UVs moving from prop to prop in Material Room

• So I'm having an odd issue which I think may be either a bug or feature of the material room. I have a dynamic dress in two parts. The main dress, and then long dropped sleeves that are a separate prop. I've made an image map/UV layout for each of these items separately and am now putting together the materials in Poser.

I'm using a shader set I have to apply the cloth look I want. Then changing the image map in each to be the right one.

So here's where things get interesting. I set up the dress, it looked fine. I'm mostly sure I then copied the materials from the advanced tab of the Material room, pasted them onto the Sleeves and then altered the image map to reflect the correct UV for the sleeves.

When I did a test render I got this:
    alt text

Which is the wrong UV for the dress. I went into the Material room again, and sure enough some how the Sleeves UV had shown up in the dress. So I corrected which image map was being used for the Dress went back, did another test render and got this:
    alt text

So now the Dress UV was on the Sleeves. Now these are operate props. I'm guessing this happened because of how I copy and pasted between the two. Is there a way to unlink these? Or do I have to start over on one of them?

• Poser Ambassadors

UV's are in the obj file and Poser can not touch those.

Check that you copied the texture from one to the other.
    My idea is that you copied the texture together with the nodes, so the texture ends up on the wrong parts.

Check that each has the correct texture set attached to it.

• Poser Ambassadors

In the advanced material room;
    If you do a select all => Copy
    Go to the other prop and click => Paste
    You automatically pasted that texture on the wrong prop.
    You have to edit the image node back to the correct texture for that prop.
    Hope that helps.

• @vilters So the first time I did a select all and then copy, then I changed the image map that was being used.

The thing is, when I change the image map for the dress now (without copying and pasting), the one for the sleeves changes, and when I change the one for the sleeves it goes back and alters the dress again.

• Poser Ambassadors

I have seen this bug but cannot reproduce it. My only solution was to delete the messed up prop or figure and start over with a freshly loaded one.

You MIGHT also try saving all the materials as a single material collection, then reloading them, although depending where the bug really exists that may or may not fix it.

• @bagginsbill said in UVs moving from prop to prop in Material Room:

I have seen this bug but cannot reproduce it. My only solution was to delete the messed up prop or figure and start over with a freshly loaded one.

You MIGHT also try saving all the materials as a single material collection, then reloading them, although depending where the bug really exists that may or may not fix it.

Keep in mind that I know nothing about material groups, but is there any chance the two different props have ended up with a material group that has an identical name or something?

• mr_phoenyxx reminded me of something - if you accidentally (or intentionally) use exactly the same filename for the two images but have them in different folders (e.g. dress/nicepattern.jpg and dress/sleeves/nicepattern.jpg) then you'll get the symptoms you see.

I've just created myself a simple prop with two mat zones and reconfirmed it in PP2014.

So make sure you're not doing that.

• @3dcheapskate That was it exactly. It makes sense in retrospect, I can easily see how having the same file name would cause Poser to assume they are the same file. Thanks for the help.

• Poser Ambassadors

Oh wow - that behavior is still there? That sucks.

It does NOT make sense. I can see if you're specifying a file only by its last name, that it would make sense. But if you were to go into the Image Manager and display what textures you have loaded they are full paths, not just last names. I write software -- there is no reason this should be confusing the two images.

Note that if SEARCHing for the image by last name only, you could expect it to take whichever it finds first in whatever folder. But once loaded and attached to the in-memory cache, the full path should be how it distinguishes images.

• @bagginsbill Actually, with PP2014, the behavior seemed to get worse. There was a time when creating a folder for "your" stuff, even if the name was the same on something else, Poser would adhere to the path in your mat/pose/whatever file. With PP2014 that is no longer true - even if the texture path is glitterat:dawn:outfitname:pants_trans.jpg Poser pulls up the first pants_trans.jpg it finds.

I now append a prefix to every file I create - textures, objects, everything.

• Poser Ambassadors

Texture caching.

The first time a texture-name/file is called for, it goes into the texture cach..

Next time that texture name is called for? => Poser does not go look for it any more but retrieves it from the cach.