How would you Promote Poser?

• In any case video tutorials should be spoken by a trained voice, preferably not by a native speaker.
    There should be an index to the main steps. If I need an explanation it is usually about one step in the process. A written docunent I can scan the index to see my understanding of the process is right, and then jump to the part I am interested in.

• Poser Ambassadors

@fverbaas Yes, in the theory . But in the praxis is often bad spoken with slang, to fast , many loose their self in small talk so you waste your time with listening meaningless boring stuff.
    Gnomon workshop is is a great source for professional Video tuts. But not everybody is willing to pay for it.
    What stay left is You Tube or blogs. 90% from there you can not listen without to have an mental breakdown.

• @Ladonna
    Exactly! That is why native speakers should refrain from 'voicing' tutorials. They speak too fast and use too much slang. People who learned English as a second language will tend to stick to the basic vocabulary and grammar they learned at school, which is a lot like what rest of world learned at school. If their pronounciation is clear and not too 'tinted', they can be more easy to follow.

• And on top of that, like teaching, making videos tuts is an art.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ladonna There's a lot more than just Gnomon. Lynda.com, Udemy, Skillshare, Pluralsight (formerly digital tutors), those are just the ones that come to mind. Lots of others.

Studies are showing that video learning is more effective than written, as it engages the viewer and keeps them interested. The brain is also able to process images something like 60,000 times faster than reading text. Especially for younger generations who aren't interested in spending hours reading boring text, videos keep them engaged in the information.

And there are many YouTube instructors that earn a good living with their tutorial videos on just about any subject you can think of. But you need a voice and personality for it, and a knack for keeping your audience interested in the material. Good editing skills are also pretty vital.

• I'm late to this thread, but the best way to promote Poser is by showing how it works in more ways than just output-ing renders (ugh, mangled da Engrish there, sorry).

• And most important ( for me at least) is the increased robustness. I now dare to play and experiment.

• @ibr_remote like time-lapses in the style "five minutes render"? Showing not only click-click-click-render but a bit of the tools and tricks too? Probably a good idea.

@AmbientShade I have exactly opposite problem with most of the video tutorials. Too slow! Good if there are subtitles, so I can add speed... Speaking only about computer subjects though.
    (But I read about 200p/hour in English if it's prose...)

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade Agree, Gnomon was the first which comes in my mind. Lynda is very good also. Udemy, but they get pretty expensive now.
    When the video tuts are well made, they are a great source to learn.
    But to be honest, for Poser does not exist much video tut which you can listen without to have physical pain.
    I had once listen to one, a few years ago, there you did not know if the tutor had asthma , was running before, or maybe had just at this moment some adult fun while making this video.
    He was so heavy breathing , that after 5 minutes I give up.
    There are over you tube some really impressive made tuts out for PS, Substance stuff, Blender. But Poser is missing really on the top list.
    There are some webinars for sure also, but I don't like them.

• Poser Ambassadors

Best way to show off Poser is to show what can be done. What tools are there, and what options do they offer?

Here an example;

This is one of my old freestuff items : "Roxie the Roman" outfit.

Refitted to Bella in Blender; Merged all vertex groups into one, and removed all double vertex. => Exact, this outfit has only a single vertex group : Hip.
    0_1508414649517_Roman-single-group1.jpg

Imported as obj file into Poser, and brought it into the fitting room over Bella.
    In the fitting room, you have to select all bones required to serve as ghostbones for the single vertex group obj.
    Examples:

• The helmet needs the head bone
    • The spear needs the lHand bone
    • The sword needs the rHand bone
    • For the boots, I included up to the r and l Toe bones.

Next you go to the Pose room and conform, but not a lot is happening at that point. LOL.

Open the Joint editor, end select the "ghostbone" you want to paint the weight/bulge map for, and each time set "hip" as affected actor and paint the weightmap for each in Twist, Side-Side and Bend.
    Work in a logical order.

• Hip upwards over waist, abdomen up to the head, and from the hip down to the toes.
    • Then out to one side. => rCollar, over rShoulder, over rForearm, to rHand.
    • You only have to do one side, and use the "Figure => Rig Symmetry => to copy the rig to the other side.

Even in extreme outfits like these, only the sword and spear needed finetuning.

