Outside of the Box: Poser 15

• There's a theme revolving around many discussions in this forum of Poser and what it should/could/would have in a future iteration. Many of them are "utilitarian" in that they're expansions of what Poser already does. No few of them are just fine-tunings of the program's existing capabilities.

In other words, they're not exactly "awe inspiring" expansions that demand the attention of users that may not have previously been interested in purchasing Poser. They're not "out of the box" ideas.

What's your most far-fetched, but exciting, suggestion that you expect to see in Poser 15 or some suitably far-off iteration of the program?

Full animation suite with everything needed, from "live" instanced animation to keyframing to sound, effects and FMV compositing and tracking?

Complete storyboarding utility suite, automagic overlays with scene note files and collaboration utilities and versioning?

A full webcomic publishing application sub-suite available as an add-on or embedded, with automagic html++uber updates and "live" publishing-straight-to-web?

Soft-body physics automation, gravity and mass automagically calculated, resistance, shear, muscle, stretch effects?

Or, something simple, like the ability to custom-render library icons with one-click, no muss no fuss, straight to either FireflyX or Supercyclefly render and into your runtime?

Real Hair that requires a visit to a stylist every few weeks?

"Make Baby" - The new script that mates two rigged figures, adds a suitable variable, and creates a new one that requires you to start saving money for its college education?

Poser 15's future is not going to be solely based on our experiences with the current version of Poser. It shouldn't be. It may take several iterations, each inspiring new ideas for the future ones, to fully evolve into something greater than the sum of its current parts.

But, those first fledgling ideas must come. There's no reason why they can't come sooner...

• Poser Ambassadors

The ultimate dream for Poser?
    You tell poser what you want to do and it will then load the figures needed, load its clothing hair and props, loads the appropriate environment and then act out your idea and stream the resulting animation to your screen or out to the world.
    Your only task is to get and think of the story, the look you want and the rest is taken care of by the app.

We'll get there.
    Some day...

• Considering Poser's only 4 versions away from P15, I'd like for poser to have the ability to use a regular camera, or a web camera or your phone camera to motion capture your movements for your figures and use a microphone to make them speak.

• @morkonan Actually, I did just have a thought... What if Poser would allow you to hook up a game controller to control the movements of figures? And with a button press, let you record and playback those movements? Just a thought, but especially since Poser seems interested in the game market now. You could use Poser to design and program your entire game.

• @morkonan

Whaaaaat !!?? I'm going to be dead and buried by the time Poser 15 comes out!

Hopefully by Poser 15 they are going to have metaballls!!! Oh, oh... but then I'll be a ham already... nevermind that.

So, if I were to think of my gift to future generations... I'd say real-time photorealistic rendering for the render-maniacs between us, and a robot mannequin that you pose with your hands and Poser captures that automatically, for the anima-niacs between us.

• The ability to take masked photos and create faces and bodies that match them.
    Proper environment control - fog, rain, snow and water
    Hair sims that don't look awful
    Soft body interaction with every element in a scene having a hard or squishiness value, as well as gravity/weight so body parts deform against each other automatically.
    A hair rigging system of universal morphs so ALL hair can get longer, shorter, bangs, movement morphs (within groups of hair types)
    A wound system

• @eclark1849 regarding the camera input, I was just wishing that all the lovely HDRI panoramas people are using with foreground and middle depth objects in view had a z-depth for each pixel. That way you could change the camera position within Poser and have the perspective of the foreground objects in the panorama move appropriately.

The only trouble with that is that the technology to capture the z-depth requires laser theodolite type sensors, which is a while away from current selfie/phone/instagram devices. And no kinect support for macOS, yet either.

Having an immersive VR Poser version of The Sims sounds like a worthwhile goal. The Poser Matrix!

• Great suggestions, all! Keep 'em coming!

And, if any are wondering "Why even think about this sort of stuff" - The point is that all of the suggestions, so far, are "doable", right now, in some way. Probably not perfect, but definitely within the realm of possibilities.

So, stretch the frame, bend reality, push the difficult barriers. Sure, you've got to "sort of" have some constraints. Or, rather, "restraints." Poser isn't a program designed to fix your car with the press of a button. Well, it could be, kind of... For instance, what if you could scan a "Chilton" book and load that up? Taking that a bit further, along the lines of what Poser is intended to do, would simply be a matter of

"Give Poser the ability to import a 2D line-art image, convert that to an .ai-like format and produce a 3d "line art" object that can be rigged and animated... "

In short, every wacky, far-out, out-of-the-box suggestion could have a very relevant component that could be incorporated into the program while still retaining its primary focus. More importantly, such out-of-the-box suggestions can have truly innovative results.

So, don't try, necessarily, to think through a suggestion like I did, above. Just go as far outside of the box as you want to. Then, if you wish, "surprise yourself" by coming up with a Poser-use that is relevant to that wacky idea.

"I want Poser to keep my refrigerated vegetables fresh and crispy."

Stupid? NO!

"Poser 15 should have a good selection of "food" objects in its stock library."

