How would you Promote Poser?

• How creative are you? Put together an advertisement to get someone to buy Poser.

• Why ?

I mean, the advertising for POSER 11 really sucked pushing one of the worst figures ever created. Wait until Project E is out - then lets show what Superfly and decent figure can do.

• @qazart Don't limit yourself. That's one of the problems with SM. I can think of lots of scenes to create in Poser that wouldn't even require a figure.

• No Poser cannot compete with the likes of Vue or Blender when it comes to scenery. The hint is in the title P-O-S-E-R - character manipulation. Poser needs a decent character or its worthless.

• @qazart Wow, it's a shame you think that.

• @qazart Wow, talk about putting responsibility on Erogenesis! It's not his responsibility to "save" Poser, nor be responsible for Poser's advertising.

Besides, there are plenty of really good figures out already that will suffice to advertise Poser and send Pauline to the dustbin of history. Not to mention the figures already in development like Ali's Bella and Shane's Venus and Orion.

But, don't put all this on Project E. She'll be another figure we can use in Poser - nothing more, nothing less.

• @qazart said in How would you Promote Poser?:

No Poser cannot compete with the likes of Vue or Blender when it comes to scenery. The hint is in the title P-O-S-E-R - character manipulation. Poser needs a decent character or its worthless.

I think some of the best renders ever produced in Poser didn't have a single character in it. Have you seen the one Ero did with the guns, bullets and money? Beautiful. Not a figure in sight.

• Yes, I can see it now already:

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buy the all new Poser now!

The only 3D program where buggy program features meet buggy figures!

There's really sooo much you can do in Poser:

• While away your time with working around the many, matured-over-years flaws and bugs in Poser.
    • Have a field day in making ugly figures look halfway decent, and gain experience by fixing errors in their .cr2 figure files!
    • Exercise your analytic skills in writing error reports and improve your ZEN because no one will ever care!
    • Learn to understand that a new version with more buggy features and still unfixed old bugs is indeed a great step ahead to even more bugs in the upcoming service releases! This will raise your understanding of "good software" to a new level you never imagined before!
    • Enjoy your drink because sometimes a large glass of Vodka is the only way to stop you from throwing your computer out of the window...

POSER - the "all in one" solution to test your temper!

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(if you find traces of sarcasm in this ad you may save it to your local storage)

Karina

P.S.:
    I'm a bloody "Poser-or-bust" user who even refuses to build morphs or props in any other third-party program: Except for UV mapping I do EVERYTHING in Poser!
    (even "SASHA-16" was created in Poser only)
    What's the definition of "fanboy"? :D

But sometimes, when I look at SM's "marketing", I just can't help but to write a rant like this one.
    Sorry for that if it offended you...

P.P.S.:
    @Glitterati3D:
    I can't see where @qazart put any responsibility for whatever upon @Erogenesis. @qazart just mentioned PE as an option.
    By the same logic I could say you make Ali or Shane responsible for Poser's future because you mentioned Bella, Venus, Orion.
    Please don't reply to this P.P.S. because I won't discuss it any more in order to not derail this thread. Thank you! :)

• @karina I don't care whether you respond or not. The difference between my response and his was simply this.........I didn't start with "Wait for Project E......"

There's no need to wait for anything as there are plenty of figures out that create beautiful renders right now. In addition, there are many more in the pipeline.

• Well I've been looking at the best 3D pictures on deviantart.
    Cinema4D, 3DStudio Max, Vue. Zbrush Maya.

I'm not seeing a lot of Poser. If you want to sell Poser it MUST be around a decent figure.

• @qazart Funny, you didn't mention Daz Studio either. What's the matter? Don't they have a decent figure to use?

• @qazart how many of these renders have a stock figure in it?

• Daz Studio can't compete with scenery renders either. Sure as heck can with characters - female.
    By the way one of the highest Favorited Poser only renders in the last month is MINE.

• @eclark1849 said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@qazart Funny, you didn't mention Daz Studio either. What's the matter? Don't they have a decent figure to use?

No they don't because their G thing won't work without a lot of extra hoops outside of the DAZ "Walled Garden".

Besides that no 3D artist with an "attitude" would ever concede that he uses "playdough" content like from Poser or DAZ. That would outlaw him from the "community" of "serious" 3D creators who create every cubic prop from the ground off. :P

@phdubrov said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@qazart how many of these renders have a stock figure in it?

Using stock figures is a big "no-no" in these eclectic circles, so it's not a real comparison. IMO, those "eclectic artists" are just morons. :o

So those morons are irrelevant for Poser advertising anyway.
    They'll never admit that they use prefabricated stuff.
    Elitists...

Poser's strength is that there is PLENTY of prefabricated stuff available to make setting up a scene and creating characters a matter of hours, not days or months.

This should be emphasized in every promo for Poser!

Karina

• Poser Ambassadors

@qazart You are so wrong. I use Poser mainly for Landscape or still images. Characters are mostly only deco's in my scene.

• @karina Personally, I think too many people in THIS community pay too much heed to what people in OTHER communities think of them. I use Poser to tell a story. not try and court favor from people who don't even like me.