This is the unrendered and rigged single vertex group outfit conformed to the figure Bella.
    0_1508415335792_Roman-single-group2.jpg

What is more : => You have 3 options now.

• Either create ALL vertex groups.
    • Or create only the "main" vertex groups => Less manual weightmap painting to be done.
    • Or create only a single vertex group.

This last option is a good one as it PREVENTS Poser from breaking up the obj into individual and unwelded vertex groups when saving out the outfit to library.

Have a nice day all, and have fun using the Poser tools.
    Tony

• @vilters Tony are you saying that Poser should get rid of the Setup Room all together and let the Fitting Room be Poser's main figure content Room? I'm not saying yay or nay? I'm just asking you to clarify.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here a quick and dirty render of the single vertex group outfit.
    All procedurals, nothing fancy, and PhysicalSurface used.

0_1508417568044_Roman-single-group3.jpg

@Earl

The setup room has its advantages if you begin with a bare / new obj from nothing at all.
    ! ! ! ! ! ! !But again, reminder => When exiting the setup room and saving to library, your vertex grouped obj WILL be split into individual and unwelded vertex groups ! ! ! ! !

(The fitting room does the same thing => Unwelding the vertex groups you feed it! ! ! !

AFTER a setup or fitting room session, you should ALLWAYS replace the obj file that Poser saved for you with the original welded one. => Keep the cr2, but replace the obj.

That's why going SINGLE vertex group can be an advantage.

To create clothing? The fitting room is preferable in my humble opinion.

I always do the fitting over a figure part in Blender, and only use the fitting room to transfer the bones.
    But that's personal choice.

• Poser Ambassadors

One of the best way to promote Poser is to create high quality Content. Free and for sale and use the new Technics.
    Not outdated Poser 5 shadernodes, Deep-mapshadow lights and another old fancy stuff. get the best out of the new Superfly render engine, cycles shader nodes, fitting room and show it.
    Write tutorials .
    Don't be always so negative in the forums . To bash permanently on Poser leads to a self fulfilling prophecy. You just need to repeat it over and over again that Poser is dead and more and more people will leave the ship.

• I would certainly not!

• I think they need to promote it with pictures that can be done in just Poser, with included content, rather than postworked stuff. Then they could put the ready to render scenes in the scene library so buyers can immediately get a picture.
    Example, these 2 pics are straight exports, resized and saved for web. Not the greatest (and the pics use content that's not included (Miki 4 plus Biscuit's hair and Kelvin G2 plus clothes but they are Smith Micro figures) which requires extra expense) but are examples of what Poser can do on it's own. These sort of scenes could be included.

0_1508419576810_miki4_portrait.jpg

0_1508419684592_KelvinG2_portrait.jpg

There's nothing worse than getting all excited by some new bit of shiny kit and not being able to get the result (or at least near it) you see on the (virtual) box. Just my opinion.

• Poser Ambassadors

@raven Outstanding render !!!! Miki looks so gorgeous here.

• @Ladonna Thanks. I don't play with those figures often but thought 'why not' as I thought about doing a series of portraits and different figures give different looks! :)

• @raven He looks like an actor I've seen. Just can't think of his name or the show I've seen him on.

• @raven said in How would you Promote Poser?:

There's nothing worse than getting all excited by some new bit of shiny kit and not being able to get the result (or at least near it) you see on the (virtual) box. Just my opinion.

This is something I hope to remedy with simple tuts like this one, but folks also need to understand that Poser is a lot like real life photography, renders can be dull and underexposed, much like a real DSLR camera would do. To get nice vibrant renders, you will have to visit the 'dark room' so to speak, or the modern equivalent: Photoshop, or Gimp. I will provide hints about those too.

• @Ladonna said in How would you Promote Poser?:

@Miss-B So me. And when English is not your mother language , with Video Tutorials you are really f*****.
    Some have such an horrible slang, you never understand what they want to teach you. Or when they are speaking fast. Not to understand for people outside of the English language community.

The same for me when the tutorial creator's mother language wasn't English. I had a two-part video tutorial for a really nice sword in Silo, and I was able to do the first part, the pummel and crossguard, but the second part for the sword's blade was impossible to follow, so I just created my own blade similar to one I had already done successfully from another tutorial.