PP11 Out of Memory Crash using Superfly.

• Thank you wimvdb

Attached, my render settings. I think they are the basic default settings. I do notice the cpu changeable option is greyed out. A Characteristic between poser 11 and poser 11 pro, that 11 is said not support gpu rendering at present. If i rebuild the complete scene in poser 11pro, it renders superfly no problem. it is only when importing poser 2014 scenes into 11 that i have problems.
    0_1509624529231_PP11 Suplerfy Settings.jpg
    My Nvidia cuda drivers are fine, graphics settings are correct so i am turning to serious head scratching mode.
    Thanks.
    Pat.

• I have opened a ticket about this PP11 non render and crash problem with Smith Micro in the hope they can put some light on the matter. In the meanwhile i have swapped around several different graphics cards, all with the same results. I am loathed to spend another few hundred quid to find out it's not the card at all.
    Several forum threads on other sites suggest it could be the CUDA version required to be at least 5.0 before PP11 does it's SuperFly magic. Having poured over many pages of Poser installation, Graphic card stipulations and general rubbish i just don't see anywhere written by Smith Micro the requirement for the CUDA version to be that of 5.0 or above. Does anyone have this documentation? I thought the configuration of running AutoCAD 9 on a DOS platform back in the 80's was a minefield of stress. But this! The problems with this PP11 are nothing short of Biblical!

• Ah... importing an old scene.

Change the render settings to Firefly. Do a quicky render. Save the scene. Then, reopen it and see if it now allows you to choose all the normal Superfly settings. (PS - Poser's cache is weird, you may have to restart Poser to clear it out. It's worth a shot.)

Also, do you use D3D's "Firefly Render" option script? It supports Superfly, but it can't make adjustments to the Superfly options. So, if you try using that, make sure it's updated to the Superfly fix, then set your Superfly options as normal, but then you can use the script to launch a Superfly render at those options.

IOW, if you have that script installed and have used it with that scene, you may wish to try patching it up so its as current as it gets, then use it to render once and then save the legacy scene to see if that works.

• @patlane said in PP11 Out of Memory Crash using Superfly.:

Any ideas as to why this would happen.

Some more details on your system and on the scene and its memory load (see the Log) might help. I might be missing it, but I'm not sure if you're rendering Superfly in CPU or GPU.

If you render with GPU using Superfly, my understanding - having had memory issues myself (you might be able to find the threads here) - from various tests, is that you can get two distinct behaviours from Poser, depending on the setting under Edit > General Preferences > Render > 'Seperate Process'.

If you turn it ON, Poser seems (and I stress seems) to be limited by the actual memory on your GPU. So a 4GB GPU card will refuse to render scenes that Poser indicates in its Log as needing more than that (or slightly less). However, if you turn that OFF, Poser seems to be able to off-load some into your system RAM - an innovation added, as I understand it, after initial release. I recall it reserving half the system's total, but I'm not sure on the details. In any case, this could greatly expand the room you have for loading complex, or large texture-heavy, scenes. This, to emphasize, is when using the GPU to render.

• Thanks both for your comments.
    morkonan, no i haven't tried this way, but it is worth a go. I had also forgotten all about the render option scripts. So thank you for your process ideas.

adosity.
    The greyed out option in the superfly render settings tells me i am using CPU, However the load preset dropdown box gives me options for several GPU presets?
    My processor is AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G X4
    onboard Ram is 8gb
    Video card is Nvidia GeForce GT 730 PCI-e 2gb ram.
    However today i have swapped out and installed Geforce Gtx 1060 and Geforce 210 video cards to test with different cards, drivers and cuda versions that perhaps Poser may just 'simply' hate the ground that Nvidia walks on.
    On the plus side perhaps Nvidia just loves to superfly render that bloody Andy robot from the default scene (And Only That Default Scene) I cant fault Superfly but i really want to move on from Andy.
    I have unticked the Seperate Process box, and ticked it on again during many variations of render configurations tried. And with the several video cards i have installed. I may have gone through several dozen PP11 crashes during the process of elimination of the fault.
    It brings me to two assumptions.
    First i believe the option of changing from cpu to gpu being greyed out is a major part of the problem. And the second which i have recently noticed. (In between the 17th and 18th crash) I managed to copy the crash log indicated the fault starts with 'MSVCR120.dll'. Also the 'Collect Screen Inventory' Script reports that not all of the files can be found? PP11 is looking in the wrong place?? Considering the high res convertible car and the figure Rex come from the only PP11 content library loaded onto my system during initial install is baffling.

SmithMicro support have advised me to download the updates and reinstall. But before i do, i am going to put the kettle on and try some of morkoman's configurations.
    Thanks
    Pat :)

• @patlane said in PP11 Out of Memory Crash using Superfly.:

The greyed out option in the superfly render settings tells me i am using CPU

Right, if it's greyed out it seems to suggests that it's not available and that you're using Poser 11 (not Pro, which is the only version that supports GPU rendering for reasons best known to SM) and are thus rendering with CPU. But I was unsure because you mentioned:

@patlane said in PP11 Out of Memory Crash using Superfly.:
    If i rebuild the complete scene in poser 11pro, it renders superfly no problem.