• You're right there Earl:

I don't care for DAZ in any way since they decided to break Poser compatibility.
    It became irrelevant to me because I can't use it. So DAZ's web site is deleted from my favourites for some years already.

I also do renders only for my own pleasure and rarely share them anywhere.
    And I don't give a flying fart about what people think about those few renders I do share - I guess we think alike here!

I just had to vent some thoughts which accumulated during time...

Karina

• Poser Ambassadors

@karina LOL,

Besides that no 3D artist with an "attitude" would ever concede that he uses "playdough" content like from Poser or DAZ. That would outlaw him from the "community" of "serious" 3D creators who create every cubic prop from the ground off. :P

Using stock figures is a big "no-no" in these eclectic circles, so it's not a real comparison. IMO, those "eclectic artists" are just morons. :o

I tell this to my Partner/husband also. he belongs to this "Elite Circle" which model everything what he need for a render from a cube and nothing else.
    He use to say, we are just playing around.
    Well we know better ;)

• Poser Ambassadors

@ earl

Promote Poser. => Mmm, that's a hard one. => How do you tell somebody to shake hands? Mmmm.

OK, here some factual information.

SM's has 2 weak points; One being the technical quality of the included content (see below), and the other being advertisement.

=> Just a simple example: SR7 has been out for some time, but their main Poser site is still at SR6. Ja? Got it? Does the bell ring? Did you wake up? End users that do not follow forums, or have friends that do, or doves that tell them, will never find out about SR7. See the point?

Every New Poser version, and EVERY Service Release should come out screaming at Mach2, with all the lights, bells and fireworks required to get all zombies to rise out from behind their gravestones. But, no, God only knows why. . . . But they don't because they cannot.

=> The technical quality of the included content is surely due to the understaffing of the content department.
    With the departure of Darrel, they went from 2.5 content creators, to 1.5.
    Teyon was the last (and only) full time, and Dee the last part time (the other time she spend writing and maintaining the excellent 1.000+ page manual.)

SM, right or wrong, put most effort into the app, but at release time had only partially finished and buggy content to show off with. Content departments only left over: (Teyon) simply ran out of time as he had to do it all on his own.

Hence; almost no promo because there was nothing error free and high technical quality to promo with.

Euh => Just double checked; SM's main site is still at SR6.
    So? ? ? Point made.

• For her price, Poser is amazing. Stupidly amazing. Why?

In all her amateurishness, she exposes a lot of the treasures of CGI to broke-ass artists and hobbyists like us, with potentially amazing results. All you need is the determination. All the math is there, the options are there, the renderer is there, both Firefly and Superfly, and much like with painting with oils and acrylic, or making a photo with a digital SLR, you do need to know your stuff. IF you do, Poser will be friendly to you.

***=NSFW content***

click to show

What I like about Poser is that its so accessible and open, and while not perfect (sometimes annoyingly so) I don't think you can get anything as easy as Poser to facilitate your inner psuedo-photographer... which is basically what CGI is, virtual-photography.

I checked out Maya, Max, C4D, and I've know Max since 2001, and I am not kidding when I say that Pauline might be more advanced than some of the best rigs they have on sale. There are some really good rigs available off course, for lightwave and Modo and Houdini, some that make the uncanny valley their bitch, but they're usually about the same price as Poser itself is... and that's just a little bit too much for small-time artist like us! We're not Pixar Studios are we now? I dare you to try make a figure like Pauline in any of those apps. The learning curve alone will expose your lack of Edmund Hillary-ness without effort.

But that doesn't mean we have to setting for crap. DAZ are proving that, yet somehow a lot of people are a bit uncomfortable with 'The One Figure To Rule Them All' and we don't want to submit ourselves to their furor, do we? It goes against the principles of artistic expression, freedom of speech, that valuable ideal that many brave men died for on the beaches of Normandy way back when, that ideal that seems strangely under threat today.

Poser seems to plod along quite peacefully, perhaps a little awkwardly, in the face of aggressive ambition and eager commerce. But yeah, there is much room for improvement, and I am sure SM are thoroughly aware of this by now. You don't kick out an entire department for nothing.

Since 2012, Poser has allowed me to do just about anything that I wanted. From creating an extremely complex JCM system for V4, loading up the relevant vaginal openings relevant to the angle of the thighs, something which was unheard of in that time (and probably still today), shocking my fans and colleagues with most complex scenes for my comics with hundreds of figures in them, and yet just running Poser on humble gaming computers... I can also solve just about all my problems with Poser's own scripting conduit, which even leaves me stunned at times! If you have the time, and patience, teach yourself python scripting. A world opens for you!

I have lived in Malawi, often twiddled my thumbs, sketching the polygons of Project E on a paper notepad while waiting for the power to return. Between then and now I've made 5 different Poser figures, not including my version of V4, and my latest comic figure which just entered her 95th iteration. But all the while I was making a figure for the artists that prefer Poser for their art. Many have given up in the meanwhile, I was close to it too, but I came to my senses. I prefer freedom, I want to call the shots. Poser, no matter how quirky, allows me to do that. Still if it wasn't for Poser, despite all its issues, I would have never been able to make this crazy figure I am making now....