Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries

• Hi everyone,

There have been important change to CLIP STUDIO PAINT/ Manga Studio 5's support and inquiries. PLEASE read: http://blog.smithmicro.com/clip-studio-paints-next-chapter0_1508942208053_CSP_goodbye.png

• is this forum still going to be active after your social media channels get shutdown as announced?

I'm mostly concerned about the suggestion and enhancement feedback thread, but overall, I prefer this layout to clip ask ://

• Yeah, so is THIS forum going to get shut down as well? We users already lost a lot of collective knowledge when the previous forums at runtimedna shuttered, will we be losing everything here now as well?

• Will CLIP STUDIO PAINT’s social media still exist? The Smith Micro social media channels, which include Facebook: Clip Studio Paint and Twitter: @MangaStudio, will stay active until October 30, 2017. On October 31, 2017 these pages will be shut down for good. To interact with CELSYS’ social media, you can follow them on Twitter here and like them on Facebook here.

I suspect that part of the forums here might not. Nor is this the first time that this sort of thing's happened. The DNA Forums are long gone now.

• This really sucks. Celsys' "capable" english support appears to just be nothing more than using google translate.

• @mysticsphere Sad, but true. Whenever a new release comes out, it's sometimes really hard to get what the "new features" do without a lot of fiddling with them. I've sent a message to them via the CSP Facebook page about if they'll be English forums. They might reply. :P

• @laura.seabrook Hope so. It is such a shame that these forums, like the runtime forums, will go kaput in less than a week's time from now. I guess the deal with Smith Micro and Celsys didn't work out. I don't know how I feel about getting future versions of Clip Studio Paint without a functional english support forum, as there was a ton of stuff I looked to on these forums and the older ones that helped me run the program smoother. Having to rely on google translate in the future doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it's time to pick up photoshop or something.

• @mysticsphere Yes, I can understand that. I've been sometimes playing with Krita as a possible alternative, just in case CSP changes to a (shudder) subscription base model (a rumour I heard a while back). I'd still use the version I have, but some folk like myself are on fixed incomes and that model isn't sustainable. Krita's good, but it's not there yet.

And I do love drawing with CSP! :D

• @laura.seabrook said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

....just in case CSP changes to a (shudder) subscription base model (a rumour I heard a while back).

More than a rumor, they already rolled it out in Japan, the "value version" subscription is 500 yen/month. It's only a matter of time before they start offering it here, and you can bet at some point they'll stop offering "perpetual" licenses. At which point I would stop using it, I refuse to pay for personal use software on a subscription model.

• @laura.seabrook thanks for pointing Krita out to me, it seems really promising so far. I'm a little startled by the fact that CSP is already starting a sub model in Japan, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they bring that policy to the west. Alternatives are looking better and better right now.

• This is very disappointing and at short notice. The Celsys sites appear aimed at and frequented by 13 year old girls.... no offence to 13 year old girls...but I am not one. The readability is poor and the use of English is ..... ! So unless anyone can suggest an alternative forum we could use then I am likely to drop out of the free advice/ social collaboration space. A big thank you to all who have collaborated here and at the DNA forum over the past years.... and especially to Garlam and Laura Ess.

• @laura.seabrook
    first, is there a source for the rumor you're referring to? I don't find gossip cute if it's not backed up by something substantial.

second, celsys gives you a permanent license after, iirc, 2 years long enrollment in subscription (at least, the way they operate now.)

after that you are not obliged to renew it every month/every year for the rest of your life, as with adobe's creative suite.

• We've had an overwhelming amount of requests to keep this forum open. While there has been a change in support and inquiries, we greatly appreciate all of our loyal users and incredible CLIP STUDIO PAINT community.

We have decided to keep the forums open to help you collaborate, exchange ideas and continue to enjoy your Clip Studio/Manga Studio experience and grow the community.

• @anniespewak HURRAY!

• Great news. Thanks so much Smith Micro, that is really awesome of you guys to do this.

• SUBSCRIPTION MODEL
    More than a rumor, they already rolled it out in Japan

Sigh. I can understand why Software developers do this, because it offers a method of defeating piracy, but if a developer does this, they really need to a) offer a more expensive but definitive license for a fixed version, and b) respond more directly to user requests on features and present those in the subscription model.

• This is very disappointing and at short notice. The Celsys sites appear aimed at and frequented by 13 year old girls.... no offence to 13 year old girls...but I am not one. The readability is poor and the use of English is ..... ! So unless anyone can suggest an alternative forum we could use then I am likely to drop out of the free advice/ social collaboration space. A big thank you to all who have collaborated here and at the DNA forum over the past years.... and especially to Garlam and Laura Ess.

Thanks. I suspect that it's just Japanese Manga Fans rather than only 13yo girls. I've seen plenty of manga and anime (like Azumanga Daioh) to know the perpetual fascination the Japanese fans have for that genre!

• @laura.seabrook

Sigh. I can understand why Software developers do this, because it offers a method of defeating piracy...

I do not think so. Even now, Clip Studio Paint phones home when you launch it. The reason for a subscription model is for recurring payments. That cancerous 'Software as a service' business model. I'm surprised more companies don't use that model with kitchen appliances, and pace makers...bill the client every month for their continued regular heart-beat, and refrigeration needs. (...not rent-to-own... just rent.)

I have the retail Sketchbook Pro from Autodesk, with all of the tools; it works indefinitely. For a time I used their new subscription based version, at work. It's missing many of the common tools unless you subscribe monthly to them. There is no reason to use the crippled version or pay the subscription fee if you have the full version... which I doubt they sell anymore.

• @anniespewak said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

We've had an overwhelming amount of requests to keep this forum open. While there has been a change in support and inquiries, we greatly appreciate all of our loyal users and incredible CLIP STUDIO PAINT community.

We have decided to keep the forums open to help you collaborate, exchange ideas and continue to enjoy your Clip Studio/Manga Studio experience and grow the community.

A big thank you to Smith Micro...that's very generous and much appreciated. If Celsys think they can do a better job without you they are badly mistaken.

• @OffWorld said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

@laura.seabrook said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

....just in case CSP changes to a (shudder) subscription base model (a rumour I heard a while back).

More than a rumor, they already rolled it out in Japan, the "value version" subscription is 500 yen/month. It's only a matter of time before they start offering it here, and you can bet at some point they'll stop offering "perpetual" licenses. At which point I would stop using it, I refuse to pay for personal use software on a subscription model.

It is not a Adobe-style subscription plan, if you pay the 500 Yen sub for 11 months (around $55, $5 more than buying straight) you get a normal serial number which they explicitly say it is an unlimited license. That is, this is basically a 11-month installment payment plan.

(50 months for EX, around $250, +$20 from the $230 it costs buying straight)