A simple evolution of the impractical to practical.

• @matb said in Outside of the Box: Poser 15:

Soft body interaction with every element in a scene having a hard or squishiness value, as well as gravity/weight so body parts deform against each other automatically.

Oh-oh... that would cause an inflation of movies in Youtube with all sorts of... errr... "soft" bodies being jumped up and down, squished, bumped, grabbed, collided, thrown side to side, oscillated, floated, popped, walked, parachuted, trampolined, tied, untied, kidnapped, saved, rolled, and so forth.

That would risk breaking Youtube. And then when people would ask "Who broke Youtube??", one would say, "oh, it was matb..."

:D

• @morkonan Actually, I already have a refrigerator I made for Dawn and it's loaded with food which I also made in Blender.

• @eclark1849 said in Outside of the Box: Poser 15:

@morkonan Actually, I already have a refrigerator I made for Dawn and it's loaded with food which I also made in Blender.

You are capable of producing that and probably enjoyed doing it, right? :) But, would you have been pleasantly surprised if, in your library, there was already a nice, wide, selection of basic food models and a few eclectic ones?

Choosing which items to supply is relatively easy. If someone is going to render food, why are they doing it? Basic meals are easy and those are probably for renders of a family or a quite dinner, with not much emphasis on what's being eaten. So, a small selection of "Meat and Three" could be available and a few items of interest, like popular "main courses" could be included. (Turkey, pot roast, ham, plates with serving utensils for them.)

If someone is rendering "fast food", then what would they need? That's likely a render that focuses more on the atmosphere and enjoyment of indulging oneself in fast-food. So, for instance, a bit more detail and variety might be needed. A variety of interesting drinks, some finger-food items, morphing french-fry containers, some individual french-fries to scatter around, a puddle of ketchup, spilled milkshake with morphs, etc..

Note: I really get pretty surprised by the quality of some freebie food items I've seen. Some of them are really nicely detailed.

• @morkonan Honestly, it's not something I've ever really thought about, but I have either bought or downloaded for free any food items I've need over the years.

• An easy and intelligent solution for making any piece of clothing dynamic. Having proper presets for fabrics that you can easily configure, load and save:

1. Load conforming jacket and automatically conform it to the figure that was selected.
    2. In Cloth Room: Load preset "leather".
    3. Start cloth simulator. It knows from the type of clothing which parts should be fixed to the body and which are dynamic.

• The ability to automatically put any prop into either hand of any figure and have the figure's hand grip it properly... ;o)

• @3dcheapskate Maybe that might be in the next gen of mocap equipment.Gloves and socks that let you control a figure's hands and feet , and will let you interact with objects in 3D space.

• A "Kippleize*" button to instantly make any scene more realistic ?
    (As well as adding kipple it should also, of course, apply appropriate wear and tear, stains, scuffs, dust, cobwebs, etc, to everything in the scene)
    On second thoughts, not a button - it should be voice controlled like in Blade Runner. "Zoom... down... stop. Left... stop... increase kipple in that corner"

*https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kipple

• For me the Poser 15 feature would be voice and physical control of figures. Basically visualise the figure life-size in mixed reality environment and manipulate/bend it interactively or control movements with voice command. Force feedback on my fingers.
    Full dynamic clothing and environment.
    Arranging clothing by manipulation (full 10 finger level, not just pinch), driven by standard sensor gloves. I expect that by the time Poser 14 is released a suitable standard has emerged that can be used for the development of Poser15, and affordable hardware becomes widely available.
    Tools to import existing .obj into this environment for virtual components and tools to define real life objects in the mixed reality world (define the approximate primitives).

• @fverbaas obj? VDB (for solids too!) only! all proper volumetric materials, with layers and ability to scratch/break/tear right in VR! and don't forget to manipulate volumetric data (blood flow) with actor movements and emotions, like volumetric blush!

1. I'd like to specify the exact edit / render window size without un-docking it or spending ages fiddling with the screen by trial and error...

So, either a box into which you bang eg 1000x800, or something which shows the current size while you strrrretch it...

I've no problem re-sizing even big renders by a couple of pixels using eg IrfanView, but the lack is so silly...

1. Fix lingering bug which causes left half of name of any 'file not found' to hide off-box. { Mutter, mutter, mutter... }

FWIW, the hunt for misplaced files, especially when salvaging 'classic' models, can be a real slog...

• Poser Ambassadors

@nik_2213 said in Outside of the Box: Poser 15:

1. I'd like to specify the exact edit / render window size without un-docking it or spending ages fiddling with the screen by trial and error...

So, either a box into which you bang eg 1000x800, or something which shows the current size while you strrrretch it...

I've no problem re-sizing even big renders by a couple of pixels using eg IrfanView, but the lack is so silly...

1. Fix lingering bug which causes left half of name of any 'file not found' to hide off-box. { Mutter, mutter, mutter... }

FWIW, the hunt for misplaced files, especially when salvaging 'classic' models, can be a real slog...

With regards to 1) - You can set the exact render size via the Menu: Render!Render dimensions.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.