Will somebody please help me get started?

• I have been trying to navigate the Poser 11 software for months, to no avail. I could really use some help making a character. It may take a phone call, because as I peruse these posts, I am clueless as to what people are talking about. They are speaking a language that is foreign to me, so please forgive my ignorance. I am beyond green in this arena, but I'm a fast learner!

• @ness What do you mean, by "making a character?" Would you please explain what do you want to do?

• Also what figure are you using?

• Poser Ambassadors

@ness
    Hi ness: Your question is rather "open". What exactly do you want to do?

Perhaps these videos (and the 5 others on my channel) can help?

• If you just want to start with the very basics of poser, ie how to load items, clothing etc I would recommend this video on you tube

once you have watched this you may have more ideas as to exactly what questions you want to ask.
    (Note this video is for an older version of poser but the interface hasn't changed much.)

• Poser Ambassadors

@ness
    If you are completely new, there are 2 things you can do :

• Read the 1000+ page manual that you can find in your Documentation folder.

• Open Poser, Click on Window in the top menu => Click on Quick Start => A pop-up window will open where you can follow a series of build in demonstrations. These range from Basics (Click on Start Project Guide), to Library, to Lighting, to Cameras, to a First project.
      Best regards, Tony

• @ness said in Will somebody please help me get started?:

I have been trying to navigate the Poser 11 software for months, to no avail. I could really use some help making a character. It may take a phone call, because as I peruse these posts, I am clueless as to what people are talking about. They are speaking a language that is foreign to me, so please forgive my ignorance. I am beyond green in this arena, but I'm a fast learner!

Hello Ness, welcome.

Basically two ways to make a character in Poser. Easy way - use one of the pre-built models. On the very top right of Poser's main screen, where it looks like 4 books, it's the library. Click on it, click on 1st tab (Library), click on 1st icon (Figures), then choose a figure you like. For example, Poser 2016 / People / Kate 2/ Kate Casual is a nice little girl. You notice she has no hair, so click in the 4th icon at the top (Hair), go to Poser 2016 / People / Kate 2 Hair / Kate 2 Conforming. Voila, now she has hair.

Now you can click on the 3 icon on the top left, the one with cross-hair (Translate); you can click and drag any part of her body, say the hands.

Now on the bottom you see frame number 00001 of 00030; click on the 1 and change to 15; now move her body around a bit more; then click on 15 and change to 30, and move her body around a bit more. Now click on the Play white triangle on the bottom left - voila, you got your first animation!

• @fbs7 said in Will somebody please help me get started?:

@ness said in Will somebody please help me get started?:

I have been trying to navigate the Poser 11 software for months, to no avail. I could really use some help making a character. It may take a phone call, because as I peruse these posts, I am clueless as to what people are talking about. They are speaking a language that is foreign to me, so please forgive my ignorance. I am beyond green in this arena, but I'm a fast learner!

Hello Ness, welcome.

Basically two ways to make a character in Poser. Easy way - use one of the pre-built models. On the very top right of Poser's main screen, where it looks like 4 books, it's the library. Click on it, click on 1st tab (Library), click on 1st icon (Figures), then choose a figure you like. For example, Poser 2016 / People / Kate 2/ Kate Casual is a nice little girl. You notice she has no hair, so click in the 4th icon at the top (Hair), go to Poser 2016 / People / Kate 2 Hair / Kate 2 Conforming. Voila, now she has hair.

Now you can click on the 3 icon on the top left, the one with cross-hair (Translate); you can click and drag any part of her body, say the hands.

Now on the bottom you see frame number 00001 of 00030; click on the 1 and change to 15; now move her body around a bit more; then click on 15 and change to 30, and move her body around a bit more. Now click on the Play white triangle on the bottom left - voila, you got your first animation!

Oh, I was forgetting. 2nd way to get your character is when none of the stock charaters meet what you need. Say you want a giant chicken - oh no, no giant chickens in the library! You can go to Content Paradise and buy something closer to what you need, or go to Renderosity and buy a model or download a free model if it fits your needs.

Now, if you still don't have what you need, then you can build your own giant chicken. Now... that's a challenge. You really can't make a new character in Poser. You need to use an external mesh editor like Blender, Hexagon, Wings3D, Houdini, ZBrush, etc.., etc..., etc...; there are some 50 alternatives around, and everybody seems to have one or another in a very particular way. Then you import the mesh into Poser, add a skeleton to it ("rig it"), add textures, add morphs. It's a very laborious and time-consuming process, one that I never mastered.

