How would you Promote Poser?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    Sorry Earl, but we are on a different frequency. LOL.

Poser and it's new team can make it the most advanced, technical highlight of the century.

SM still needs 2 more things;

• Advertise it
    • Deliver the content at the same high quality level as the app.

After all, even in the best of the best app, you need something "equal or better" to pose and show off its new features.

As stated above:

• There are some great figures in the making, and we are all exited to see them succeed being Poser11 and 10 compatible. I am sure Ero is pulling the last possible python string in PP11 to get the best figure possible.

• Poser12 has to bring some NEW, and WHAW, and ; "Oh, my God, I am in Love at first sight", figures to demo the new options and possibilities.

• @vilters You're right Tony. We do disagree. I don't think I'v ever even loaded Pauline or Paul, but I'm still using Poser features and all. What features am I missing without them?

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters said in How would you Promote Poser?:

End users that do not follow forums, or have friends that do, or doves that tell them, will never find out about SR7. See the point?

Poser has a built-in notification system that tells you when an update is available, so you don't have to keep up with website activities to find out.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in How would you Promote Poser?:

No where does it say that Poser makes 3D content. Yes, it includes some 3D content, but the main feature here is what Poser allows you to DO with that content; ANIMATE and RENDER.

Poser doesn't have poly modeling tools, but modeling is just one aspect of content creation. Poser does have morph creation tools, rigging tools, an entire room for creating material shaders, dynamics and hair, etc. All of that is content, and every time any of those features get updated there should be new content added to the library to showcase those features. A 3D package that doesn't have a dedicated content team is rather odd. Even software companies that don't sell content still have in-house content artists whose job is to show off the latest features with the content they create using them. Relying entirely on the end user community to showcase new features results in a mixed bag spanning a full gamut of skillsets and often leaves new features completely untouched since they don't know how to use them, or even that they exist. So it becomes a scavenger hunt - not the greatest approach for marketing.

• @AmbientShade I think where SM fails on your points, Shane, is with particular attention to new or improved tools within Poser.

A lot of time, new users or even experienced users with a new version, tend to dismiss discussions about features until the time comes that they need to use them. By then, the forum/community discussions and tips are gone and the user just becomes frustrated with not being able to find documentation about a feature they need to use.

It's one of the things Chuck (Nerd3D) did really well with his Poser videos. He kept the users informed with a handy, viable resource that shows us all how to use these features as we develop the skills to utilize them.

How many times have we all responded to a "wish list" comment with "Poser already does that" and point them to some thread or video to help them use the feature they didn't even know existed?

• The best way to promote Poser would be to deep six this forum. The amount of negative posts does nothing to showcase anything good about Poser.

• "Want to create photoreal scenes on a budget?
    Want to easily create scenes with clothed or naked figures in just a few clicks rather than wasting weeks to realise your vision?
    Don’t want to waste days modelling and rigging figures each time you want to create an illustration or piece of art?
    Want single–click access to literally millions of fully textured, off the shelf figures, clothing items, props, plants, backgrounds and sets?
    Want features that are traditionally found in programs costing thousands of pounds such as hair and cloth simulations, physically based materials, node-based textures (including advanced maths nodes), bullet physics, and face building?
    Do you want to easily reshape ready made figures into the physiques that YOU desire?
    Want to animate using traditional pro animation tools, or import ready made animations?
    Want the flexibility to interact with the 3D industry’s biggest names including 3D Studio Max, Maya, Vue, Cinema 4D and Zbrush?
    Above all, do you want to have FUN creating masterful 3D scenes in hours rather than weeks?
    Only one program does it all. And for less than a cup of coffee a day for six months.
    Poser – the world’s first fully-featured figure animation program, and still the best by a mile!"

I dunno why everything is measured in cups of coffee but I didn't want to break with tradition! ;-)

• @eclark1849 said in How would you Promote Poser?:
    You're right Tony. We do disagree. I don't think I'v ever even loaded Pauline or Paul, but I'm still using Poser features and all. What features am I missing without them?

