Convert a figure to a prop

• I am probably being stupid right now, but is there a way to convert a figure into a prop?

I can't seem to clothify the figure itself, so I'm assuming it needs to be a prop?

• @mr_phoenyxx What figure are you talking about?

• You can't clothify a body. You can clothify body parts. I often do the hips on dresses because they never have the moves I need. If you need to do the whole figure, convert it. You can export it as an obj and then reimport it. Or you can use this script. https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/figure-to-prop-1-02/50705. If it's clothing you want to convert and it has body handles that you don't want, make them invisible, and they won't transfer.

• @eclark1849 Does it really matter? I mean I only tried one figure, but I would think the question would apply to numerous figures. How about Andy2? Let's use him as an example. I terrible example I realize, but let's assume you really wanted to clothify Andy2. How would you do it?

• @redphantom I tried the hip thing. It didn't work. :P

I'm playing with the export/import OBJ at the moment.

• Easy peasy. I do that with conforming clothes all the time, to make them a prop.

Create a copy your figure, then go to Setup room, go to Group Editor, get any bone then Add All vertices to it. Go back to Pose room, click in Group Editor, select that bone, Create Prop. That generates a prop with exactly the same vertices as the initial figure.

Then delete your now messed up copy, as it's useless to have a figure with all vertices assigned to just one bone.

• @fbs7 I will have to try that.

The OBJ export/import doesn't seem to be working. The figure keeps exploding when I run the simulation.

• If people want a specific example, then let's go with Andy2 being a balloon. Balloon Andy is being draped over the back of a chair. So basically as if someone had taken BaloonAndy2 and thrown his deflated body over the back of a chair.

That's not exactly what I'm doing, but it's a good example.

• @mr_phoenyxx
    By "exploding", what do you mean? Coming apart at seams? Different parts falling in different places? Something else?

OK, so let's take your balloon Andy as an example. Even though Andy is one FIGURE, it's a figure that is made of many geometry parts that are unique. There may also be splits at the group seams and so on.

In order for "balloon Andy" to work as a single unified OBJ, you will have to do more than just import the OBJ file, and you'll probably have to do this in a modeler. The body parts that have one piece of geometry, but have different groups in that part will have to be welded at the group seams.

Either that, or you will have to get creative in the Cloth Room, and assign rigid or soft decorated groups that retain their position when the Balloon Andy prop is simulated. Which you will also have to do with any "unattached" part, like Andy's ball joints.

Taking a human figure as an example, in most cases the skin parts are a unified OBJ split into separate body parts. If the body parts are split at group seams you will need to weld those parts together to make sure that the skin is all one unified OBJ file.

Then you have the eyes, fingernails, toenails, teeth, tongue, etc., which are almost always separate geometry in and of themselves. You will need to add each of these to soft or rigid decorated groups in the Cloth Room so that they remain "attached" to the skin.

• @Deecey Exploding, as in the picture below:
    0_1509122380440_Clothsim.jpg

• @Deecey Well I chose Andy so that we wouldn't have to worry about eyes, hair, and such.

I tried exporting with weld at the seams checked, but I take it from what you are saying that this is likely not enough.

• @Deecey Darn. It still explodes after going into the grouping room and creating a prop.

• @mr_phoenyxx
    It's tough to guess what's going on at this point unless someone takes a look at the OBJ. Is this something you purchased?

• @mr_phoenyxx said in Convert a figure to a prop:

If people want a specific example, then let's go with Andy2 being a balloon. Balloon Andy is being draped over the back of a chair. So basically as if someone had taken BaloonAndy2 and thrown his deflated body over the back of a chair.

That's not exactly what I'm doing, but it's a good example.

Oh, some geometries are definitely not good for dynamic simulations. Sometimes I have to cut off some parts of the conforming cloth to get rid of odd geometries.

The problem is that the dynamic cloth requires what they call a "non-manifold" mesh, meaning that the vertexes need to make a nice plane (even if it's a closed plane with holes). If only one vertex is wrong, it will blow up dynamic cloth simulator.

The way I address that (without resorting to laborious mesh editing in Blender) is to make all vertexes Constrained or Soft Decorated; then only select as dynamic those regions that make a nice single plane like sheets of paper (say a skirt). So if you see someting like a pocket, that's a big no-no, because the vertices where the pocket joins the shirt will be non-manifold (they will belong to two different planes - the pocket and the shirt).

You'll understand better the problems in the mesh if you import the OBJ in Blender and then Select Non-Manifold; only the edges should be selected - anything intrnal, big no-no-no for dynamic simulation in Blender, it will blow the simulation out.

• @Deecey Yes, it's the top from Shoot 6: Cheer Squad on Renderosity.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/cheer-for-shoot-05-spirit-squad-outfit/91909/

• @fbs7 Yeah, I think this top just isn't going to work well. It's too bad really. I was hoping to use a cloth sim to drape it over the back of a chair. Make my renders look better and more realistic.

• Split groups have to either be welded or the seams set to one of the unwelded-friendly options, like soft-decorated, etc.

Nonmanifold geometry should not exist in any product that is used in Poser. So, that shouldn't be causing anyone any issues with a professionally made product. And, it's the sort of thing one should be able to notice as soon as it loads into the preview window. "Should" at any rate.

Poser does a decent enough job of welding near-identical vertices in split groups, but it can also weld any verts that are near enough to each other. And, it does this nondestructively - maps are not effected.

Export->wavefront object-> single frame -> weld groups (All other options off) = done

That's the automagic way to get a split-grouped object as one welded, contiguous, group object so you can more easily deal with it. Then, its all about setting bits and pieces that have no contiguous geometry so they don't "fall off" during simulation. Buttons, zippers, epulets, cuffs, collars, etc... Often, you have to set up soft-decorated groups in the Cloth Room using the clunky face-picker thingie. But, it's much easier if you take your object first to a decent 3D program and just select those faces and assign them a different material name. That way, you can drill-down to those material names in the Cloth room and one-click assign them instead of fiddling with the "face-picker."

IF there was a script that differentiated between split-groups and welded those AND then assigned all non-contiguous geometry as being decorated groups, THAT would be awesome! But, that's putting a great deal of responsibility on a script. Either way, it's bound to get confused with certain piece of clothing.

• @morkonan big problem with the current Poser Python interface is the absolute inability to create a new vertex group from Python. Cannot be done directly. The best you can do is write the current geometry out to a file manually and add in a dummy 'g NewGroupName' line, before reloading the geometry. The Grouping Tool can create new groups, but it has no Python API to initiate that function. You can create HairGroups for the Hair Room from python, but they're not vertex groups and can't be used with ordinary mesh geometries in Python.

• Wardrobe Wizard has a script to turn a figure into a single prop.
    Wardrobe wizard->Utilities->Prop->Figure To Single Prop.

• @mr_phoenyxx said in Convert a figure to a prop:

@fbs7 Yeah, I think this top just isn't going to work well. It's too bad really. I was hoping to use a cloth sim to drape it over the back of a chair. Make my renders look better and more realistic.

You can use the Fitting Room to drape any prop or figure around using the Fitting Room; it's really awesome, as you can manipulate the figure/prop to do a lot of things - like fitting closely, smoothing, or bagging or falling off, or you can just move it around as you wish. As I like to say, one of the most wonderful pieces of software engineering I ever saw.