Why did you buy Poser?

• When I decided to buy Poser back in the day (2004? Poser Artist?) , DS was free but just a beta, Blender and MakeHuman were probably more like alphas; and who wants to fork out $$$$ for other 3D software which may be too complicated to learn anyway.

There was Quidam by N-Sided, another human figure software, but it vanished.

• I first bought Poser4 with the ProPack add-on in 2001. At that time, there was nothing like that. Actually beside DAZ Studio and maybe iclone, there still isn't anything similar out there yet. So I updated allmost to every version, putting my hopes into new features. Three features, I like most are the cloth room, the morph brush and the dependecy editor.

• First was Poser4, on a demo/free disk... Then nothing... Then DS+Reality...Then I bought Poser9 because of Dawn and some morphs available only for Poser... Then 10/2012Pro because of Bullet (grrr!!)and 64bit.

• @eclark1849 said in Why did you buy Poser?:

@vilters I've never used the pose dots. i don't even know how they work. Let me read my manual. :)

Me either. Once I found out they couldn't be used to quickly access "Poses", I never bothered with them.

@Miss-B said in Why did you buy Poser?:

@morkonan said in Why did you buy Poser?:

Wow... Some of you people are old. :) (Like me!)

Oh I wouldn't be surprised if I was older than you. ~wink~

Maybe. There are a lot of people older than I. :) And, since Poser has been around for a long time, there's a chance some of them are fans, too.

I am closer to 100 than... not. :)

• Hey everyone! I'm part of the graphics team at Smith Micro. I've loved reading everyone's stories on how they got started in Poser.

Would anyone be willing to share their story with me? I'd love to share them with new users and post them online. If you're interested at all or have questions, please feel free to message me here.

Cheers!

• Poser Ambassadors

@anniespewak Feel free to tell my story :)

• @vilters said in Why did you buy Poser?:

Discovered Poser1 since it came on a 1.44 demo disk with a magazine.
    Bought Poser2 the very next day, because at the time, there was nothing else that did more or less what it did; "Pose figures relatively easy."

Before that I used to do a lot of photo manipulation, even tried to get some animated gifs going.
    Then Poser2 and 3 and 4 and some time later anim8or, and I was making morphs.
    Poser 5 brought the faceroom and the hair room, and off we went. LOL.
    Due to work situation, I skipped Poser6, (but stayed playing low profile with P5), but got back into this 3D hobby when I bought Poser7 and never missed a release since.

Somewhere along the line, Anim8or got replaced with Blender, and I don't remember how many photo manipulations softwares passed on the different HD's, but it's Krita and Paintshop Pro these days.

PoserPro, Blender and Krita. A hard to beat combination with tons of possibilities and opportunities.

Ha-ha-ha-, still don't know why people sell "poses". That's what Poser is for : "To pose". That's it's purpose.

20 years ago when I was first starting with Poser and as I keep telling over and over, I originally bought Poser to help me create a storyboard for a screenplay I was writing at the time. DAZ didn't exist at that time. I don't think Renderosity did either, but maybe it did. I didn't actually join them until like 2004. A lot of the stuff that people take for granted now, weren't around then, including the forums that are here now, like this one. But we did have USENET. So I'm telling all this to make a point. I couldn't find a lot of the stuff that we take for granted now and yes, that includes poses. The only one's i had then were the ones that came with Poser, or that I could create on my own and save to the library. I got rather good at it actually ... over time. My point though was that I got into Poser for one thing, but i didn't have the assets at the time to take advantage of it Heck if I had just had more poses to work with I'd have been better off. I gave up on the animation part and just went with still rendering. Canned poses save you time Tony. I still had to tweak and adjust, as I still do now, but it still saves me time so I can concentrate on other things. I didn't model back then, but I do now. But a lot of the things that I use keep me from having to make those models from scratch. It saves me time. I could learn to animate instead of using pose sets or bvh files, or even the Walk designer, but I don't have to start from scratch every time I want to start a new project. So that's why people sell poses Tony. Because there's a market for them.

• @anniespewak My story is simple, but might sound familiar. I have allways scetched people. As superhero comics or pin ups. When I saw friends playing ego- shooter, I wondered, why not having a 3d doll? I thought about those wooden dolls, that artists use as models. My friends all recommended Poser. Funny though: I read later an open essay by Larry Weinberg about his Poser invention. Felt good to know, that he had the same ideas about having a digital Mannequin as I had. The only differences, he was earlier and did it, I didn't. Haha.

• @masterstroke Funny you should mention that story.Masterstroke. I actually went to my local art shop and bought one of those mannequins just before i discovered Poser. I used to keep it here in my room, but i got sick recently, congested heart failure, and I think my family threw it out while I was in the hospital recovering.