The Poser figures demonstrated the new tech that was in the version of Poser they were bundled with. Capsule rigging, weight-mapping, subdivision, and control surfaces, just to name a few features over the years.

You should try Paul & Pauline out. I am steadily retiring V4/M4 characters in my stories and a Dawn/Dusk/Pauline/Paul quartet do a nice job.

Need realistically sized and proportioned figures? You are using Poser figures, because the competition doesn't make them.

It's why we see Poser figures in the real world - in advertising, on TV, at the supermarket, on every American Airlines aircraft, etc.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glitterati3D said in How would you Promote Poser?:

It's one of the things Chuck (Nerd3D) did really well with his Poser videos. He kept the users informed with a handy, viable resource that shows us all how to use these features as we develop the skills to utilize them.

Yes, SM does have a rather long playlist all about Poser on their YouTube channel which has been an invaluable source for me learning various features going back to Pro 2012 release (which was when I came back to Poser from 7, and it all seemed different). I've linked to various videos several times myself. Chuck wasn't the only one doing them, tho he did do several. Cooper did a lot of webinars. For a while there it was a consistent thing.

But even with that a lot of people just don't like to watch videos.

• @AmbientShade said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@Glitterati3D said in How would you Promote Poser?:

But even with that a lot of people just don't like to watch videos.

That is because it is the least effective method of teaching someone if you want to retain what is being taught.

Video learning is pushed because it is easy to make, not because it is effective.

• @ssgbryan +100!

• @phdubrov I have to agree as well. I much prefer written tutorials with a good many screenshots. Much easier than having to stop a video, play in the software of choice, and then back up the video a bit to make sure I didn't miss anything when I was ready to resume the tutorial.

• @Miss-B And that's why I love guided inside an app tutorials. But they are usually for basics only :(

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan said in How would you Promote Poser?:

That is because it is the least effective method of teaching someone if you want to retain what is being taught.
    Video learning is pushed because it is easy to make, not because it is effective.

Maybe for you but not for everybody. I'm completely the opposite.

It also depends on what you're teaching and who you're teaching it to. And with video you can always take notes if you need something written to refer back to later.

I'm much more visual, hands-on learner. I'm also mildly dyslexic, so if I'm given a page of text to read I often have to read it 10 times before I really understand what I'm reading. Words reverse themselves, half a sentence will jump to the next line, etc. But give me a video to watch and I can follow along with the video usually without pausing, as long as the instructor is clear and doesn't ramble on about irrelevant things.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Miss-B So me. And when English is not your mother language , with Video Tutorials you are really f*****.
    Some have such an horrible slang, you never understand what they want to teach you. Or when they are speaking fast. Not to understand for people outside of the English language community.

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade You would change your mind very quick If you would listen to a tutorial from me. Nice French accent , mixed with English .LOL Not suitable for everybody's ear . ;)

• In any case video tutorials should be spoken by a trained voice, preferably not by a native speaker.
    There should be an index to the main steps. If I need an explanation it is usually about one step in the process. A written docunent I can scan the index to see my understanding of the process is right, and then jump to the part I am interested in.

• Poser Ambassadors

@fverbaas Yes, in the theory . But in the praxis is often bad spoken with slang, to fast , many loose their self in small talk so you waste your time with listening meaningless boring stuff.
    Gnomon workshop is is a great source for professional Video tuts. But not everybody is willing to pay for it.
    What stay left is You Tube or blogs. 90% from there you can not listen without to have an mental breakdown.

• @Ladonna
    Exactly! That is why native speakers should refrain from 'voicing' tutorials. They speak too fast and use too much slang. People who learned English as a second language will tend to stick to the basic vocabulary and grammar they learned at school, which is a lot like what rest of world learned at school. If their pronounciation is clear and not too 'tinted', they can be more easy to follow.

• And on top of that, like teaching, making videos tuts is an art.