It's much easier to use a built-in library character, to download a free one, or to purchase one that fits your needs. But it has limitations, of course -- if giant chickens are you thing, alas, I never actually see a giant chicken around, although I did see a cheerleading elephant!

• @ness said in Will somebody please help me get started?:

... because as I peruse these posts, I am clueless as to what people are talking about. They are speaking a language that is foreign to me, so please forgive my ignorance.

Don't feel bad about it. I have a feeling half of us here have no idea what the other half is talking about. So my tactic is half the time I say "I agree with that!!!", and the other half I say "You big jabberwocki, I don't agree with any that!!!!".

Oddly enough, half the time I say anything here 50% of the people agree, and the other 50% disagree... hmm.. somehow I feel there's some copycat around...

• Poser can read an FBX rigged file out of Blender. Or, take your unrigged figure, export as grouped OBJ, import into Poser, and rig manually, assigning bones to polygon groups in the process. I have done both (but only low-poly figures).

The key thing is grouping the polygons in the figure so that Poser can identify them. There is a convention on Poser bone names which you need to keep.

After rigging, there is the matter of adjusting the Joint Parameters to get the body to bend correctly without breaking apart or looking strange. And using weight painting helps here.

Texturing and shader set ups for the surface node familes is another stage.

• @ibr_remote said in Will somebody please help me get started?:

Poser can read an FBX rigged file out of Blender. Or, take your unrigged figure, export as grouped OBJ, import into Poser, and rig manually, assigning bones to polygon groups in the process. I have done both (but only low-poly figures).

The key thing is grouping the polygons in the figure so that Poser can identify them. There is a convention on Poser bone names which you need to keep.

After rigging, there is the matter of adjusting the Joint Parameters to get the body to bend correctly without breaking apart or looking strange. And using weight painting helps here.

Texturing and shader set ups for the surface node familes is another stage.

Hmm... so in principle I can export my FBX from Poser, import in Blender, and then do the animation in Blender, correct? Would only need to add the morphs one by one, perhaps by generating full body morphs in Poser first?

• @fbs7 I have not tried that process but you could try. I usually take from Blender into Poser and animated or pose inside Poser.

• @ibr_remote said in Will somebody please help me get started?:

@fbs7 I have not tried that process but you could try. I usually take from Blender into Poser and animated or pose inside Poser.

Yeah, and I can't use Blender for modelling (except for some very simple things like creating a cube, that I can do), so I never thought of using it for much.

But... if I can export assets via FBX, then maybe I can try to use Blender for animation! Exactly the opposite of what people do. I never tried that as I have no assets for Blender, but I can migrate say 6 models there, I might give it a try!

ps: I suspect I can also create a sphere in Blender... I think...

• @fbs7 Thank you! I'll try this. I appreciate everyone's help! I neglected to set this up so that I receive notices when I get replies to my request, so please forgive the delay in my response to you all!

I see a couple of you asked me what I mean by create a character. I have tried working with the pre-built models and can dress them and pose them, but I can't adjust the face or the hair. And I would like to add a renaissance wardrobe, but that's not in my current pool. Where can I get more selections on clothes, accessories, backgrounds, and animals?

• @vilters LOL

• Poser Ambassadors

@ness Try Content paradise for more historical clothing for the Poser models.
    http://www.contentparadise.com/DefaultV2.aspx

• @Ghostman K, thanks!

• I see a couple of you asked me what I mean by create a character. I have tried working with the pre-built models and can dress them and pose them, but I can't adjust the face or the hair. And I would like to add a renaissance wardrobe, but that's not in my current pool. Where can I get more selections on clothes, accessories, backgrounds, and animals?

For rigged characters (i.e, figures, animals, conforming clothes) your options are a bit limited, because not everybody has characters rigged for Poser; Content Paradise has several, DAZ3D has some nice freebies there, Renderosity also has a few.

For props (i.e. warbdrobe, dynamic clothes, accessories) you can just google for OBJ or 3DS and the name of what you want; same places above have them, but also many many many others. Two places in particular stand out for me: archive3d.net (I searched "wardrobe" there and got 26 page of returns, most of them free), and the repository for SketchUp. In particular people keep adding stuff to SketchUp all the time, so chances whatever you're looking for you'll find there -- it's usually one of the first places I go to find stuff.

• @fbs7 Thank you so much!! Can I ask some questions about these?

1. Do I sign in to Poser and import these characters/wardrobes?
    2. Will the clothing automatically conform to the characters?
    3. If I select a character from Content, can I adjust the face, etc. to suit my needs?
    4. Are the characters from the other sites posable?

Thanks a lot for your help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.