Poser 11 eats polygons. Why?

• Whenever I use P11 I often stumble on this 'polygon eating' bug. I've seen it in M4, V4 nd PE. It occurs when either smoothing morphs or smoothing Weight Maps. Its undoable, cannot be restored with the morph brush, can be zero'ed if within a group. Basically its weird, vertices literally disappear. Its not like they show up elsewhere, they're entirely gone, but they can get restored. Its been there since SR4 I think. This is SR6 (W7 64bits), but I doubt it will be any different in the other SRs.

What is it?

Method to replicate: load up M4's mesh and just start smoothing with a large brush around armpits, mouth, eyes. Also sometimes occurs when smoothing weight maps.

(PS: don't worry it won't affect PE, PE is getting developed in P10)

0_1509712822513_eating polys.png

• It has never happened to me. Never saw anything like that and I rig/smooth with pP11 every day-almost all day long.

• that's weird. Have you exported the mesh to another app yet, in order to check if verticies are completley gone? Don't we have SR 8 by now? Is it still there?

• good idea I can try that! Yeah I have SR6 on one machine and SR7 on the other. Haven't installed SR8 yet.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before. Its quite persistent with me. I'll try SR8 at some point but I doubt it will have changed.

• I just tried with built 11.0.8.34338 which I understand is latest.
    M4 loaded out of the box. Smooth brush as new morph, full strength and brush radius large enough to cover the arm from armpit to wrist: no part of M4 being eaten. Same for mouth corner: There also no Polifagy.

• I did the following in SR7 just now (totally different PC, brand and installation)

• loaded M4b base mesh
    • made a morph called test
    • widened the smooth brush so that it spans the chest as well as part of the upper arms (radius 0.1634 meters)
    • magnitude at 1.0
    • smoothed around for 5 seconds
    • smoothed again for 5 seconds
    • rotated the camera (main camera)
    • smoothed again for 5 sec and a gap started forming from his groin

going to test the preview renderer now. Edit:

• SreeD no difference
    • Camera change no difference
    • set morph dial to 0.0 hole is gone. set to 0.01 hole is back

Will try SR8 in a bit.... actually I'm reluctant to update to SR8 I've heard that there was trouble with the root nodes. SR7 seems to hold up.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, its no biggie, I was just curious to see if anyone had seen this before. I don't really use P11 for professional stuff, just poses and some rendering really.

• @erogenesis
    Just tried exactly that same procedure. Mike's left body side has become utterly smooth but is still fully intact.

• @F_Verbaas what is polyfagy?

• @erogenesis
    Polygons being eaten.

• @F_Verbaas said in Poser 11 eats polygons. Why?:

@erogenesis
    Polygons being eaten.

aha. Its like a fungus lol. My V4 has Polyfagy!

but have you seen anything like that in previous versions I wonder?

• @erogenesis
    No, never seen it happen except when using shrink/fit morph brush

• @F_Verbaas said in Poser 11 eats polygons. Why?:

@erogenesis
    No, never seen it happen except when using shrink/fit morph brush

Yes I might have seen that too.

I'll try SR8 then.

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis OMG ROFL, this really never happens to me. Just test this out, but no, I don't have this.

• @Ladonna I think my computers are haunted. I get such weird issues in P11 that nobody else has!

• @erogenesis said in Poser 11 eats polygons. Why?:

@Ladonna I think my computers are haunted. I get such weird issues in P11 that nobody else has!

The way you push Poser to it's limits, I suspect you are hitting boundary cases.

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis I hear from England really already weird stuff . You know we French know many strange stories from this part of Europe. lol
    But will now make a few more tests too. This is creepy. But want to know more.

• @ssgbryan said in Poser 11 eats polygons. Why?:

The way you push Poser to it's limits, I suspect you are hitting boundary cases.

I've been told that too, but I think its actually the opposite. Poser performs amazingly when pushed to its limits, its usually small mundane little things that screw up, and its mostly with p11 (which might be obvious since its the current version getting worked on). For example this issue is nothing else but a freshly loaded mesh and the morph tool. The only possible explanation would be something like:

• scene units (mine is set to meters)
    • my graphics card (twin frozr GTX760, all three PCs have them)
    • and perhaps a bug in my start scene which comes from P10... but its just a backdrop, skydome and an HDRI
    • for the rest I really wouldn't have a clue what's causing this.

@Ladonna said in Poser 11 eats polygons. Why?:

@erogenesis I hear from England really already weird stuff . You know we French know many strange stories from this part of Europe. lol
    But will now make a few more tests too. This is creepy. But want to know more.

hehe, yeah these English are a funny bunch. I know one with a cellar, and weird noises come from it. He's a very good scriptor though, so I'll forgive him. Speaking of @snarlygribby is he making anything new these days?

yeah let me know. But honestly don't bother too much. Maybe it is fixed in SR8, but I'm always hesitant to update these days, especially mid-rpoject. SR7 seems to hold out so far lol...

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis Those Ghosts are everywhere. I swear we have one in our Chalet too. But nobody believes me. lol
    No, I will not bother myself to much, but maybe I can reproduce this error because this is really something I never seen before and it would interest me how and why. Because when it can happens to you, maybe other user are also effected.

• Poser Ambassadors

I've used P11 pro almost exclusively to rig my figures and this has never happened to me. I've run into some other oddities at times but they were resolved. I've also used P11 to weightmap M4 and rerig Paul. For the most part it's run so smooth that I don't even bother with P10 anymore and was considering uninstalling it recently to free up some space.

I'm still running SR6.

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes, I know that issue.
    Discovered it a long time ago during beta-testing.
    Not at home and not at Poser, but I will search my archives tonight.
    I remember reporting it in Mantis at the time.
    But that was before PP11.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.