How would you Promote Poser?

• @Glitterati3D said in How would you Promote Poser?:

Her right ankle. There's no sock where the shoes meets the sock.

Can't say I can see it. I think @kalypso is right, its part of the shoe. It wouldn't have surprised me though, poke-throughs are sneaky buggers.

@kalypso said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@erogenesis I've always liked this image for it's lighting and that's when I dared to increase my sunlight to even 200% and it made a huge difference!

Hehehe thanks k. Would you believe that I have it at 400% there?

@AmbientShade said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@erogenesis Adobe already has Director 3D

lol they do? I thought I had googled that name back then, apparently not well enough. But yeah like I said, 'Poser' is just fine. It was just something I thought up a year ago.

• @Glitterati3D
    I'm missing something here. Morkonan is talking about Content Paradise, right? If so, that's part of SM as well, not another company.

• @Deecey No, he's talking about outside SM as well. Read carefully.

And, even if you leave out the vendors scattered about, SM doesn't even follow conventions. The object files aren't saved in the Geometries folder, clothing as props, etc., etc., etc.

But they also have no business telling someone like Renderosity how to run their business.

• @erogenesis You may be right, but with the blowout on her ankle, it's hard to tell. I presumed I was seeing ankle flesh there. That's what it looks like to me.

• @Glitterati3D
    Guess I didn't go back far enough. These threads are hard to follow LOL

• Poser Ambassadors

@Deecey
    Tja, the pro-and cons of a very active forum. Lots to read and follow up. LOL.

@ Tracy
    Mmmm, the requirement to have obj files in a Geometry folder, and textures in a Texture folder ended some 10 years ago.
    Most, myself included like to have obj, cr2, and textures together.

Some content sites still have this old (and dare I say obsolete) requirement, but Poser moved on to a more open structure, and it's better this way.

Now you can grab a USB stick, copy you clothing, building or prop in a single go, and move to the next PC without having to wade and search to find all the files in all different subfolders.

At the time, it was one of the big improvement to let go of this subfolder system.

And:
    if Poser is searching for a certain file? It always starts in its native folder where the item is loaded from anyway.
    Only then does it move downwards to the subfolders like Geometries, Textures and so on. => Speed improvement gained also.

• @vilters said in How would you Promote Poser?:

Some content sites still have this old (and dare I say obsolete) requirement, but Poser moved on to a more open structure, and it's better this way.

That is true, but one of the reasons I still keep the OBJ file in the Geometries folder is to keep it safe from being overwritten "by accident" when exporting from Poser. 8-)

• @eclark1849 said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@krios Don't care what you call Maya, I don't own it, or use it, and I'm not interested in promoting it.

Rest assured Earl I ain't promoting anything over Poser, but we do have to be open minded and realize that as professional Poser artists we need to have and master other tools in our tool box for things like modeling and VFX: Maya, Blender, Cinema 4D... ect.
    Personally, I use Maya for all my modeling needs, and must outsource VFX coz it's too much to learn that on top of animation.

Soooo... back to promoting Poser...

As we all know, Poser is a specialty tool, specializing in animation. Maya, Blender, Max, might be an all-in-one package, but it also requires a steep learning curve as Ero pointed out. So the promotion would have to revolve around the ease of use for animation which is an extremely complex skill to master, without having to worry about the software's GUI and 1000's of options as well.

This is where Poser shines: simple software = ease of use = fast production!
    Get this point across in a promotional campaign and you might have a leg to stand on.

• @krios said in How would you Promote Poser?:

This is where Poser shines: simple software = ease of use = fast production!

word

• @krios said in How would you Promote Poser?:

est assured Earl I ain't promoting anything over Poser, but we do have to be open minded and realize that as professional Poser artists we need to have and master other tools in our tool box for things like modeling and VFX: Maya, Blender, Cinema 4D... ect.

Indeed, which is why PoserPro comes with PoserFusion versions to interface with 3DSMax, Maya, LightWave, and Cinema4D.

• @eclark1849 @Deecey @krios you could also put it this way, the content needs to come from somewhere, so either from some content store, or these apps like Maya, Max, Lightwave, blender etc... or both, of course (like in my case). So either way, Poser will need some kind of intimate relationship with the content source, whatever it is. Whether it is converting it, or Poser-dedicated content, promoting Poser will indeed have to include some kind of guarantee that this pipeline works to the benefit of the user.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Deecey said in How would you Promote Poser?:

That is true, but one of the reasons I still keep the OBJ file in the Geometries folder is to keep it safe from being overwritten "by accident" when exporting from Poser. 8-)

That is why I always keep a *.blend file from my obj files.
    To recover the original if that "overwriting accident" happens. LOL.

• @vilters said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@Deecey said in How would you Promote Poser?:

That is why I always keep a *.blend file from my obj files.
    To recover the original if that "overwriting accident" happens. LOL.

