Stupid Poser Questions

• Just one stupid question this morning:

Poser has an intensity setting for lights in the properties panel. There is also an interface object that adjust intensity under the lighting gizmo. The two don't seem to be connected. Are they the same thing? I don't get it.

• @dcrosby Yes, same thing, but the intensity slider under the light gizmo has a finite setting from full on (100%) to full off (0%). The parameter dial can take you down to zero, but can set the intensity MUCH higher than 100%.

• @eclark1849 Ok thanks, but if the gizmo is set around the halfway point and properties panel is set to 150% what percentage am I actually getting? Maybe it doesn't matter and just remains a relative number. Somewhat odd though.

• @dcrosby I wanted to check. I upted the parameter dial to 5000 then moved the intensity dial to full off. It only went down to 3%. I slid it back to full on and it only went up to 100%. So the best I can offer is that the intensity slider is, at best, like a light dimmer switch.

• @eclark1849 Right. Good thing I don't try to punch real numbers into it in an attempt to achieve physically accurate lighting.

• Among the first thing I do when installing Poser is to turn that "Lightng" globe OFF.

IMO it's just clumsy to operate, not precise enough to really point/adjust a light, and it leaves you in complete darkness (pun) about which light you're actually trying to set.

IMO it's just a playtoy to make unexperienced users think that they can "control" lights.
    In fact they can't because the "tool" is just a "toy".
    The results of this misconception we see in so many Newbie renders.

I've long since started to place my own lights (which are named appropriately) and place them where real lights in real environment would be. This makes for realistic shadows.
    Then I try to adjust light intensity as best as i can to match my scene. Use the "Raytrace Preview" often!

After all looks fine, but some areas re stll too dark, I use my "Camera Flashlight" which works exactly like i the real world:
    It's attached to the "Main Camera" (or whichever camera you use to render)
    It moves with the camera because it's parented to it, so no need to adjust it separately.
    If you need it, just switch it on, do a few previews to adjust flash brightness (in FireFLy 10 to 49% mostly work fine), and then render.

You'll be surprised by the results.
    I made a "club" scene with a pole dance where the only light was the camera flashlight. It was bloody convincing!

So many people keep repeating what they learned from the trolls:

• how Poser's lighting is awkward.

That's not true.
    Once you've learned how to use it (e.g. just like physical lights), you'll ask yourself "Why didn't I learn this before?

'nough for today, sleep well all.

Karina

• @karina That camera flashlight seems a good idea. Can't wait to try it out.

• @dcrosby:
    The "Camera Flash" once was a part of the "Karina's Toolbox", but obviously it got lost somewhere along the way.

However it's easy to create:
    Spawn a new "SPOT" light and parent it to your main camera (the one you always use for rendering).

Go to the light's "parameters" tab.
    Set the light's "translation" dials to x=0, y=[+10 centimetres] and z=[+5 centimetres]. This will move your light to about the position where a classic flash would be when attached to the camera.
    Set "Intensity" to 30%. Remember your flash light has no "automatic" to adjust flash strength, so this is where you must control flash strength manually.
    Set "Angle End" to 70 or higher. This defines the angle of the light cone. Use higher values for wide angle shots. 70 is fine with 55 mm lens.

Now go to the light's "properties" tab.
    Make sure that it's a "Spot" light.
    Then turn it "ON" (check the box)
    Check the "Shadows" box too.
    Select "Ray Trace Shadows"!
    From the options which now become availabel, set "Shadow Blur Radius" to 0,3.
    Leave everything else as is for a start.

That's all.
    Now you have a camera flashlight which will move with your camera just like the real thing.
    Switch it on or off (manually), adjust the flaps with the "Angle" parameter.
    For even more realism you can adjust the flash's falloff with the "Dist Start" and Dist End" parameters.

Knowing that you're an experienced photographer please forgive me some of the "simplifications" I posted above.
    I just tried to make it accessible for those of us who didn't study photography.

Karina

• @karina The slider has some uses, i used it to help create a lightning flash in an animation.

Damn, I don't have enough privileges to post it.