Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries

• @laura.seabrook

Sigh. I can understand why Software developers do this, because it offers a method of defeating piracy...

I do not think so. Even now, Clip Studio Paint phones home when you launch it. The reason for a subscription model is for recurring payments. That cancerous 'Software as a service' business model. I'm surprised more companies don't use that model with kitchen appliances, and pace makers...bill the client every month for their continued regular heart-beat, and refrigeration needs. (...not rent-to-own... just rent.)

I have the retail Sketchbook Pro from Autodesk, with all of the tools; it works indefinitely. For a time I used their new subscription based version, at work. It's missing many of the common tools unless you subscribe monthly to them. There is no reason to use the crippled version or pay the subscription fee if you have the full version... which I doubt they sell anymore.

• @anniespewak said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

We've had an overwhelming amount of requests to keep this forum open. While there has been a change in support and inquiries, we greatly appreciate all of our loyal users and incredible CLIP STUDIO PAINT community.

We have decided to keep the forums open to help you collaborate, exchange ideas and continue to enjoy your Clip Studio/Manga Studio experience and grow the community.

A big thank you to Smith Micro...that's very generous and much appreciated. If Celsys think they can do a better job without you they are badly mistaken.

• @OffWorld said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

@laura.seabrook said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

....just in case CSP changes to a (shudder) subscription base model (a rumour I heard a while back).

More than a rumor, they already rolled it out in Japan, the "value version" subscription is 500 yen/month. It's only a matter of time before they start offering it here, and you can bet at some point they'll stop offering "perpetual" licenses. At which point I would stop using it, I refuse to pay for personal use software on a subscription model.

It is not a Adobe-style subscription plan, if you pay the 500 Yen sub for 11 months (around $55, $5 more than buying straight) you get a normal serial number which they explicitly say it is an unlimited license. That is, this is basically a 11-month installment payment plan.

(50 months for EX, around $250, +$20 from the $230 it costs buying straight)

• @mysticsphere said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

This really sucks. Celsys' "capable" english support appears to just be nothing more than using google translate.

If you wrote directly to their support your had capable answer.

Mic

• I wonder how they are going to handle their "on sale" - if they continue that at all.

Ordinary price 49/209 ... but most of the time 25/87.

Mic

There is probably going to be an iPad Pro version, and that will take some resources.

• @Micmac

I wondered the same thing... My guess is that that will stop.

• @pottering said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

It is not a Adobe-style subscription plan, if you pay the 500 Yen sub for 11 months (around $55, $5 more than buying straight) you get a normal serial number which they explicitly say it is an unlimited license. That is, this is basically a 11-month installment payment plan.

yes! thank you for this post; not to mention the boxed version of clip studio is available from Japanese amazon too, so it's not like they are forcing users into subscribing.

I have only seen one dumb post on reddit spreading the subscription-only gossip, and they have backtracked on their BS since. I don't even understand what was their logic (screaming "I called it!!!11" on the internet in an unlikely instance celsys did this move?...) with that, aside from generating wank.

God I hate reddit idiots; for a second I was afraid it would be an only more-or-less organized discussion outlet for clip, with all the idiocy that comes with that, but anyway

I'm glad these forums are maintained the way they are, this is a great move for the community, and I appreciate it a lot.

• Hi everyone,

This forum will remain open until April 26, 2018, which we hope will give everyone enough time to transition. This forum is a wonderful place to meet for support, to socialization and to be inspired. While we love having you here, we want to remind you that Smith Micro will no longer provide support here and that CELSYS does have a forum and center for support, 'Ask CELSYS.' We have full confidence in their ability to provide exceptional support and we look forward to the future of CLIP STUDIO PAINT.

All the best!

• @pottering said in Important Changes to CLIP STUDIO PAINT's Support and Inquiries:

Thank you for clarifying that. I honestly had never clicked on the 500 yen/mo option to see the specific terms, I just assumed it was an ongoing monthly subscription, not an "installment plan" for a "perpetual" license. My bad.

But the software already "phones home" for license verification on a regular basis (and if you have the "perpetual" license why should it ever need to check again after the first verification?). So I'd still be concerned about how easily they could turn it into an actual subscription model by simply no longer offering the "perpetual" license.

• It is not a Adobe-style subscription plan, if you pay the 500 Yen sub for 11 months (around $55, $5 more than buying straight) you get a normal serial number ...

This is a huge relief to read. I have friends who will help me with a once off purchase, but monthly installments, not.