Bridging Poser to Marvelous Designer 7 and back?

• Mavelous Designer 7 offers a Python scripting API.
    The API functions are described here. In summary they support loading an avatar with animation and a garment file, and to start off and stop the simulation/animation, and saving the result to .obj, object cache, FBX or Alembic.

My programming skills are quite rusty but from what I see in the specifications this would allow to use MD as a bypass for the cloth room, with Poser saving the animation as a collada file and writing the python file for MD. (Poser must know the MD representation of the garment), and either set the simulation off in MD directly or leave it to he user to make some modifications first and hen simulate, after which the result can be saved and loaded back into Poser.
    Note the simulation can also be a fitting process.

Making this bridge is way beyond my limited competencies. Just hoping @rtorres and his team are on this.

• ... and MD team preparing a 'player only' license.

• Poser Ambassadors

A "bridge to Blender" would be way more productive for the "all around end" user.

• @vilters Ohhhhh, now THAT I would love to see. ~grin~

• @vilters And wouldn't cost a cent.

• @eclark1849 Yes, that too. ~wink~

• @vilters said in Bridging Poser to Marvelous Designer 7 and back?:

A "bridge to Blender" would be way more productive for the "all around end" user.

And, since Poser now supports Cycles, at least some of it, such a bridge would give Blender users a possible inducement to buy a copy of Poser as a nice companion app....

But, where's the guy at SM responsible for thinking up logical extensions that can be strategic marketing victories, helping to capture the attention of what would likely be a very interested market segment?

/sigh (I've often mentioned they should work a bit more closely with Blender's devs to find innovations that compliment that audience. Cycles is great and I'm sure they're keeping tabs on it and such. But... this is sort of a no-brainer idea, right? And... nada.) Where's my "export/bridge to blend/Blender button?

• @vilters
    I'd get more use out of the MD one. Not crazy about Blender.

• @Deecey I've never like MD's licensing scam ... um, scheme. Yeah, yeah, I meant scheme. It turned me off when I first heard of them and I've never looked back.

• Poser Ambassadors

I would love a bridge to Marvelous Designer.
    I do not see why a bridge to MD would exclude a bridge to Blender.

• Poser Ambassadors

@wimvdb
    Both bridges would be welcome Wim.

But if you have a limited number of manhrs to spend?
    More end users are also Blender users, as the $$ for MD are kinda out of reach for most hobby artists.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters said in Bridging Poser to Marvelous Designer 7 and back?:

@wimvdb
    Both bridges would be welcome Wim.

But if you have a limited number of manhrs to spend?
    More end users are also Blender users, as the $$ for MD are kinda out of reach for most hobby artists.

Then i would prefer MD.
    F_Verbaas asked for a python script, which is different as integrating it in Poser. So it could be done by a 3rd party developer.

• @wimvdb Can you save an animation file from MD to play in Poser or Blender?

• @eclark1849
    MD does export an OBJ sequence, but I think that might be one of the key reasons that the suggested MD to Poser python script might come in very useful.

• Poser Ambassadors

Posers cloth room cache files are stored in Alembic format, and MD can export Alembic. So a script could potentially convert the MD alembic to cloth room cach file. (VWD does this as well). In this case you would have an animation from MD playing in Poser.

• @wimvdb
    MD animations playing in Poser! That is very interesting!

The file example.py provided with MD7 (also with trial version!) does give ready examples of MD made to import, process and export.
    Note the paths of avatar and garment are hard coded and, on my system at least, did not lead to the right location and need to be amended for the scripts to work.
    0_1508790403144_Knipsel.JPG

I assume however this will not be a problem for the Python gurus.

• Poser Ambassadors

@F_Verbaas said in Bridging Poser to Marvelous Designer 7 and back?:

@wimvdb
    MD animations playing in Poser! That is very interesting!

The file example.py provided with MD7 (also with trial version!) does give ready examples of MD made to import, process and export.
    Note the paths of avatar and garment are hard coded and, on my system at least, did not lead to the right location and need to be amended for the scripts to work.
    0_1508790403144_Knipsel.JPG

I assume however this will not be a problem for the Python gurus.

Things like path would not be a problem.
    II think what that challenge will be is how to sync the MD posing of the figure and the Poser posing. The MD avatars are pretty basic in the bending department and do not have morphs.
    It think what is needed is to export the poser figire in morphed state as an avatar for MD including the entire animation. Then load cloth in MD (or create cloth), then sim it in MD, export the alembic back to poser as cloth room cache files. During the export you have to fix the path names or copy or embed them in the cache file.

Whether then actual bending will translate in an acceptable form is the big question here.

• @wimvdb More hoop jumping?

• @wimvdb
    Then maybe alembic would be the vehicle of choice also to carry from Poser to MD? That is basically just vertices moving, so MD's bending would not be important.
    I just checked and found MD happily imports a 1Gb alembic animation file exported by Poser and plays it.
    The textures do not carry over correctly, but hey I had a Superfly texture on the figure so maybe sorting out the essential was too difficult or my old graphics card (GX650) cannot cope in MD.
    Core message: is there need not be a loss in geometry as far as I can see, but it sure comes with a load of data.

• Poser Ambassadors

@F_Verbaas
    Very good, so that would not be a problem
    Then it is essentially the same thing as VWD does. It also creates its own obj sims that, then exports it as cloth room cache file (alembic) and lets Poser load the new object file. After that the script lets poser save and reload the scene, so it will read the cache files and let it apply to the new cloth.

So it looks like it will be doable.