Most of us don't use Blender vilters, which is why a lot of us prefer the .obj in a separate Geometries folder. Functionally, you are doing the exact same thing.

• @Glitterati3D said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@morkonan That's crazy, though. You're asking a company to interfere in another's company's livelihood and not only is that silly in THIS market (from a company that exerts no quality control over it's own store) but in any market.

A comparison would be Microsoft exerting control over Nvidia because their cards go inside a MS based operating system.

Or, a more appropriate comparison would be Microsoft changing its operating system to no longer support Nvidia because Nvidia and Microsoft couldn't agree on certain terms.

Or, perhaps, a company decides that it will change its standards so that a rival company's product is no longer supported.

In extremis, SM could, if they wished, lock out all content for Poser, tell anyone who wanted to make Poser-compatible products that they would have to buy a developer license, and that would be that, no matter how many other businesses rely on selling Poser products. That would be suicide, of course.

Companies "interfere in another company's lifelihood" all the time, every day, every hour. No companies in an open and competitive market are free of being impacted by the actions of another company, so long as those actions are "legal."

Smart companies, however, also help other companies and partner, formally or not, in order to improve products and services so that both benefit. This is what I am suggesting that SM can do, both with current content producers and with online retailers of Poser-compatible products.

If you don't think that Microsoft and Nvidia talk to each other and neither bother with negotiating with the other over new operating system standards... Seriously? This sort of cooperative effort to improve product and service quality is commonplace among businesses that have complimentary products. It's rampant. It's simply "good business" sense. And, when such companies come to an impasse? Then the effort is no longer "cooperative."

"Content" is the market-defining segment of the Operating System of 3D Hobbyists.

Poser is "Netscape" that has a dominant market share.

Microsoft is DAZ3D.

And, without further action, history takes over. Simple, easy to understand, it's already happening and it's a primary subject of conversation, just like Netscape's last box on the shelf...

• Poser Ambassadors

@morkonan Yep, the market usually clean itself. What is outdated, not user friendly , bad quality,etc disappear sooner or later. When your reputation is down, to get it back is almost impossible.
    I just watch Firefox's slowly dying . Will go the same way like Netscape. (And I use over 1 year ago only Firefox btw. Now not anymore).And this happens to all companies who miss the wind of change.

• @Ladonna said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@morkonan Yep, the market usually clean itself. What is outdated, not user friendly , bad quality,etc disappear sooner or later. When your reputation is down, to get it back is almost impossible.
    I just watch Firefox's slowly dying . Will go the same way like Netscape. (And I use over 1 year ago only Firefox btw. Now not anymore).And this happens to all companies who miss the wind of change.

I call it being lazy or being "fat, dumb, and happy." :)

I call the opposite business attitude of that being "hungry." Successful businesses stay "hungry."

Firefox isn't dying, really. It's simply experiencing "growing pains" in an increasingly competitive market. The latest iterations are a stumbling block it has to overcome in order to pursue new technological developments and to gain a foothold in what it perceives is the most advantageous market/tech.

In a month or so, the newer iteration should be out and plugin creators should be able to catch up. In a few more months, Firefox "should" be back on top, relatively speaking.

It's worth noting that Firefox's market is largely becoming more computer and net savvy. This opens up the opportunity for adventurous users to explore more esoteric or little-used browsers and is a boon to those creators.

In short: Firefox lured people away from the "Explorer Comfort Zone" and snapped up the Netscape customer base. What result did that have? It burst the market wide-open for competing browsers.

This sort of thing happens all of the time. Coca-Cola created its own competition by opening up a market for soda manufacturers by successfully creating a drink that people demanded in large quantities. "New Markets" that are stable will always "mature" in a competitive market system.

• Hi all. Can someone share about about poser 2018.. Any update so far?

• @momogun Probably won't hear anything about that until it's almost time for release. And I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that it will NOT be called Poser 2018, but more likely Poser 12.

• @morkonan said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@Ladonna said in How would you Promote Poser?:

In short: Firefox lured people away from the "Explorer Comfort Zone" and snapped up the Netscape customer base. What result did that have? It burst the market wide-open for competing browsers.

This sort of thing happens all of the time. Coca-Cola created its own competition by opening up a market for soda manufacturers by successfully creating a drink that people demanded in large quantities. "New Markets" that are stable will always "mature" in a competitive market system.

Umm, you guys DO know that Firefox is made by Mozilla, the same company that made Netscape in the first place, right?

• @eclark1849 said in How would you Promote Poser?:..

Umm, you guys DO know that Firefox is made by Mozilla, the same company that made Netscape in the first place, right?

Absolutely. But, it's a different product and an entirely different business model. The "browser wars" were also a different environment. Netscape "lost" and Explorer won. At least, for a time. "Firefox" offered that "certain something" that Explorer couldn't match... One huge draw was not only performance, but it "wasn't Micro$oft." :)