in the library, because "next" use will always have to be just that bit different. => Those dots are live savers. LOL.

• @vilters I've never used the pose dots. i don't even know how they work. Let me read my manual. :)

• @morkonan said in Why did you buy Poser?:

Wow... Some of you people are old. :) (Like me!)

Oh I wouldn't be surprised if I was older than you. ~wink~

• In the fall of 2004, I was going through a software catalog, looking for software for the office (Project Management). And there was little 1/5 page listing for Poser 5.

I write stories, and I figured this would help me visualize my scenes. Now I use Poser to write graphic novels (badly).

I ordered a copy for Xmas, and that was the end of every other hobby I had. I did not let my 1st render deter me (I rendered a scene with the lights turned off.).

After going through the various rooms in Poser, I realized that my maxed out PowerMac G3 needed replacing. Poser 6 led me to replacing my PowerMac G4. Poser 7 led me to replacing my PowerMac G5. Poser Pro 2010 led me to replacing my 1st Gen Mac Pro. (Software caught up to the hardware.) And if it wasn't for those damned crypto-miners, I'd be stuffing a Nvidia 8Gb 1070 in my 5,1 Mac Pro.

• When I decided to buy Poser back in the day (2004? Poser Artist?) , DS was free but just a beta, Blender and MakeHuman were probably more like alphas; and who wants to fork out $$$$ for other 3D software which may be too complicated to learn anyway.

There was Quidam by N-Sided, another human figure software, but it vanished.

• I first bought Poser4 with the ProPack add-on in 2001. At that time, there was nothing like that. Actually beside DAZ Studio and maybe iclone, there still isn't anything similar out there yet. So I updated allmost to every version, putting my hopes into new features. Three features, I like most are the cloth room, the morph brush and the dependecy editor.

• First was Poser4, on a demo/free disk... Then nothing... Then DS+Reality...Then I bought Poser9 because of Dawn and some morphs available only for Poser... Then 10/2012Pro because of Bullet (grrr!!)and 64bit.

• @eclark1849 said in Why did you buy Poser?:

@vilters I've never used the pose dots. i don't even know how they work. Let me read my manual. :)

Me either. Once I found out they couldn't be used to quickly access "Poses", I never bothered with them.

@Miss-B said in Why did you buy Poser?:

@morkonan said in Why did you buy Poser?:

Wow... Some of you people are old. :) (Like me!)

Oh I wouldn't be surprised if I was older than you. ~wink~

Maybe. There are a lot of people older than I. :) And, since Poser has been around for a long time, there's a chance some of them are fans, too.

I am closer to 100 than... not. :)

• Hey everyone! I'm part of the graphics team at Smith Micro. I've loved reading everyone's stories on how they got started in Poser.

Would anyone be willing to share their story with me? I'd love to share them with new users and post them online. If you're interested at all or have questions, please feel free to message me here.

Cheers!

• Poser Ambassadors

@anniespewak Feel free to tell my story :)

• @vilters said in Why did you buy Poser?:

Discovered Poser1 since it came on a 1.44 demo disk with a magazine.
    Bought Poser2 the very next day, because at the time, there was nothing else that did more or less what it did; "Pose figures relatively easy."

Before that I used to do a lot of photo manipulation, even tried to get some animated gifs going.
    Then Poser2 and 3 and 4 and some time later anim8or, and I was making morphs.
    Poser 5 brought the faceroom and the hair room, and off we went. LOL.
    Due to work situation, I skipped Poser6, (but stayed playing low profile with P5), but got back into this 3D hobby when I bought Poser7 and never missed a release since.

Somewhere along the line, Anim8or got replaced with Blender, and I don't remember how many photo manipulations softwares passed on the different HD's, but it's Krita and Paintshop Pro these days.

PoserPro, Blender and Krita. A hard to beat combination with tons of possibilities and opportunities.

Ha-ha-ha-, still don't know why people sell "poses". That's what Poser is for : "To pose". That's it's purpose.

20 years ago when I was first starting with Poser and as I keep telling over and over, I originally bought Poser to help me create a storyboard for a screenplay I was writing at the time. DAZ didn't exist at that time. I don't think Renderosity did either, but maybe it did. I didn't actually join them until like 2004. A lot of the stuff that people take for granted now, weren't around then, including the forums that are here now, like this one. But we did have USENET. So I'm telling all this to make a point. I couldn't find a lot of the stuff that we take for granted now and yes, that includes poses. The only one's i had then were the ones that came with Poser, or that I could create on my own and save to the library. I got rather good at it actually ... over time. My point though was that I got into Poser for one thing, but i didn't have the assets at the time to take advantage of it Heck if I had just had more poses to work with I'd have been better off. I gave up on the animation part and just went with still rendering. Canned poses save you time Tony. I still had to tweak and adjust, as I still do now, but it still saves me time so I can concentrate on other things. I didn't model back then, but I do now. But a lot of the things that I use keep me from having to make those models from scratch. It saves me time. I could learn to animate instead of using pose sets or bvh files, or even the Walk designer, but I don't have to start from scratch every time I want to start a new project. So that's why people sell poses Tony. Because there's a market for them.

• @anniespewak My story is simple, but might sound familiar. I have allways scetched people. As superhero comics or pin ups. When I saw friends playing ego- shooter, I wondered, why not having a 3d doll? I thought about those wooden dolls, that artists use as models. My friends all recommended Poser. Funny though: I read later an open essay by Larry Weinberg about his Poser invention. Felt good to know, that he had the same ideas about having a digital Mannequin as I had. The only differences, he was earlier and did it, I didn't. Haha.

• @masterstroke Funny you should mention that story.Masterstroke. I actually went to my local art shop and bought one of those mannequins just before i discovered Poser. I used to keep it here in my room, but i got sick recently, congested heart failure, and I think my family threw it out while I was in the hospital recovering.

P>S> Just found it in a box in the storage room and returned it to it's rightful place beside my computer. :)