Which opened up the possibility that you do have access to the GPU option. I can't recall having memory issues when rendering with CPU, so I'm unsure what could be going on. Indeed, the description of the issue makes me think something other than normal program limitations is going wrong somewhere along the way. I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of suggestions on that.

• Hi there

As above you will need to have Poser 11 Pro as Poser 11 doesn't have or does offer GPU rendering option and due this is probably that option greyed out...

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• No GPU rendering is possible in Poser Pro 11 on macOS with AMD Radeon GPU. Only Nvidia, which typically isn't bundled with recent iMacs.

• Thank you for the driver link Jura. I am now updated to the latest driver version 382.96
    It seems that Poser has decided to ignore the update and continue to provide me with misery every time i try and use SuperFly. Now i can render in SuperFly anything that is installed in the PP11 content library, anything that is which has not been exported using the Collect Screen Inventory Utility. This just corrupts the original content causing PP11 to crash and burn.
    The SM help team believe this may have something to do with indexing and permissions. So i have installed other props, characters and pose files directly into the PP11 content library, re-index... and 'they' don't superfly render either?
    I don't get it, Daz sees the GPU. 3DCoat is exceptionally happy with it. But Poser stands completely ignorant of it..
    My only trick left is to set fire to the whole lot.

• Poser Ambassadors

Thank you for the driver link Jura. I am now updated to the latest driver version 382.96
    It seems that Poser has decided to ignore the update and continue to provide me with misery every time i try and use SuperFly. Now i can render in SuperFly anything that is installed in the PP11 content library, anything that is which has not been exported using the Collect Screen Inventory Utility. This just corrupts the original content causing PP11 to crash and burn.
    The SM help team believe this may have something to do with indexing and permissions. So i have installed other props, characters and pose files directly into the PP11 content library, re-index... and 'they' don't superfly render either?
    I don't get it, Daz sees the GPU. 3DCoat is exceptionally happy with it. But Poser stands completely ignorant of it..
    My only trick left is to set fire to the whole lot.

What is your workflow?
    What are you using the CollectSceneInventory utility for? It is meant exporting a complete scene for importing into another application or to load a scene in Poser on another machine which does not have the used props in it.
    The utility saves all geometry, textures and material settings in one folder. That is all it does.
    If you have set File Search to None in General Preferences in the library tab, it may not find all geometry and textures, Set the File Search to Shallow instead and it will find them.

You have a 2GB video ram card. This is not much for rendering with GPU, a single figure with clothing and hair might already fill that up.
    But that does not explain why it will render the same scene when you load the props from the library and that Poser crashes if you load it via collectSceneIInventory.

One other tip for GPU rendering:

• Set Branch Path Tracing to Off when your render with GPU. I requires more VRAM and it also is more taxing on the GPU and may time out.

• Hello wimvdb.
    The reason behind using the CollectSceneInventory Utility i believe was to check permissions. The request came from the Smith Micro Help Team in an attempt to eliminate possible problems, errors bit by bit. I have a current ongoing ticket with SmithMicro whereby they message for me to turn this on, switch that off, in order to get closer to the problem. However the SuperFly rendering problem seems to have got worse over the last 48 hours in such as importing the most basic of figures from the PP11 content library now crashes on render. (They don't even have hair). I believe a complete reinstall of PP11 will alleviate many of my problems Hopefully.
    Pat.

• Poser Ambassadors

@patlane
    Just to be sure - you are running the 64bit version of Poser Pro?
    0_1510569498034_p64.jpg

Wim

• I am running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. So i downloaded the PP11 32 bit version.
    Is this where the problem lies?

• Poser Ambassadors

@patlane <<
    Probably the Windows 32 bit memory limitation of 2 GB. => Only 2GB of memory / app.

Does not matter how much RAM you have installed because each app can only use 2GB at a time.

Render in separate process (setting in Poser's General preferences) can help sometimes. => Or render in Queue in the Render settings.

• Poser Ambassadors

I am running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. So i downloaded the PP11 32 bit version.
    Is this where the problem lies?

I have a strong suspicion it does.
    As Vilters said, the 2GB address space is probably not enough to run it with Superfly.
    With Firefly you can use the external process which frees up some memory space, but that does not work with Superfly. In 64bit Windows there is no more need for it since the address space is much larger.

• Vilters, wmvdb. Thank you.
    OUCH! It Hurts.
    I can only apologize for my blatant stupidity. Why didn't i check this first?
    I believe my blushing embarrassment is by far faster than any graphics card on the market you can buy. I will be back in a few days as a better person and much humbled by this trauma. In the meantime you may laugh and call me by any profanity fitting. I deserve it.
    Again. Thank you very much for your help.
    Pat (32bit) Lane.