P>S> Just found it in a box in the storage room and returned it to it's rightful place beside my computer. :)

• @morkonan said in Why did you buy Poser?:

I am closer to 100 than... not. :)

Me too. ~she whispers~

• Like master stroke, I bought P4 for posing (I, too, still have my wood doll) to help my drawing. Then I realized I could do comics with the program without becoming a great drawer. I enjoy the act of creating and don’t really care whether anybody else sees them or likes them. It’s my substitute for writing fiction, which my high school English teacher wisely said I was lousy at, but I could write non-fiction with talent. So I publish non-fiction, and I enjoy the art of Poser.

• Just recently I watched this amazing animation:

After watching it i wonder what software he used: There was blender, photoshop and this never seen name "poser"
    I already set my mind to become 3d character artist so soon as i googled what poser is i got hooked. Been using it for 4-5 days maybe? and i love how everything is pre rigged and its almost like character creation screen from my favorite games! Simple and effective! I mean its complicated but compared to zbrush or maya its more new user friendly. Lets see what this new journey takes me.

• Poser Ambassadors

While I am pretty good in Painting Landscapes , Still images, Flower etc...I really sucks with animals and human shape.
    I try hard to learn it, but honestly my results was pretty embarrassing .
    Poser give me later the possibility to crowd my Digital landscapes with human, animals.

• Why did I buy Poser? I don't know. Her name was Victoria something. She wanted me to call her Vicky 4. I don't know what that meant, and truth is, I didn't really care. I was drunk off my ass. She had invited me back to her crib. The broad must have been loaded! More than I was. She had all this stuff just sitting around her house, TVs, laptops, you name it she had at least one or two of them. And she showed me her garage full of cars, motorcycles, and even spaceships! Then she led me to her living room and excused herself. She came back a moment later wearing one of the sluttiest outfits I'd ever seen on a woman. And honest to god, her boobs had expanded to the size of basketballs. She giggled, as I picked my jaw up from the floor, then excused herself again. When she came back, I swear she was wearing an outfit that was ten times sluttier than the first one! I guess i was hooked right then. I rushed out and bought a copy of Poser version 4 and I haven't looked back since.

• Character animation has been my passion since day one.
    But building and rigging them is too technically difficult... Poser took care of that problem in style.

• @vilters said in Why did you buy Poser?:

Ha-ha-ha-, still don't know why people sell "poses". That's what Poser is for : "To pose". That's it's purpose.

I didn't want to say that, because people make a living out of it, but I always wondered why anyone would buy a pose. Just pose the toon... it's not that difficult. It's the funniest part in Poser.

Now, if someone would sell a pose set with say 10 actions done by a ballet dancer, with say 8 poses for each movement, and then some 2 intermediate poses to transition between actions, now that would be interesting if well done, as hopefully it would help one create his own ballet pieces with fluid movements and fluid transitions. Unfortunately we'd be talking something like 80 + 180 = 260 poses, so that's a hefty package!

• @fbs7 said in Why did you buy Poser?:

@vilters said in Why did you buy Poser?:

I didn't want to say that, because people make a living out of it, but I always wondered why anyone would buy a pose. Just pose the toon... it's not that difficult. It's the funniest part in Poser.

It's a lot easier, to load a pose then to pose a character (2 clicks vs. 100-200)... even if it's just a starting point.
    Pre-made hand poses, for example, are a blessing when it comes to animation where the hands are constantly expressing stuff.

• @krios said in Why did you buy Poser?:

@fbs7 said in Why did you buy Poser?:

It's a lot easier, to load a pose then to pose a character (2 clicks vs. 100-200)... even if it's just a starting point.
    Pre-made hand poses, for example, are a blessing when it comes to animation where the hands are constantly expressing stuff.

^---- This x 5. :)

For instance, there's only two things I ever really consider purchasing - Hair models, 'cause I find them hair-pullingly-frustrating to make myself, and "poses", because a good pose can be an interesting starting point for a render. I only ever buy these products from vendors that I KNOW do good work. And, if I can't see a good representation of the product, I will never buy it. That means either a shaded wire render of the hair model, itself (Or at least something more darn informative than "Look how awesome I am at changing HSV values in Photoshop I amz! PLZ BUY AM HUNGRY!") or a good card series of the various renders of the included poses.

• @krios said in Why did you buy Poser?:

@fbs7 said in Why did you buy Poser?:

Correct, but I can pose a toon anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes (that's just a memory guess), so why would one spend 10 minutes buying one pose when they can pose it and save to the library in 5 minutes?

I understand buying a package with a lot of poses, I just don't get the concept of buying one particular pose.

• @fbs7 I didn't even know they sold poses for toons.